Replacing of heated seats switches with folding mirror switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rizal2510

I'm currently in the midst of fitting the facelifted w210 (folding/dimming/blinking) mirrors onto my w202. As my car does not come with folding/dimming, I need to add these in and I’ve gotten the necessary switch and harnesses.

My w202 comes with heated front seats but I won’t be needing them in the near future as I’m taking it away to a warmer climate ( 30 C all year round ) hence I was thinking of removing the switches and putting the folding switch in them.

PICT0066edited.jpg

The problem is that I’ve tried removing the switches only to find out that it comes together with a busbar connecting the two switches leaving me with two holes on the console. I also found out that the ASR and the tilt/motion sensor switches could not work with the removal of the heated switches as some of the contacts are integrated to the busbar assembly.

So my questions are :

1. Is there a blanking plate that could be used to cover the additional hole other than putting another mod in?
2. Any way to overcome the ASR and tilt/motion switch not working? I’ve noticed that two connections at the bottom of each switch is missing due to the removal of the busbar assembly ( assumed that they’re the live and earth connection ).

I know the obvious answer is to place the switch at the OEM placement which is next to the mirror adjuster switch but I’m not confident with my dremel skills especially with prospect of bu****ing the install and the price of a replacement console.

Any help and pointer is greatly appreciated.

To be honest, i think you have to take the bull by the horns. I woudlnt take the heated seats out, seems like a bit of a bodge.
Other option is to search around for another trim from breakers...

Fitting the proper switch in the proper location has to be easier than what you are attempting.

I see you have the carbon fibre effect trim, which is a hell of a lot easier to work with a dremel than the wood trim, (which has a couple of layers of metal in it !!), so I'd try and put the mirror switch in the correct place if I were you !

S.

sym said:
I see you have the carbon fibre effect trim, which is a hell of a lot easier to work with a dremel than the wood trim, (which has a couple of layers of metal in it !!), so I'd try and put the mirror switch in the correct place if I were you !

S.
Thanks for the replies guys. Seeing that the trim is only plastic, I have decided to cut a new hole in the OEM placement. I thought it was like in the w210, with metal layers, hence the reluctance.

The old dremel is coming out then but i need something to practise first before proceeding on the real trim, in case I messed up the install. ;)

That item isn't too expensive to buy new if you screw it up, I will check on the price for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom