• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The EV fact thread

BTW, average without variance is a meaningless figure.... ;)

And at a higher rate. Penalised for not using an app/ subscribing. See BP Pulse.

I actually find it annoying that there's no app for Shell Ubitricity's public chargers. You can't even have an account. Luckily, the browser on my phone remembers my details, and so I don't have to enter them every time again, but the whole concept is archaic. Plus, they're clearly missing a trick by not collecting their customers' personal data.

There’s no extra charge for not using the app. Just like Shell, BP, Tesco, IKEA or any other retailer who offers loyalty incentive schemes, you receive a discount or other offer if you use their loyalty app.
BP Pulse contactless no app customers pay between 15 and 16 pence more per kwh than app subscribers. Subscription to the BP Pulse app to get the cheaper kwh rates costs an additional £7.85 a month.

BP Pulse contactless no app customers pay between 15 and 16 pence per kwh more than app subscribers. Subscription to the BP Pulse app also costs an additional £7.85 a month.
Do you mean BP Pulse customers who choose not register and choose not to use the app don’t receive the 20% discount which they would be entitled to if they registered and subscribed?

Some people pay for their BP Pulse subscription, some don’t, which is why I previously posted that fees for subscription services may apply. For example I don’t pay for my subscription.

If you have to pay for the subscription and would infrequently use it then PAYG. If you don’t have to pay for the subscription - or would regularly use it - then subscribe as the benefit outweighs the cost.

It’s not a unique concept.

Amazon: if you use it once per year, then don’t pay for Prime and PAYG instead by paying for P&P. If you don’t have to pay or have several deliveries each month (or more) then pay for Prime.

Vodafone/O2/Tesco/GifGaf/etc: if you use your phone once per month, then don’t may for a contract and PAYG instead. If you use your phone multiple times every day then have a contract.

Instead of a flat front, could manufacturers put a bank of fans/turbines where the radiator would normally be to add some electricity to the batteries as the vehicle is moving forward? I appreciate it wouldn't be a large amount but as it's free would it help?

Is it time to talk about how stupid the prices are in Motorway Service stations for petrol, Starbucks, and even Mars Bars?

The "madness" of people paying two quid for a bottle of water or diet coke, because of convenience?

It seems just as relevant as people paying expensive rates for high speed charger top ups when they're driving 400 miles from London to Glasgow with barely any time to stop during that eight hour drive.

Not that my local Vicar will be interested. Her BMW I3 runs purely on the 2 pence per mile overnight juice that drops into her I3 every night. (Well, on those nights when she's driven anywhere during the day. When she does go further, she just plugs her little I3 into a three pin plug at her destination. Vicars are careful like that)

Do you mean BP Pulse customers who choose not register and choose not to use the app don’t receive the 20% discount which they would be entitled to if they registered and subscribed?

Some people pay for their BP Pulse subscription, some don’t, which is why I previously posted that fees for subscription services may apply. For example I don’t pay for my subscription.

If you have to pay for the subscription and would infrequently use it then PAYG. If you don’t have to pay for the subscription - or would regularly use it - then subscribe as the benefit outweighs the cost.

Amazon: if you use it once per year, then don’t pay for Prime and PAYG instead by paying for P&P. If you don’t have to pay or have several deliveries each month (or more) then pay for Prime.

Vodafone/O2/Tesco/GifGaf/etc: if you use your phone once per month, then don’t may for a contract and PAYG instead. If you use your phone multiple times every day then have a contract.
Do you mean BP Pulse contactless no app customers pay between 15 and 16 pence more per kwh than app subscribers who pay an additional £7.85 a month to get cheaper kwh rates?

Can you point out the option to wave the £7.85 monthly app subscription fee on the BP Pulse website? Link below. The first month free is mentioned but not seeing the option to never pay £7.85 a month to qualify for the lower kwh rates.

Do you mean BP Pulse contactless no app customers pay between 15 and 16 pence more per kwh than app subscribers who pay an additional £7.85 a month to get cheaper kwh rates?

Can you point out the option to wave the £7.85 monthly app subscription fee on the BP Pulse website? Link below. The first month free is mentioned but not seeing the option to never pay £7.85 a month to qualify for the lower kwh rates.

Open your BP Pulse app and then tap on Profile and then Membership.

1729633528905.png

Tap on Apply an offer code

1729633617636.png

If you are eligible, then pop your offer code in and your off and away. Give it a go in the BP Pulse app on your phone and you’ll see it..

.... driving 400 miles from London to Glasgow with barely any time to stop during that eight hour drive.
...reminds me of that Top Gear hypermiling episode with Clarkson in an Audi A8 diesel. London to Edinburgh and back on one tank.
Open your BP Pulse app and then tap on Profile and then Membership.

View attachment 162916

Tap on Apply an offer code

View attachment 162917

If you are eligible, then pop your offer code in and your off and away. Give it a go in the BP Pulse app on your phone and you’ll see it..
No mention of any in app offers on their website or any details regarding eligibility criterea. Think i will stick with the heavy oil. Carbon neutral of course thanks to the OM602.

You forgot to mention the Mercedes Benz Service Plan ;)

If you don't take out a plan, you get 'penalised' with higher servicing costs.

How dare they offer discounts....

...reminds me of that Top Gear hypermiling episode with Clarkson in an Audi A8 diesel. London to Edinburgh and back on one tank.
Talk to me about it !

My little petrol BeeEmmVee Drier can easily drive 550 miles without filling its tank.

While I need to stop THREE times for fuel, coffee and “defuelling.” As well as to stretch my legs and catch up with emails, admin & calls.

No mention of any in app offers on their website or any details regarding eligibility criterea. Think i will stick with the heavy oil. Carbon neutral of course thanks to the OM602.

Good to know. I live in London, and I've never driven to Edinburgh and back in my life. I must have been up there hundreds of times over the years, the train service from King Cross is very good (currently Lumo and LNER), choose the right train and you're in Waverley station in 4 hours and 20 minutes. Amazing service (OK, I lie, Lumo have a sh1ty 1st Class). Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.... the 'Edinburgh and back on a single tank' thing was just yet another anti-EV banter? I see, you got me there, well done, very clever indeed.

Charging networks like BP Pulse and Ionity partner with other complementary organisations - like car manufacturers, insurers, home electricity suppliers - as part of a commercial arrangement.

The benefit for the customer is preferential rates for charging using public chargers, and requires the use of an app. In the case of BP Pulse you add the offer code provided by their partner.

It’s not a q unique concept. Others do it too:
  • Compare the Market: Customers get 25% off at Cafe Nero and 241 cinema tickets.
  • Vodafone: Customers get 2 tickets for £8 at Odeon cinemas, free gifts from Costa, Sainsburys.
  • NatWest: Customers get free airport lounge access, free AA cover,
  • Shell: Customers get 29% discount for RAC breakdown services.
PS think you’re right, an EV probably isn’t right for you just yet.

I sense that you might not believe that some people don’t pay the BP Pulse subscription fee given that you have posted about it several times and spent time checking for the BP website,

Here’s the last three nil invoices for my own BP Pulse subscription. The free period which everyone gets when they register aren’t invoiced and hence it only shows invoices from June onwards.

Free, zero, nil, zilch, nada.

1729639856671.png

If you have an EV then you’re more likely to be invited to such offers by the car manufacturer, supplying dealer, insurer, etc. if you don't have an EV then you’re probably not going to be invited.

My experience is that I was offered free membership of BMW's charge card when I bought the i3. I think I used it twice, but soon discovered that most charge points were more than happy to take your debit/credit card for payment. Given I have only charged on just 4 occasions outside my own home in 15 months of EV ownership, you can imagine my response to BMW's offer to extend my use of a BMW charge card for another year at almost £8 per month!

I have also measured the losses in i3 charging at around 20% with the Granny charger, but I'm at a loss to see where the energy goes. :dk:
I understand the AC/DC conversion losses, but have never actually felt the slightest vestige of heat from either charger, cables or car.
Given that I now have 7p/kWh overnight charging to supplement 'free' solar charging from the house, it's not going to keep me awake at night...

[QUOTE="MikeInWimbledon

Not that my local Vicar will be interested. Her BMW I3 runs purely on the 2 pence per mile overnight juice that drops into her I3 every night. (Well, on those nights when she's driven anywhere during the day. When she does go further, she just plugs her little I3 into a three pin plug at her destination. Vicars are careful like that)
[/QUOTE]

Yeh, but God's paying for that, isn't he. 😉🙂👍

[QUOTE="MikeInWimbledon

Yeh, but God's paying for that, isn't he. 😉🙂👍
[/QUOTE]

No, her Parishioners are paying that 2 pence per mile

As for God, well, she's busy' with bigger issues.

I sense that you might not believe that some people don’t pay the BP Pulse subscription fee given that you have posted about it several times and spent time checking for the BP website,

Here’s the last three nil invoices for my own BP Pulse subscription. The free period which everyone gets when they register aren’t invoiced and hence it only shows invoices from June onwards.

Free, zero, nil, zilch, nada.

View attachment 162920

If you have an EV then you’re more likely to be invited to such offers by the car manufacturer, supplying dealer, insurer, etc. if you don't have an EV then you’re probably not going to be invited.
Your assertion that "Some people pay for their BP Pulse subscription, some don’t, which is why I previously posted that fees for subscription services may apply. For example I don’t pay for my subscription." is nowhere to be seen on the BP Pulse website. First month free is the only freebie showing online.

Maybe easier if you let us know what the eligibility criterea for the never pay a monthly fee option is. Or is it not an official option at all, instead a sweetener only offered to those who like to drive a hard bargain?

Your assertion that "Some people pay for their BP Pulse subscription, some don’t, which is why I previously posted that fees for subscription services may apply. For example I don’t pay for my subscription." is nowhere to be seen on the BP Pulse website. First month free is the only freebie showing online.

Maybe easier if you let us know what the eligibility criterea for the never pay a monthly fee option is. Or is it not an official option at all, instead a sweetener only offered to those who like to drive a hard bargain?
This is not a promotion from BP Pulse, it’s a benefit offered by their partners, so you won’t find it on the BP Pulse website.

The eligibility criteria are as simple as being a customer of a partner to BP Pulse as I said in this post last night.

Charging networks like BP Pulse and Ionity partner with other complementary organisations - like car manufacturers, insurers, home electricity suppliers - as part of a commercial arrangement.

A couple of genuine and practical questions for EV owners that I'd need answers to if I was to buy one.

My regular longer trip is 100 miles over the M62 to York. The M62 being the highest motorway in the UK there are several steep climbs. Even though you gain on the way down my current petrol consumption is still 10% higher overall than it is on flat motorway trips.

How would that terrain impact on an EV's claimed range ?

If an EV's range was compromised by all that climbing hills, I doubt that I would be able to get there and back without recharging.

Although the cost of recharging is trivial, If I was doing it on a regular basis I wouldn't expect it to be free. If you recharge with a granny cable at a private dwelling, does the car provide you with a figure for the total KWh consumed in order to financially compensate the owner of the socket you are plugged in to ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom