Top Gear sucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Surely Clarksons wages would be included in the PRE TAX profit, as an overhead or wages, you are quoting POST TAX profit

It would appear that the BBC makes TG, and then licences BBC Worldwide/Bedder to sell the show overseas?

Thus the costs of making it are seperate?

Those of us that are car enthusiasts (which I guess must be at leat 90% of everyone reading this) get no real net benefit from it apart from its comedy value. The content of the program no longer caters for our need on learning about the finer points of a paticular car. (When did they last compare cubic boot capcity between two models like they used to do in the '80s, but how boring for the average viewer) Hence we are likely to see a biased opinion against TG on here.

The Boot capacity was done when comparing the E63 to an M5, showing that their capacity was similar to a Range Rover:D

Cannot believe the popularity of Top Gear! Wake up, smell the coffee, buck the hype – this has to be the most puerile tosh ever on the box. The presenters? C'mon! 'Men as Boys' is so contrived it makes me want to vomit.

I gave up when they had a lorry race and one lorry had a big cake in it.

TG = overhyped Chuckle Brothers material.

Expect Clarkson to say something offensive to prop up the ratings a few episodes in, when even the diehard fans start getting board of the same old rubbish...

So just allowing for Clarksons pay the show would appear to make a massive loss?

This has been gone through when last series started.

The economics of organisations such as the BBC are that they spend a given amount to fill say an hour of broadcast at a certain time. That's a cost.

So before selling it on and allegedly making money or not making money the BBC are looking at a *cost* of filling that hour.

What that means is that if they reduce that cost (that's before making a an actual profit) by partnering it with another broadcaster or a straight sale elsewhere they are ahead.

So if the BBC expects to pay, say, £250,000 per hour for that type of programming for 12 shows a year that's £6 million. Anything that recovers against that cost is effectively a profit. So if TG costs £12 million to and they recover £8 million through sales of the show - then appear to lose £4 million but actually they made a £2 million (it cost £4 million to screen instead of £6 million) and moreover they have managed to put out a 'better' show with a £12 million budget to make instead of £6 million.

Myth.

Jeremy Clarkson made how much? - Noeman GSM

"popular motoring series generated an £8.6 million turnover though sales outside the UK"

"£1.8 million of that was post-tax profit"

"BBC Worldwide owns just over 50 per cent of Bedder 6, which was created by Jeremy and Andy two years ago."

(so the Beeb cops £900k)

Jeremy Clarkson did not know pay was being slashed - mirror.co.uk

"Clarkson, 49, whose £2million annual pay"

So just allowing for Clarksons pay the show would appear to make a massive loss?
Post tax profit is an unusual expression, but allowing for tax that would mean the show made approximately £2.7 million pre tax profit and pre tax profit figures would include all expenses so presumably JC's salary will already have been taken into account.

I also hate Top Gear with a passion and I do not watch it, I do not watch big brother either similar sort of trash over the top presenters.

gary

These days I watch hardly any TV! It's mostly garbage - soaps or reality TV cr*p! (Although I get a laugh from Come Dine with Me - my wife likes it!)

But, I do think TG is entertaining in it's childish way. Not worth watching from a car perspective, but as a comedy show with three fairly humorous guys behaving like "oafs" it makes for a pleasant hour of watching!

Interesting that so many "car" shows have been and gone and TG survives on - must be Clarkson's writing. He does actually write quite funny books....

Maybe the two TG threads should be merged?

These days I watch hardly any TV! It's mostly garbage - soaps or reality TV cr*p! (Although I get a laugh from Come Dine with Me - my wife likes it!)

Couldn't agree more although Tuesday nights are great on ITV 4 with Minder at 8.00pm followed by a double bill of Auf Wiedersehen Pet at 9.00pm............pure bliss!!!!:):D

Ah!!! Now you're talking!! Minder, Sweeney, Professionals - THAT'S what you call TV! Thank you ITV4! :) (although BBC pulled out a masterpiece with Life on Mars, but that's another story!) :)

Ah!!! Now you're talking!! Minder, Sweeney, Professionals - THAT'S what you call TV! Thank you ITV4! :) (although BBC pulled out a masterpiece with Life on Mars, but that's another story!) :)

So Life on Mars was set in the 70's - when the 3 series you mentioned were first aired....Is your wardrobe full of flared everything in plaid!:D (by the way - I agree all 4 progs are great)

I may have been unique, but when he sat on the fold up toilet box, I did laugh.

And it was supposed to be suitable for that exact use.

Yes, but it was built incorrectly, the bit sticking up the back should also have formed part of the seat.

So Life on Mars was set in the 70's - when the 3 series you mentioned were first aired....Is your wardrobe full of flared everything in plaid!:D (by the way - I agree all 4 progs are great)
Yes! I'm totally retro, including the Martin Shaw haircut! LOL!!! Nah, not really!
The wierd co-incidence is that in the 70s I DID have the MS haircut and I now have the MS haircut again as he has in Judge John Deed! And no, I'm not actually a fan of his, although I like the program! :D

HR17 "Some dull old bird", SURELY you dont mean V_B_H, she's still in my fantasy box ! :devil:

Sabine is my fantasy bird......... :thumb:

FastestWomen_240809.jpg

Sorry about the BMW in the photo.

Last edited:
It's the only one of 'my' programs the missus will watch. Now, when deadliest catch, Ice road truckers, or H on H comes on she feels the need to go and do something mote fun, like ironing.

I like May and JC, but Hamster is an annoying little prat who since his prang has got even worse.

What about Ax Men? The Garage? both dead good but SWMBO won't watch.

Ray Mears / Bear Grylls too come to think of it.

I'nt Sky brilliant!

My wife's fav channel is Nat Geo Wild......she LOVES Ceasar Milan!

One for James May!!!

First look: Dacia Duster - Autocar.co.uk

He might have to quietly go round the back of the sheds when he sees this! :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom