• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

It's easy to happen, it's how Mercedes deal with the problem that will mark them out as good or bad. At the end of the day they can't magic injectors or replacement cars from thin air.
I couldn't agree more. What's interesting is the speed with which one of the posters in this thread managed to get agreement to a full refund against another car. That would seem to suggest that a speedy resolution to the injector supply problem isn't expected :(

Well thats 5 weeks today mine has been in the garage, and still no end in sight, i'm told that enterprise are billing MB £65 + VAT per day for car hire, i reckon between that and recovery etc, prob bout £3k so far, and the hire has been extended till 23rd Dec !!!!!

I would imagine MB will be billing Dephi for the cost.

What's interesting is the speed with which one of the posters in this thread managed to get agreement to a full refund against another car. That would seem to suggest that a speedy resolution to the injector supply problem isn't expected :(

or maybe it's just excellent customer service from an MB dealer ...

or maybe it's just excellent customer service from an MB dealer ...
You may be right, however in my experience (and I have successfully rejected a car before) unless there's a very good reason why the vehicle should be taken back then any dealer will do their utmost to avoid doing so. Also, there is no way on earth the dealer will go out on a limb taking a vehicle back without approval from the manufacturer/importer. Couple this with an apparent block on ordering a car with one of the affected engines and it doesn't look like a quick solution is in the offing.

Should be getting delivery of E 250 CDI next week.

My first post.

This is the first time I have bought from MB and it's a E 250 CDI. I ordered the car back in September and was initially given an ETA by my dealer of early Oct that was then later changed to early Nov. As November approached I was then informed by the dealer about the shortage of the injectors and the revised delivery date was early Dec. I have been told today that the car is expected to be delivered to the dealer end of this week. Of course I am still a little concerned about the injector issue, but have been "assured" that the engine has the new injectors fitted, that was the reason for the delay.

I guess time will tell if they have solved the problem.......fingers crossed !!

My first injector failed with a tremendous BANG immediately when I turned the key. The second failed the day after I collected the car from having the first injector replaced, so I was extremely angry and more so when the manager of the dealership failed to return my call that day (it was a Sunday and I know nothing could have been done but out of courtesy he should have called).

I had always maintained my discomfort after the first injector went with a bang as I was worried of the possible long term damage inside the bores but the dealer kept trying to reassure me everything was fine (just after the bang the exhaust system was rattling/vibrating as if it was coming away from the car it was that bad).
So a couple of days after the second failure I suggested 2 options, the first to replace all remaining injectors and guarantee it wouldnt fail again or take my car back. Replacing the injectors was not an option as Mercedes would not supply the dealer with injectors even if they were paying for them. The manager loosely dropped in conversation before that he could sell my E250 sport for the price I paid and after he said an E350 was coming in I snapped his hand off and paid the extra.
I am very happy now and totally sympathise with others who have the problem. Apparently at the time my dealer said there were 40 known cases at another dealer and after reading lots of problems I knew I had to change the car/engine.

Just need to add that I didnt go through the actual motions of rejecting the car and the dealer took this back on without informing Mercedes. I had owned the car for 6 weeks in total.

Last edited:
Just need to add that I didnt go through the actual motions of rejecting the car and the dealer took this back on without informing Mercedes. I had owned the car for 6 weeks in total.
Thanks for the clarification. Based upon this, may the situation regarding availability of revised injectors isn't as bad as I suspected maybe the case.

BTW, I hope you're enjoying the 350 :thumb:

Oh the 350 is just amazing, drove up to Scotland (Glasgow) in it the last weekend and a 5 hr trip (with breaks) seemed like a 60 minute trip.

Also to confirm that my 250 was an "ex demonstrator" so even though I had only owned it for 6 weeks, the car was in fact a few months old so will now have 2 previous owners on the log book! Merc dealer and me.

Also to confirm that my 250 was an "ex demonstrator" so even though I had only owned it for 6 weeks, the car was in fact a few months old so will now have 2 previous owners on the log book! Merc dealer and me.

If it was sold under the approved used scheme then you can change the car anyway, I think within 4 weeks. OK, you were a bit over this, but it's much less of a stretch than rejecting a new car.

this makes quite a difference, but still, a good effort from the MB dealer

Apparently at the time my dealer said there were 40 known cases at another dealer and after reading lots of problems I knew I had to change the car/engine.

40 at one dealer - wow, this is going to mess up MB's JD Power ratings.

GLK Owner from Germany

Interesting thread - and i might be able to shed some light on the dealers quotes of "everything is now sorted, dont worry"!!

My GLK 220 first failed on about 2 weeks ago, luckily I was stationary at traffic lights, and was able to chudder round the corner and officially break down in a bus stop!! 2 hours later, the recovery truck arrived, with a chuckling recovery man who proceeded to inform me that I was the 7th stranded merc driver of the day....incidentally all had the deisel 220 engined!!

The car was repaired 2 days later, however, as the service engineer was driving to my home, it broke down again!! literally hours after being repaired. I received a call saying that I am likely to be without the GLK for upto 6 weeks. (Unluckily for me, i've been blessed with a replacement car that it an A class!!! - a bit of a difference)

Anyway, some collegues have been calling the MB service depo for me (I cant speak german) and they have been informed (today - 1/12/09) that there is still no official solution (other than replacing the injectors like for like). I am now just attempting to negotiate a more ideal long term replacement car (hopefully the 350 GLK!, but anything is an improvemtn on the A class)

Based on what i've read, discussion my collegue has had with MB, we could in it for the long haul - especially considering the number of german taxis that are likely to receive priority repairs (due to loss of earnings claims I expect!!).

I'll keep the forum posted on my progress and any info from Deutscheland!

another quick update.....I received a "Free 1st Service" voucher for the 250 the other day due to all the troubles (I believe theyre doing this for everyone) but I called MB and stated I had bought a new 350 and they tried telling me that the voucher went with the vehicle. Strange I said, as the voucher was for MY inconvenience not the CARS!? I already have my first service thrown in on the 350 from the dealer so I asked MB if they could do anything else. 1 Day later and they called to say they are sending £250 worth of vouchers :) ok it might be "boutique" vouchers but theyre free! :)

tell them where they can stick the a class !!!!, i've got an ML280

...but have been "assured" that the engine has the new injectors fitted, that was the reason for the delay.

Get that in writing. In my experience, an MB dealer will hide behind the MB brand image and tell you any old fluff to get you off the premises.

Get that in writing. In my experience, an MB dealer will hide behind the MB brand image and tell you any old fluff to get you off the premises.

Especially in the mad rush to take your new car to revenue 4 weeks before the end of the year (by you accepting it and driving away).....

another quick update.....I received a "Free 1st Service" voucher for the 250 the other day due to all the troubles (I believe theyre doing this for everyone) but I called MB and stated I had bought a new 350 and they tried telling me that the voucher went with the vehicle. Strange I said, as the voucher was for MY inconvenience not the CARS!? I already have my first service thrown in on the 350 from the dealer so I asked MB if they could do anything else. 1 Day later and they called to say they are sending £250 worth of vouchers :) ok it might be "boutique" vouchers but theyre free! :)

I don't understand what you mean, sorry. My understanding is that the 350 is unaffected with the dodgy injectors, therefore why are they sending vouchers? I ask this as I am about to take delivery of a e350 coupe tomorrow !

Surely they wouldn't be stupid enough to open the can of worms should the 'new injectors' go faulty?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom