Do these wheels/tyres fit?? Read this first! Offset/fitment answers within..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I've my 68 plate C63S has 265/35 R19 tyres on the back and thanks to a screw puncture I'm thinking about changing the back tyres sooner than I'd like!

Would going to 275/35 R19 give me additional grip (significantly more) and would the change in tyre size be enough for me to have to inform my insurance company...?

^ I'd take a look in your user handbook and see what size tyres Mercedes suggest you can use.
Going outside those parameters may open a loophole for insurance companies to exploit in any claim.

Would going to 275/35 R19 give me additional grip (significantly more)
I'd doubt it, you could probably find another brand of tyre that would give more grip and stick with the same size

Hi All,

For my W204 I had both summer and winter set-ups. Having changed to the C43, I don’t yet have the winter set-up. I intend to drop from the current 19’s to 18’s and have been offered my favourite looking wheel, however its from the C63 so I don’t know if it will fit ... I believe C63 have a more aggressive offset? Or is this just sets offered on the Coupe? would the saloon / estate model fit my C43?

The wheels I’m looking at are 18x8.5 ET38 and 18x9.5 ET56 from a C63 estate ... really going you guys can confirm they will fit ...

Thanks in advance, Paul

Without knowing what winter tyres you would fit, its difficult to say with certainty if the C63 alloys would fit with clearance on both suspension strut and wheel arch.
The problem is, stock C63 wheels are also wider than stock C43 alloys as well as different offsets.

Put your existing set up into this site and your planned configuration and you'll be given the measurements the new alloys will be.
https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...2=40&wheel_size=18&wheel_width=8-5&offset2=38

FYI, the C43 offsets etc are below along with the recommended tyres that fit C63 alloys.
18" AMG 5 Spoke wheels in 7X23 High Sheen with Gloss Black - Alloy Wheels Direct (6125349)

18" AMG 5 Twin Spoke wheels in 7X21 High Sheen with Titanium/Himalaya Grey - Alloy Wheels Direct (6342945)

AMGeed,

Many thanks for the very useful link! ... using the table does suggest that these will fit ... they should sit within the bodywork, moving out just under 10mm so maybe look more flush ... and being wider both front and rear they will sit closer to the suspension, but again, should clear.

The seller is a wheel / tyre shop so I have chance to test fit as well so fingers crossed ...

Had the car up on the ramp and swapped to the C63 combo ... looked awesome, rears close internally and very flush externally but OEM in appearance. The fronts were also flush but this is where we hit a problem .. the C63 rims being wider, and with most of the depth internal, it was tight to the suspension upright. So a fail for the C63 rims onto the C43.

They may have worked if we explored the use of spacers but not a route I wanted to pursue.

So plan B is to source tyres for current wheels and look for alternative 19’s to refit the summer too.

QUESTION: how many posts do I need to advertise my 204 18’s with winters in the classifieds please?

Last edited:
^ Shame, but at least you found out before buying.
Make sure you get the ET as close as possible to your existing set up when you go for new alloys.

You need 30+ posts to use the classifieds and nobody can reply directly on the thread. Also 30+ posts should give you private messaging to conduct a sale provided the interested party has 30+ posts too;)

Thanks AMGeed,

Specifically the ref to ET ... I hadn’t realised the unique requirement for the front of the C43 ... so I changed my search and focussed on ET33 and after a few days I found and now own these ex-C43 18” ...should have tyres on a few days ..

4350039C-F499-4829-B424-08AEDF775587.jpeg

6D44AF1C-D81A-4B43-9B5A-E37C4DA856A3.jpeg

No white stuff to try them out on as yet (although forecast is its on its way), but very stable grip, braking and acceleration in wet and dry ... wrapped them in Yokohama’s ....

Wheels were washed, clayed and sealed with Poor Boys so should help with keeping them clean through the winter months ...

Next job, install the 4 x splash guards delivery by Mr Postie this morning ...

The link below is to a pdf chart of all the wheel and tyre combinations as fitted by Mercedes, AMG, Brabus and Carlsson.

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mercedes_wheel_fitments.pdf

If you are wondering if a particular tyre size is suitable, or if a certain rim size/offset will fit, then it is a single place to check. If one of the tuning companies hasn't attempted it, then it's an indication that it might not be such a good idea!

It is periodically updated and if you have and documentation for new vehicles or perhaps a scan from the tyre page of the manual from older models (113/107/109/124/201), I will update it!

Lastly, please make this a sticky post!
Great info

Hi all,

I've been pointed towards this thread by another member and I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently purchased a 2010 E250 CDi estate which came fitted with 17 inch wheels. I wanted to upgrade the wheels to 18's as it was the only thing about the car which I didnt like, so when I came across some genuine AMG 18's, I jumped at the chance. The wheels/rims were advertised as being off a W212, which is what I needed. I didn't fit them straight away so they were sitting at home for about a month. This week I decided that I'd start looking at tyres for them and after searching for correct tyre sizes, it appears that I have the wrong alloys - well at least two.
The rim sizes are: 8J x18 & 8.5J x18 - two of each.

What I'd like to know is can I put the 8J's on the front and 8.5J's on the rear of the car?? Would there be any detrimental effects of doing this?
Also, if I can fit them, what tyre sizes would I need?

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

You have a set of staggered rims which are perfectly fine for your W212. I would question whether they are for a 212 though as you can see in the link below, all 18" AMG wheels are 8.5 and 9j wide. Please check the part # on the inside of the rim which should start with A212*********. Click on any wheel in the link below and see if your wheels are there and the part# matches.

The important thing is the offset or ET. It should be front ET48 and rear ET54. If they are different you may have a problem. Post back if they are different ET's so someone can advise.

If the wheels you have do fit, the recommended tyre sizes are 235x40 x18 front and 255x35x18 rears. The wider 8.5j rim is always fitted to the rears.

Thanks for the reply. The 8J wheels are ET45 and the 8.5J are ET49. Would these fit front and back?

Should have no problem with those . Very little difference in the numbers. Just a few mm .
The fronts will be 3mm further away from the hub and the rears 5mm

What tyre sizes would I need?

Also, not questioning your wisdom but my local Kwik fit told me that I'd need 8.5J on the front and 9J on the rear as I'd get 'issues' if I fitted the 8 on the front and 8.5's on the rear. What 'issues' I'd be getting he didn't elaborate on. He also said that if u was insistent on using the wheels, I'd be better off with 245/40/18 all round. Was he talking nonsense??

Hi again,

I put the 8J's up for sale and managed to sell them pretty quickly. I've now bought a set of 9J ET54 for the rear. Can I use the 8J ET49 in tandem with the 9J's or would I need specifically need 8.5J ET48 for the front ?

Get 8.5j for the front alloys and put 245x40x08 front tyres and 265x35x18 rear to keep the rolling radius correct.

BTW, as you have an estate E class, its an S212, not a W212 which is the saloon:)

Get 8.5j for the front alloys and put 245x40x08 front tyres and 265x35x18 rear to keep the rolling radius correct.

BTW, as you have an estate E class, its an S212, not a W212 which is the saloon:)
I don't know if you saw this but post 1 in this thread gives you a link with the answer to all your questions.

I don't know if you saw this but post 1 in this thread gives you a link with the answer to all your questions.

It's been a long time since I saw the first post in this thread Ciaran;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom