UK proposals: Cycle Streets With 15mph Limit And No Overtaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some people can't/won't be helped regardless. I saw some silly bint nearly get herself killed in Wimbledon last weekend for jumping a red light. Don't these people have a sense of self-preservation? I ride a bike and I always ride like everyone else is on a mission to kill me..

Cheers,

Gaz

Oh joy! I can see this being introduced in The People's Republic of Oxford to great effect. The place is a transport nightmare already, so let's make it even worse... :wallbash: :wallbash:

I particularly liked this idea from the TSRGD document as something that will "make riding safer"
Allowing zig-zag markings at pedestrian crossings to be offset from the kerb by up to two metre, to allow cycle lanes to continue through the controlled area
So which moron has come up with that idea? I see in my crystal ball lots of squashed ped's tangled in the spokes :doh:

Presumably the next step will be to mandate a man with a red flag to walk in front of all motorised vehicles? Oh, hang on...

I think they should make bicycles out of rubber that way when you knock them off they don't scratch your paint work.:devil:

If I remember correctly, in Holland they had both the pedestrian pavement and the cycle path separate from the road used by motor vehicles, which seems sensible.

If we are forced to have bikes on the same roads as cars then I don't think it unreasonable to:

1. Require cyclists to complete a driving course and test, just like motorists
2. Require cyclists to pay an equivalent VED, although cheaper than cars
3. Require cyclists to have a registration plate so their offences can be tracked just like motorists (red lights etc)
4. Require cyclists to have insurance

I am a cyclist and a car driver. I got 99% on a cycle proficiency test when I was in my early teens and it has made me more aware of dangers on the road, plus how to do proper checks, signals and manoeuvres on the road.

Waste of government money IMO...

There are two fundamental facts the mean that none of these plans will ever work.

The first is that the government actively encourages cycling as means for reducing both congestion and pollution (with the side benefit of healthier population through exercise), and anything that might hinder it - mandatory training, tax, insurance, any form of bureaucracy, registration, paperwork, or fees - is a non-started.

The second is that you can make any laws you like, if they are not enforceable then they will remain purely theoretical, and with bicycles having no identification - no registration marks or records of keepers - the legislation will remain on paper.

Many cyclist ride safely and legally, but many others jump red lights or ride without lights or reflectors at night, and there's nothing we can do about it - they are caught on CCTV but so what? And I have yet to see a foot patrol or marked car give cyclist a chase.

The only practical solution is to make the streets as safe as possible for cyclists, raise awareness among cyclists and drivers alike, and pray. More legislation will have no effect whatsoever.

Many cyclist ride safely and legally, but many others jump red lights or ride without lights or reflectors at night, and there's nothing we can do about it - they are caught on CCTV but so what? And I have yet to see a foot patrol or marked car give cyclist a chase.

My Brother was once chased by a patrol car and got a £20 fine at court for riding through a pedestrian area at 7:30-am one weekday morning.

My Brother was once chased by a patrol car and got a £20 fine at court for riding through a pedestrian area at 7:30-am one weekday morning.

Sorry to hear that, but it is probably just his bad luck more than anything else... here in London this is almost unheard of.

Sorry to hear that, but it is probably just his bad luck more than anything else... here in London this is almost unheard of.

It was 30 years ago, so might have happened in London, then.

Does this 15mph limit and no overtaking suggestion apply to cycles as well as cars or will the bikes be immune?

MR.55AMG said:
Bloody cyclists.... They should have to pay road tax :wallbash:

There is no such thing. But they do pay for the roads.. It's called paye, vat, road fund, capital gains, etc.

Wise up

ItalianTuneUp said:
If I remember correctly, in Holland they had both the pedestrian pavement and the cycle path separate from the road used by motor vehicles, which seems sensible. If we are forced to have bikes on the same roads as cars then I don't think it unreasonable to: ...

You misunderstand the world my friend. Cars joined bikes on the road - the bike is an older invention. Cyclists are road users as are motorists, etc etc blah blah blah.

Not this rubbish again.

I have a licence for my car, when im on my bike (commute to work) im not using my car.

But if you had two cars, you'ld still pay two lots of VED, even if you only used one car at a time....

markjay said:
But if you had two cars, you'ld still pay two lots of VED, even if you only used one car at a time....

I have three cars. All with Road Fund Licence. I leave them all at home very happily when I'm on my bike.

Should pedestrians pay for pavement maintenance? Shoe leather tax?

I have three cars. All with Road Fund Licence. I leave them all at home very happily when I'm on my bike.

Should pedestrians pay for pavement maintenance? Shoe leather tax?

As said in my previous post I don't think any form of registration/taxation for cyclists will work.

I was merely commenting on the argument that says that you are already paying VED if you own a car - I don't think that this is a reason in itself for not paying VED on bicycles (though there are other reasons why there will be no VED on bikes).

And as others said, pedestrians do pay for the upkeep of the roads... we all do.

Yes we all have to pay for the upkeep of roads BUT the motorist has to pay a s++t load more, So if some other form of transport is using the roads why should they not have to pay?

Yes we all have to pay for the upkeep of roads BUT the motorist has to pay a s++t load more, So if some other form of transport is using the roads why should they not have to pay?

Going to start charging kids who cycle to school then?

Last edited:
That's not really answered my question has it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom