Bought car from trader and engine has gone in less than 150 miles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m2287, Dec 12, 2012.

1. m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    OK so Last Monday (03/12/12) I px'd my c200kompressor with £130 cash for an auto bmw 320d compact (was up for sale for £2500).

I did this with someone who had taken the car in trade and took my car in as trade. He operates from his home, and gave me a hand written invoice.

I have done less than 150miles in it and I have had a swirl flap from the intake fall into cylinder 1. Cost of new engine + fitting is around £1300. Noone wants to even contemplate fixing my engine for whatever reason.

Trader refuses any responsibility, and says it was sold as seen etc.

Do I have a leg to stand on legally, what should I do next?

2. bolide

bolide MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW E39 525 Diesel Touring
    Swirl flap failure is wear & tear

Nick Froome

1 person likes this.
  3. Berkshire Rich

Berkshire Rich Active Member

Car:
    C250 cgi coupe
    No expert on this failure - see above - but you may just have a case depending on how long ago you bought it, and what age / mileage it is. Sale of Goods Act gives you some protection. Does not apply to private vendors but trader has to sell goods of reasonable quality. Question is whether what has happened is "reasonable"

4. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    All hinges on whether he can be classed as a motor trader or not...

If he is a trader (advertised the car as trade and you have proof) then the law says its his responsibility - wear and tear or not.

5 people like this.
  5. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    Bone fide traders have a responsibility beyond 150 miles and 9 days is my understanding.

Private sellers do not.

Mic

6. OP
    OP
    m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    He was not named as the last driver on the vehicle, and he said that he has 14 other cars at the moment. He seemed like he just did it as a hobby on the side, not officially if you get me?

7. davidsw

davidsw Active Member

Car:
    Jaguar XKR,Porsche Boxster S
    I wonder if the Inland Revenue have him down as a trader ?

8. stephen coy

stephen coy Active Member

Car:
    clk 230
    Maybe what is written on the invoice will have a bearing. i.e. if there is no reference on it of any commercial enterprise-say it merely is handwritten in a form that a private seller would give, then that might make a case against the seller difficult.

9. covlad

covlad Member

Car:
    300e
    yes you do have aleg to stand on did the invoice say sold as seen if not then get intouch with trading standards for advice if you had finance write 1 letter stating your canceling the agreement ie give them 27days notice give the reason the engine is fxxxd cancel the direct debit print 3 copys 1 copy you keep 1 send 1 to the underighter and 1 to the place your brought the car from then call up the underwriter stating the problem and your sending them notice this does work did this a few years back i got cam belt changed and a full service at no cost ?????

had a problem on 1 of my

10. Rory

Rory MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    ...and then you have to weigh up how hard it's going to be to get him to actually pay.

11. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    I think HMRC would regard 14 cars as trading. I think a loose rule of thumb is anything more than 6 cars/year bought and sold is likely to be deemed to be trading unless the ''trader'' can convince HMRC otherwise.
    This is hearsay from by motor trading mates but it seems a reasonable litmus test to me.

Mic

12. MrVix

MrVix Active Member

Car:
    2015 E350, 2014 Elise S Club Racer & VWUP
    I think you are on a sticky wicket with this one. In my humble opinion your best bet is to threaten to report him to HMRC, it might get him to at least make some sort of contribution. The tax man would definitely see 14 cars as trade imho.
    Even doing the above I think you may struggle and will have to put it down to experience or alternatively a big stick;)

13. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    Matter for the courts if it gets that far... 99% of the time they will cough up if you start sending legal letters.

What the OP needs to do is print off the original advert, then print off all adverts for his other cars.

14 cars for sale is definately a trader.

Sold as seen on the receipt is simply a waste of ink.

The trader is responsible for this failure, it has happened in a matter of days and a few miles... if it had happened in 6 months, the law wouldnt be so clear...

Dont be afraid to use the small claims system, its a doddle and involves very little effort.

As with any dispute, paperwork & polite written communication is what you need to get this matter sorted.

Also remember DO NOT get any work done immediately. You send him the quote and give him the option of full refund, repair himself at his garage, or payment of the job at your garage.
    He may wish to inspect the car himself and you must give him opportunity to inspect if he wishes.

9 people like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    I have a hand written invoice which says:

BMW 320td blue LB02AEG
    Part Exchange Taken
    Mercedes Benz c200k Y314RLK + £130 cash

Buyers name and adress (with my details)
    Signed by me

Sellers name and signiature (no address)

On 3rd december 2012
    at 1700-1720

15. OP
    OP
    m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    So the trader is now refusing to give his address, anyone know how i can get it from the dvla?

16. Harrythedog

Harrythedog MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    Contact the local tax office, they'll have it!

1 person likes this.
  17. OP
    OP
    m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    He is definately a trader, go on gumtree and search for cars in Harlow, all the ones being sold by Robert are his!

18. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    Hand written or not... I doubt any further proof is needed to the fact as he is a trader? Private sellers do not raise invoices. At best a private seller may provide a written note of some description, but it will not be called 'invoice'.

And to my knowledge 'Sold as seen' only applies to trade-to-trade sales, not not for private buyers. I am assuming you bought the car privately and you are the new registered keeper?

But why do we assume that there's an HMRC issue here? If he is a trader, and raises invoices, he may well be paying his taxes as he should?

19. OP
    OP
    m2287

m2287 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Bentley Continental GT
    So does anyone know hoe I can get this guys address, DVLA said I need to write to them but cant guarantee anything, and tax office was a no go also!

20. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    If all else fails get someone to ring up saying his won some vouchers and where would he like them to be sent?