Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnybravo

Car
w202 c200, fully loaded :)
Hey guys,

my car is a C200 petrol manual with 136,000 miles on the clock. i acquired the car with 121,000 miles and is my third w202. its not given me many problems at all in nearly a year except this one which i will try to explain in as much detail as i can.

1. serviced in feb 2012, oil, air, fuel and pollen filters replaced, engine oil replaced, liquids topped up but NOT the spark plugs.

2. april 2012, after driving on the motorway at 70mph, slowed down to a traffic queue at a junction and the car shook like a washing machine and the engine choked and had very little power although the car was just about 'drivable', kind of like it was running on a couple of cylinders only. i parked up, switched the engine off, re-started and it was fine. it didn't do this again and seemed fine.

3. may 2012, i had the fault codes read from an indy and have attached these as a jpeg also. it wasn't a STAR diagnostic machine but he wasn't really helpful in regards to explaining what i would need to do to sort my car.

june 2012, after driving in local traffic, the same thing happened. i switched the car off but this time the limited power was still there, couldn't get over 20mph, revs wouldnt go further than 2k with full foot down. engine sounded rough and visibally shook more. this problem stayed every time i re-started and accelerated.

i left it over night and returned the next morning, drove the car round the block (just about whilst looking like an idiot) and the same problem. therefore, i immediately changed all four spark plugs to brand new ones. (ive attached a photo of the old ones). i did notice some oil on top of the coil pack nearest the bulk head and also in the cavity whn you remove the top cover of the engine.

changing the spark plugs made a huge difference, the engine was quieter, revved smoother and the car was driveable again. i even then put some red-ex injector and fuel line cleaner in the tank to make sure. i thought i had cured the problem but there still seems to be a lack of power, a restriction somewhere because the car wont accelerate as fast as it should. also, on the motorway, it wont accelerate further than about 65mph, full foot down, theres no power there :(

i haven't had any of the above fault codes deleted just yet, but i'm sure there is another parts change to do immediately, i'm thinking:

HT LEADS
COIL PACKS
MAF

everything is still original on the car and i want to keep it that way mechanically but also maybe use OEM parts that are BETTER than the original if there is such a thing. i'm leaning towards buying a bosch replacement MAF unit. do you think ht leads should be first?

i'm wanting to get my w2020 to a pristine example, not too heavily modified but decent. i hope ive explained the problem thoroughly, because my car has performed exceptionally before this, what should be my next port of call? any experts who can encrypt the fault codes and explain which parts i need?
thanks

Attachments

• mayfaultcodes.jpg
    mayfaultcodes.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 57
  • oldsparks.jpg
    oldsparks.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 57
I would be careful replacing parts and spending a lot of money just yet. I have a w202 C240 with exactly the same problem and I wasted over £600.00 on parts after putting it on a Star and yet it has made very little difference. No faults are now showing when put on a diagnostic test and not Merc "expert" has been able to say what the problem is.

My advice is to keep your money in your pocket until you can diagnose the problem 110%.
I was told MAF, 02 sensors, Coils pack, HT leads, Plugs and I replaced the lot with brand new parts.

Keith

ive just had that with mine and it turned out to be the coil pack on mine

Maf

ok, replaced the MAF today and wow! the car is more alive, rev-happy, smooth and faster than it has EVER been, what a difference. with the plugs and MAF now changed, do you think i should change HT leads also? i know 'if it aint broke, don't fix it' applies, but i just cant help feeling theyll make a difference since these leads are stock and 13 years old!

RE: coil pack, if my MAF replacement didnt sort it, i would have replaced both coil packs too.

Bosch MAF I hope,otherwise you will be back in it in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom