Have you had your badge nicked?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jwarren

Car
C350e
Morning all, I am writing with anger and frustration at the mindless twonks whom thought it would be great to stand on my bonnet and pull the star off my C200, but not content with causing damage to that, they then proceeded to key the bonnet and rear panel. Mad is an understatement. Car now with the insurer this morning to deal with, now a loss of claims bonus, and the damage was done under a streetlight on a busy road, and in early evening!

My wife, with all her support just said "surprised it hasnt gone before" - so, has this happened to you, or are we on the verge of another beastie boy pandemic of car trophies?

I had the star ripped off my W124 several years and two cars ago. Typically the Police were barely interested. No damage to anything other than the looks. The replacement was a very reasonable £14 at the time.

I remember driving at motorway speeds with no star on top of the grille meant that there was a constant whistling noise as air passed over the hole.

I've actually thought about removing the star and replacing it with the flat badge, to try and avoid exactly the scenario you describe. Sorry to hear its happened.

I can only guess how you must feel. I would be absolutely furious. I only had the boot badge pulled off the back of my W124 and that was just annoying but all that mindless damage!!! The trouble is the scumbags get away with it because even if someone sees them ( except possibly the owner ) most people are too scared to say anything. Hence the constantly smashed up bus stops, windows etc. We are living in an age of mindless violence mainly by youths who think they are untouchable. So much for the "Get tough on crime message" from our Goverment. Can you give us a clue where this was to help avoid a repetition to someone elses pride and joy?

I've had my Mercedes metal dustcaps nicked twice.

I had mine nicked about 8 months ago, and I felt lost without it. I know it may sound silly but seeing the star there gives me a warm feeling about the car. It is like the flying lady on a Rolls, it isnt status, it's just part of the car. Well thats how I feel. So £14 later I had a new shiney one, and the parts guy had it fitted foc also. The car felt naked without it.

The badges are inexpensive, its just the ****ish behaviour of having to key the car. I love my mercedes, my wife and child think I am a loon as I take meticulous care over it - any tiny blemish / mark I am on it like a vulture. I would rather park in the empty bays at a greater distance in a carpark to avoid door damage from others. Now this happened in a residential area whilst visiting parents, it is by no means a rough area and it is MB, BMW and Lexus heaven. Felt very weird this morning driving to work without the badge, and last night very surreal seeing a spiral of steel pointing skywards where it used to be........

Just makes me angry, the only thing I did was go scrumping - my parents intsilled values in to me (as did my school) of respect, we are too flippin' quick to be mollycoddling these new generation of "microwave" kids (everything now in an instant).

thanks for the support - just angry.....

On the upshot apparently Sussex has the most sunshine every year than anywhere else in the country, shame it wasnt out last night!!!!

Caught one lad[17ish] at midnight ish on saturday trying to rip mine off - shouted from the front door - car's about 15 yards away - he ran like a scalded cat.

His mate had a lump of 2"x2" so I went and got my Maul [like a pick axe] handle [but longer and a bit thinner] and went looking for the little darlings - luckily for them the initial shout had warned them off.

jwarren said:
Just makes me angry, the only thing I did was go scrumping -

Still stealing:D :D I do feel for you, I have had several bonnet stars stolen over the years, someone had a go at mine recently but it wouldn't let go so I still have it. Sorry to hear about all the other damage, it is the society we live in and I suppose we are all partly to blame for it for accepting the things we have over many years. It has been a steady erosion of values over many years that has gotten us into the position we now find ourselves, sad really.

Perhaps I can can sharpen the insides of the star to a razors edge, or just wire it up under the bonnet to a tazer..... now I am just being daft!! Maybe a Bond gadget opportunity here, the star effortlessly glides into the body when engine off (like the rollers).

Been done already ....

Sp!ke has one ..... see his avatar .....

No one knows where to get them now and have never seen another one ... :(

Thats true - I have seen that - I am on a quest to find out!!!

jwarren said:
Just makes me angry, the only thing I did was go scrumping

The Krays started out by scrumping. They soon moved on to harder things - like chestnuts and conkers. From there it was but a short step to gangland domination, protection rackets and Friday night knee-cappings.

I think that if the kid who stole your star had known you were a former scrumper then he would have thought twice about doing it in case you were still knew people on the inside (of the orchard).

Do you have any mates who still scrump? Maybe one of them could catch these hooligans in the act. You know, give 'em a good coring, maybe even peel him or stew him. They wouldn't do it again after that.

Seriously, sorry to hear about your car. My star was swiped in broad daylight whilst I nipped into a shop for two minutes (funny how you notice something wrong with the car from even thirty feet away). Lucky for me it just snapped straight off.

Philip

Make sure that you report it to the police. I now it sounds funny, but even nicking dust caps (silver ones) is theft and eventually if a police farce's crime rates are bad enough for the smaller crimes they 'might' do something about it or the government might - you never know....

you are entitled for a CRN (Crime Ref No.) to ensure that it has been fully registered.....

Don't accept no for an answer. It is the only way that people know that mindless small(to some) crimes like these are being commited more and more....

Steve

Sorry to hear about this happening to your car.

Hopefully, all shall be fine when your car comes back from the body shop and just enjoy it afterwards and put this behind you.

PS. What colour is your car out of intrest ?

Trouble is the more you report to the police, the more it goes down on your areas record and eventually your insurance will go up.

I did report it to the Police, and as usual, shrug of shoulders and a nowt we can do - bit flippant when they said I shouldnt have a posh car. My insurer, Sainsburys, fantastic, within the hour of the call, all booked in, no paperwork, no fuss. Even the garage was on the ball, friendly, knowledgable and am sure they are happy as it is an insurance job!

The car is "Jasper" blue - now I thought Jaspers were a name for a wasp, so should be yellow and back - then I would look like a taxi - cant win.

Funny enough, the plod said they are going to do a target week in the area as I guess others had badges swiped and damage done.......... okay, I can live with the damage - gets fixed and no one was hurt. Its funny, as soon as you move onto a private estate you get next day visble co-operation from the law (just seen them cruising around) - god knows why at 13.30pm!!! All the thieving sods are in school (or not!).

Thanks for your support, appreciated.

Last edited:
Just had the badge ripped off my w124 today! Not been so angry in a while, wouldnt like to think what id have done if id caught them!

...from reading the post above, we're talking £14 to replace at the stealers?

Cheers,
C :mad:

CAT220 said:
...from reading the post above, we're talking £14 to replace at the stealers?

Around that much.

Only consolation when the badge gets nicked is if the paint work does not get damaged in process!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom