• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another newbie - C63 AMG Coupe

M156 wants to rev hard but if it sits around & not driven hard, use Liqui Moly Hydraulic lifter additive to help prevent sticky lifters. All 32 should operate smoothly and spin freely. It's definitely not snake oil product 🙂

20230523_152448.jpg20230523_152454.jpg

Fair enough! I'm going to order a set of replica wheels from CM Wheels next week once I'm back from work, the plan is to use those while I have the car and keep the OEM ones in decent nick now they're sorted, and put them back on when it comes time to sell. Will see if the brand new wheels make any difference and take it from there if the noise persists.

Imminent plans for the car now - do an oil change (it's got 5w-30 just now, got some 10w-40 and some Liquid Moly Ceratec to go in), got a Meguiar's headlight polishing kit to try and get rid of the slight cloudy yellow look to the lamps, then I'm getting the car professionally detailed and ceramic coated. The paint is dull but almost totally blemish-free so I'd like to try and keep it that way...
Can I ask why? Use the car with the OEM wheels and if need have the refurbished before you sell. You'll find you either won't need a refurb, or if you do it'll be 1 and no more that £120. Much cheaper then a new set of replica or if you have to have a new set why not get something that's different to put your stamp on the car?

Another new owner here, in Aberdeen, Scotland. I picked this up last week to replace my recently departed (but much loved) Jaguar XKR Coupe.

View attachment 139326

The colour is Diamond Silver which I gather is fairly rare on these? I'd been watching these for a few months and I'm pretty certain this is the only one I've seen in this shade. I wanted a silver one anyway as silver shows off the lines on a car very well and this one appealed on rarity factor as well. It also has the factory LSD which I wanted. It was up for sale at an independent dealer near Southampton on the south coast of England so was a good 12 hour drive home!

There are a couple of minor issues to get sorted, the steering wheel is slightly off to the right when travelling dead ahead, probably just needs wheel alignment. There's a rumbling from the rear at motorway speeds which sounds like a worn wheel bearing to me. The selling dealer is organising a local garage to put those right. The sunroof is slow and erratic when sliding horizontally, some Googling suggests that the tracks likely need cleaned and lubricated so I have a small tin of grease on the way from eBay for that.

Loving the car so far though, looking forward to getting to know it better!
Car looks amazing.

Can I ask why? Use the car with the OEM wheels and if need have the refurbished before you sell. You'll find you either won't need a refurb, or if you do it'll be 1 and no more that £120. Much cheaper then a new set of replica or if you have to have a new set why not get something that's different to put your stamp on the car?

The replica wheels are apparently less prone to cracking. One of my current wheels has already been welded four times and the repairs don't exactly look like top quality jobs. Even if I get half the money back for the replicas when it's time to sell up I'll be happy with that.

Car looks amazing.

Thanks!

I went from a Jag XF to the Merc, I thought all 4 wheel bearings and the diff were knackered on the test drive.
The Jags are too well insulated and silent to drive, you’ll get used to it.
I was always impressed how quiet the Jag was.

My wife had an XF until about two weeks ago, hers was a 14-plate estate, 3.0 V6 TDI, really lovely car. We sold it as we will have a ULEZ coming to Aberdeen next year, took delivery of a Polestar 2 EV the week before last.

Funny you should post that today, I'm away with work (yet again) this week, in (yet another) hire car. I've had quite a few Mercs, mostly A-class, B-class and CLAs. I was reminded today about something odd I've noticed in all of them - I can hear the fuel sloshing about in the tank behind me at low speeds!

I'd still rather have any of those then any of the Audis or BMWs I've had though.

Or just fit a louder exhaust ;) At least I don't hear the fuel in the tank in my C63. Maybe because it just burns it all so fast...

My wife had a W164 M Class for a few years, that was very quiet inside.

My wife had a W164 M Class for a few years, that was very quiet inside.
There’s a little more sound deadening and the exhaust is acoustically tuned so that it sounds both quieter and softer in the W164 ML 63 than the W204 C 63, which has a much harder edge to the note.

The E 63 and SL 63 are somewhere in between, and the S 63 and CL 63 are very slightly softer than the ML. They all have fundamentally the same engine, and sound similar but different (especially inside).

Hers wasn't the AMG M Class, "just" a ML320CDI. You could barely hear the engine at all until it got close to the redline. Lovely car, if somewhat wallowy and boat-like. The gearbox was horrendous though, even when using kickdown or the paddle shifters sometimes it would change quickly but sometimes it could be a full second or so before anything happened.

That nearly put me off quick Mercs for life. I had a 4.2 Jag XKR at the time with the 6-speed ZF auto, fantastic gearbox despite being a torque-converter auto. Glad I tried the facelift W204 AMG now.

Well my last couple of cars had 20" wheels so yeah they are comparitively tiny :D

Getting these fitted on Tuesday.

Car looks awesome definitely a colour of my choice, I hope now everything has been sorted and did the trader play ball and reimburse on everything?

Thanks! Essentially yes, everything I reported to the dealer after I got the car was addressed at their expense. I bought the replica wheels myself to use while I have the car to keep the originals in the best condition they can be now - they have several welds (one wheel has four apparently!) and had a number of buckles straightened now so they'll be past their best. Single OEM wheels in good condition with no welds seem to go for not much less than a full set of replicas...

Thanks! Essentially yes, everything I reported to the dealer after I got the car was addressed at their expense. I bought the replica wheels myself to use while I have the car to keep the originals in the best condition they can be now - they have several welds (one wheel has four apparently!) and had a number of buckles straightened now so they'll be past their best. Single OEM wheels in good condition with no welds seem to go for not much less than a full set of replicas...

That’s good to hear, mind sharing the details of the dealer so others can buy cars from them with confidence. I will too be after a w204 in the near future :)

Going back to the very nice AMG fuel filler cap, are these available/fitting the 205? A proper car needs a proper fuel cap. So disappointed in the latest Ferraris which have no cap at all, just the flap locking shut. You need that unscrewing metal feeling. Ferrari did it so well and I think AMGs should do it also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom