• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Another newbie - C63 AMG Coupe

The car was back at the garage this week, finally got the nearside cam cover replaced so the oil leak is gone. Just the wheels to get sorted out now...

Delivery from Germany arrived today :)

bits.jpg

Fresh set of center caps, because the ones on the car appear to have been broken and then badly glued into place :eek: AMG Affalterbach bonnet badge because having another three-point star logo right above the big one on the grille looks odd to me. Alloy fuel filler cap because I'm a tart :cool:

Was tempted to order the 507 edition gear shift knob and gaiter, which has the Affalterbach logo on top, glad I didn't now as I got whacked with customs and VAT charges for the above before they'd deliver them to me. Might have to see if I can get the gear knob in-country...

Looks nice. No UK supplier that can get close enough on price?

That bonnet Affalterbach emblem is awesome along with the fuel cap. I still keeping looking at mine, feel prevlidged. It's very special emblem to have 🙂

Chichester Mercedes had no such issues selling one for my mates 212 E63.....a sale is a sale.

Good to know. I guess it might depend if they have them in stock - on the thread discussing the bonnet badges someone said they'd had their local dealer order one, the order was refused by MB UK because the customer's car wasn't fitted with that specific badge from factory. For me, in Aberdeen, I would also need the dealer in question to be able to post it to me :)

Good to know. I guess it might depend if they have them in stock - on the thread discussing the bonnet badges someone said they'd had their local dealer order one, the order was refused by MB UK because the customer's car wasn't fitted with that specific badge from factory. For me, in Aberdeen, I would also need the dealer in question to be able to post it to me :)
Thats what's happening. Its not the dealer who want to sell, its being block from Germany. I was lucky though, just about 🙂

Got the car back from the wheel place today. Vibration is definitely much reduced at high speeds but I think I can still hear a faint noise above about 70. The guy at the wheel place did say they often can't get buckled wheels totally perfect so will reserve judgement until I get a set of replicas bought and fitted. The garage that checked the car at first seemed confident there is nothing wrong with wheel bearings, prop/drive shafts or the differential.

Actually on that note, the car has the factory LSD - I've never had a proper, mechanical LSD in a car before, they're not noisy by nature are they?

Amusing story - there was a mix-up at the wheel place, the guy who did the straightening assumed the wheels were also to be stripped and re-powdercoated. The owner of the business came back to find he had the wheels in the acid dip so they had no choice but to re-powdercoat them so I got a free refurb today :) Didn't really need it as they weren't kerbed or anything but hey ho :)

I would have thought any wheel vibration above 70 would show itself through steering wheel/column judder? If that isn’t happening and the noise appears with higher speed, I would suspect the early signs of a wheel bearing on the way out. I’m having this issue with my runabout just now.

Good score on the free refurb, can I ask where this was? My runabout is booked to go into TWS next week, they always do a stunning job for me. I wasn’t aware there was another option around town.

It did show through the steering and the chassis at high speeds, that and a faint rumble that got louder as I accelerated past about 75. The vibration is pretty much gone now so the wheel straightening has helped. My first thought was bearing on the wonk too but the garage seemed certain there was no other sign of that.

I used Marx Vehicle Paint and Alloy Center in Altens. We had them fix some buckled wheels on my wifes recently-departed Jaguar XF after we got it, they did a great job and also refurbished the wheels. They're the only place that have managed to get black wheels actually black - everywhere else I've used they've ended up very dark blue or dark brown which becomes visible in strong sunlight. The finish on her wheels from Marx was as black as the night.

Fair enough! I'm going to order a set of replica wheels from CM Wheels next week once I'm back from work, the plan is to use those while I have the car and keep the OEM ones in decent nick now they're sorted, and put them back on when it comes time to sell. Will see if the brand new wheels make any difference and take it from there if the noise persists.

Imminent plans for the car now - do an oil change (it's got 5w-30 just now, got some 10w-40 and some Liquid Moly Ceratec to go in), got a Meguiar's headlight polishing kit to try and get rid of the slight cloudy yellow look to the lamps, then I'm getting the car professionally detailed and ceramic coated. The paint is dull but almost totally blemish-free so I'd like to try and keep it that way...

Oops, yes you're right - that is what I bought, not 10W-40!

No liquid moly MB advise no additives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom