R129 high end custom audio install (I hope!!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No comments taken to heart, I really love my music though. Home audio is all Arcam seperates with Sonus Faber speakers. Now that was an expensive day.

I'll get some pics up as we go along

Simon

Isn't this sometimes what a Merc (or any other) ownership is all about. Buying something and then modifying it. Be it big wheels, a lairy paint job or a banging stereo, a cup holder, or ally pedals .

Some people go for origianality, some go for a q - car and some go for an L.A drug dealer look that will knock your head off when you crank up the volume button or rev up with that big fat pipe.

If the O.P has a pukkka car then fair play if he does the up-grades, so what if his mods are cost more than the car is worth. If he is happy and the car is good then so what.

How boring woud it be if we all met up at a GTG and there were 20 cars, all in original condition. I sometimes think it takes balls to go somewhere else.

I wish I had the money, the car and the inguity to do something different.

Just so everyone is clear, car audio usually falls into two catagories

1 SPL

These guys love their base, the cars are loud and proud. Many compete to obtain the loudest system.

2 SQ

This is me. It's all about the quality, a full and flat frequency response perfectly tuned to the acoustic qualities of the car. This also includes getting the imaging right (where your head thinks the music is coming from). This is a real challenge in a car that spends 4 months with a hard top and 8 months with the soft top. It has to be tuned seperately for each.

Most pro installs will use an ocilloscope to measure the performance of each frequency step in your vehicle. The signal can then be tuned to match the car.

Failing that..........switch it all off and floor it. Love that V8!!!!

Simon

Almost forgot

Pics of headunit

DEH-P88RS-II.jpg

In the car

P1010068 copy.jpg

I have no idea what you are doing, car hi-fi is a mine-field to me.
The technology seems to move as quick as the next space shuttle.

When we bought our w202, I had a Kenwood stereo fitted by the brothers from Halfords. It is the model where the front flips up and ejects the cd's.

They did a super job, but now I have an I-Pod thingy connectd to it so cd's are no more. All the gubbins are hidden behind the dash, I can just p**s around with the remote and I have 6000 tracks at my desposal.

To be honest, where we live our longest drive will take no longer than 18 minutes...... We live in a small place.

Darrell

P.S I can listen to the Who......'Won't get fooled again' from my house to my work and that is it.

£3500 is certainly a lot of money, but still I am rather surprised over the shock on this forum of all (being a premium brand forum) when new car options for stereo/comand/changer comes to similar amounts & will sound nothing like this proposed system.
Also this money is small change compared to new price of car & can be justified by the saving you made (well that's how I might phrase it to my wife...)
I'm sure the quality will be great. Would love to do something similar, but was thinking about half the amount!
Are you self installing?
Have seen the head unit before. It is a smart, modern unit, yet at same time manages to look in keeping with the wood & the slightly older style of controls in your SL.
Keep us updated

Front end setup looks fairly similar to what I did to mine last year - P88RS2 headunit, plus a set of Rainbow 3-way comps.

However, after a quick test it became clear that no matter what you did, having the sub in the boot meant that everyone outside heard the bass better than you did in the cabin - there's an awful lot of sheet metal and other sound-deadening items in the way.

Therefore I removed the useless rear seats, and built a flat deck under which hides a pair of 8" subs and the amp. Even at 70 it still sounds clear and precise above the background (if quite loud) noise, which is job done in my book. No pics, as there's nothing really to see - it all looks fairly boring.

SL R129 rear deck

Hi I noticed your post re building rear deck for your MB SL R129. Did you self build? Do you have pics please as I would love to see them and have a go building a rear deck. My email for pics is [email protected].
Thanks in advance for your help and pics.

No offence but that thread does date from JANUARY 2009, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get much feedback?

As above, I didn't take pictures at the time but you may be in luck. I'm intending to redo the install later this year, will see if I can gather any useful pictures then.

Hi Simon, I know your original post is very old(as with most posts on this site) did you ever take/keep pics of the install in your MB SL?

Not sure if he's on the site anymore, his last posts were in 2010 and he was looking to sell the car

pics

First off, I'm going to town on my much loved R129 SL. I love everything about the car except the sorry excuse for sound that came through the speakers....so.

It's all coming out, and after 3 months planning, research, 4 installers and lots of great advice, first was the headunit

The car had an old Kenwood tape deck with 6 disk changer in the boot

No more

A Pioneer P88RSII headunit is in.

I love this headunit for 3 reasons

1. Asthetically it suits the car ( I also considered an Apline with imprint but it's look was far to bright for the car)

2. It sounds great

3. It came with a mic and it takes 5 minutes to set up it's own EQ. Now this won't suit everyone, but if I didn't have this, the whole car would need to be setup everytime I move from the soft top to the hard top.

Next is the 2nd stage

Amp and sub (3rd stage will be crossovers and 3ways up front, but more of that later)

I have bought

Genesis series III 5 channel amp

CDT Eurosport 10 ES10SQ subwoofer

Both of which are going in the boot in a custom build probably in leather

Would be very interested to see pix of build and cost, where are you having it done?

Are you having it done professionally or having a bash yourself?

cheers Rob

God those pics are big

Amp is the Genesis Series III 5 channel amp

Sub is the CDT Eurosport 10 ES10SQ

Both of these are going into the boot

A custom enclosure will be used for the sub. It only requires 0.6 cu ft so will sit really neatly above the well on the far left of the boot

The amp will be mounted where the windbreak is usually stored. The boot will then be re-upholstered in black and gray two-tone leather to match the new interior.

Following that will be Hertz HSC 163 3 ways up front.

Total budget for equipment £2,400

plus fabrication and upholstery

Hi simon is it finishednow? Any pix available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom