Exhaust tips.. Metal polish ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have used Autosol and Meguiars, both do the job well

Meguiars are a bit expensive but buy when on offer and it's not too bad

Meguiars Nxt Generation All Metal P...

That looks like the one on our C Class i.e. stainless steel rather than chrome?

Just had a quick 30 mins on the passenger side tips and they have come up a treat, there was a bit of pitting so I didn't want to go too far but will keep doing them every week. I used some fine wire wool, some cheap turtle wax polish to soften up the wire wool and then finished them off with Autosol..:thumb:
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/skylinelee/media/image_22.jpeg.html]
image_23.jpeg
[/URL]

That looks like the one on our C Class i.e. stainless steel rather than chrome?

Think they maybe stainless as opposed to chrome:wallbash:
That might answer why I've rubbed till I had wrist cramp and no matter what I couldn't get a good shine :D
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

Brushed stainless :crazy:

I used a decorators fine grit sponge to clean up the inadars, also with a bit of T Cut applied to the sponge and it soon cleans up the insides

Here is a better pic of how they have come up...!

They are looking like a shiny pin now, once you've got rid of the crusty muck all it takes is a quick rub with a chrome paste about every 4 to 6 weeks and it'll keep them looking like new :thumb:

If mine are stainless then a fine wire wool and polishing paste to make mine look like new. (Tip always rub in the same direction as the brush goes on the body of the steel);)
Will have a look under the car at the underneath of the tips but pretty certain they are brushed stainless and not chrome:confused:
Surpose it makes them a bit more simple to clean:bannana:
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

I do mine the lazy way! Soak some strong kitchen roll in Wonder Wheels, or similar, then wrap the wet tissue around the parts you want to clean. Leave overnight. Remove.....and voila, with very little effort, all the crud wipes off, leaving gleaming bits on display! :D

Pete
Pete,
I'd forgotten about Wonder Wheels but I've just tried the B&Q equivalent which is chemically identical and a fraction of the price, and it does give the carbon a serious headache. Five minutes after brushing it on I was able to see stubborn stuff that the oven cleaner didn't shift begin to 'melt' and it is the way to go. Next time you are in B&Q or The Depot, look for Brick & Patio Cleaner, exactly the same as Wonders Wheels but at a much more acceptable price.
I did take the precaution of misting the surrounding paint with water in case I got the cleaner on it by mistake.

I'm going to get some of that today and try it... Doing the drivers side today.
Will let you know how I get on

Lee

Autosol and a fine wire wool will bring them up a treat.

Exactly what I was going to say, bit of wire wool and a metal polish either Autosol or equivalent from Autoglym and it'll come up nice and shiny. :thumb:

Pete,
I'd forgotten about Wonder Wheels but I've just tried the B&Q equivalent which is chemically identical and a fraction of the price, and it does give the carbon a serious headache. Five minutes after brushing it on I was able to see stubborn stuff that the oven cleaner didn't shift begin to 'melt' and it is the way to go. Next time you are in B&Q or The Depot, look for Brick & Patio Cleaner, exactly the same as Wonders Wheels but at a much more acceptable price.
I did take the precaution of misting the surrounding paint with water in case I got the cleaner on it by mistake.

Hi Derek.

Handy tip that, thanks! Is it stronger than Wonder Wheels et al? I ask because I'm sure I've read/heard somewhere that you do have to be a bit careful with brick cleaner, presumably because of its strength, as its what can make brake calipers look awful if you've been using it long-term as a wheel cleaner. Not sure where I gleaned that info from, but it rings a bell! Can't see it hurting stainless or chrome though.

Pete

Well I went to buy the B&Q brick and patio cleaner and they said they don't do it anymore...? So it was back to scrubbing with wire wool and car polish, Autosol, Brasso.... But I got them something like.....
Thanks for all the advice
Lee

Looking good Lee. Well worth the hard work.

Ant.

Looking good Lee. Well worth the hard work.

Ant.

Cheers guys I'm pretty chuffed with how they have come out,
I know what Ben must feel like now with all his constant rubbing and polishing of his tip.... Cramp...! It's all in the wrist...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom