M156 vs m157 amg engines c63 e63 amg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Re the M157, I know some folks feel the engine is laggy and that's definitely a characteristic in comfort mode for smooth acceleration. In sport plus or manual mode there is literally no lag whatsoever. I have the s version with the LSD out of the box so maybe it puts power down better before the safety nannies kick in but I really can't see any lag there except from the transmission on changing gears. The engine is a pure brute. I've owned 3 turbo AMGs and 1 NA 6.2l AMG and hired the 204 a couple of times for road trips and done around 60k miles in various AMGs over around 5 years and so my right foot is very much in sync with the turbo AMGs and I have to say you need to go gently on the throttle or you won't go anywhere fast. It may feel like lag but in many cases the transmission is shifting down first or the TC is kicking in if you're putting your foot down too much.

If you keep the car in sport handling mode, I'd be really really surprised if you could notice any engine turbo lag. Worse, you'll more likely notice the rear end struggling to put the power down

Re the M157, I know some folks feel the engine is laggy and that's definitely a characteristic in comfort mode for smooth acceleration. In sport plus or manual mode there is literally no lag whatsoever. I have the s version with the LSD out of the box so maybe it puts power down better before the safety nannies kick in but I really can't see any lag there except from the transmission on changing gears. The engine is a pure brute. I've owned 3 turbo AMGs and 1 NA 6.2l AMG and hired the 204 a couple of times for road trips and done around 60k miles in various AMGs over around 5 years and so my right foot is very much in sync with the turbo AMGs and I have to say you need to go gently on the throttle or you won't go anywhere fast. It may feel like lag but in many cases the transmission is shifting down first or the TC is kicking in if you're putting your foot down too much.

If you keep the car in sport handling mode, I'd be really really surprised if you could notice any engine turbo lag. Worse, you'll more likely notice the rear end struggling to put the power down
I have to say, I don't notice much lag with the M157 in S, S+, M (MCT box). Certainly not compared with other (VAG, Ford especially) cars I've had. I haven't had other AMGs to compare to, but good to hear different opinions on the comparisons with other AMGs, as I definitely want another!

The lag is very minimal trust if you drive the M177 back to back you will see the difference. Again this is me being very very picky.
Also when you drive them back to back you can tell the M157 engine does pull harder too.
Iv driven both in Sport+ TC in sport and TC off

Amazing really that there's so much animosity on the forum between members regarding these two engines...never in all my various forum memberships have I come across such arguments/disagreements.
I personally chose the M157 as it's slightly more economical to run - didn't fancy sub 20mpg on my commute, it was a later generation car & after lots of Audi & BMW I fancied a fast Mercedes.
With regards to the two engines, has there actually been a full on M156 vs M157 group test...I don't mean pub talk or **** waving but a proper one on one test.....??
I've never come across an M156 whilst out & about but i'm sure if I did I personally wouldn't be able to resist the urge "have a go" & assumingly show it a clean pair of heels :)

Last edited:
Amazing really that there's so much animosity on the forum between members regarding these two engines...never in all my various forum memberships have I come across such arguments/disagreements.
I personally chose the M157 as it's slightly more economical to run - didn't fancy sub 20mpg on my commute, it was a later generation car & after lots of Audi & BMW I fancied a fast Mercedes.
With regards to the two engines, has there actually been a full on M156 vs M157 group test...I don't mean pub talk or **** waving but a proper one on one test.....??
I've never come across an M156 whilst out & about but i'm sure if I did I personally wouldn't be able to resist the urge "have a go" & assumingly show it a clean pair of heels :)

🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴

While the sound of the M156 shows the 157 what it's lacking in the sound department 😁

What is lag, the M156 doesn't do lag 😂😂 it does thunder ⚡💥 kurchigger kurchigger 😁😉

Last edited:
I agree, in fact I would go a step further and say that many of these threads on this whole debate, verge on just plain 'weird'. Of course, who am I to comment, I own but a lowly (!) M177...

While the sound of the M156 shows the 157 what it's lacking in the sound department 😁

A: I wasn't aware this was an exhaust note thread.....
B: You generally can't hear what's behind you... :)

Last edited:

A: I wasn't aware this was an exhaust note thread.....
B: You generally can't hear what's behind you... :)

You say you wasn't aware of the thread being an exhaust note thread. It's titled a Vs thread, to me that suggests many aspects!

You may as well drive a Tesla, as you won't see or hear one in your chariot 😉

A: many things are faster than a going on 13 year old engine. e:i M156

B: You just keep tuning your non bullet proof 157. There are plenty faster cars than that about nowadays 😉😁.

156 has nothing to prove its old tech, but it has status. And still to this day holds its own, on many fronts 👏

Last edited:
^ Tom, change your password.
It seems a 5 year old has hacked you and is posting garbage;)😬.

For Gods sake give it a rest. Nobody really cares.

You obviously care to post on the thread. Your presious little mobile.

Rest of what, can I not have an opinion.

You come across very odd, on the jokes thread. That isn't very good or funny in my opinion. Very disrespectful if you ask me 👎👎 bad darts

This thread is now entering a parallel universe. Can we go back to car-related posts, please...

" note to self"

Just let M157 folk post on this thread. M156 owners aren't worthy of such privilege's! 🙄😂

Reminds me a bit of Inspector Clouseau and Dreyfus!

🥱🥱🥱😴😴😴

What is lag, the M156 doesn't do lag 😂😂 it does thunder ⚡💥 kurchigger kurchigger 😁😉
This is true and we will never see a 6.2 litre engine in a road car again

So I think the conclusion is…

buy the M157 if you want a more modern, efficient & powerful, tuneable & arguably reliable engine with ‘less’ inherent design defects…. (I know there are a few)…

buy the M156 if you want a ‘somewhat’ better exhaust note, aren’t concerned ‘as much’ about performance/future tuning (comparatively), and are after a high revving n/a engine…

Surely no one can argue against this balanced view? 🤷‍♂️

So I think the conclusion is…

buy the M157 if you want a more modern, efficient & powerful, tuneable & arguably reliable engine with ‘less’ inherent design defects…. (I know there are a few)…

buy the M156 if you want a ‘somewhat’ better exhaust note, aren’t concerned ‘as much’ about performance/future tuning (comparatively), and are after a high revving n/a engine…

Surely no one can argue against this balanced view? 🤷‍♂️

157:

More modern ✅

Tuneable 🤷 debatable, cost big factor on the winner here.

More reliable ❎ many more defects showing it head as the engine ages.

156:

Better Exhaust note, stock or modified 100% ✅

Higher Reving N/A no lag through the power band ✅✅ double tick 😁

I would say that is a fair balance on both units 😁✅

The 157 Is definitely not more reliable no way. ❎

How could I forget, award winning Engine M156✅😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom