• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

1722428479273.jpeg

So there I was, lining up to take a snap of my lovely old Caravelle when suddenly some chump in an old Bentley pulls in and completely ruins the shot.

I saw the owner a few minutes later driving his kids away from a football training camp thing – it rather stood out amongst the predictable sea of SUVs etc, his 3 kids revelling in the attention!

I quite like that pity it's not the real thing 😉

I quite like that pity it's not the real thing 😉
Fwiw I think it looks lovely, and DVLA seem to show that number plate against a " 1928 Green Bentley" ?

Vehicle Details​

Vehicle makeBENTLEY
Date of first registrationJune 1997
Year of manufacture1928
Cylinder capacity4398 cc
CO₂ emissionsNot available
Fuel typePETROL
Euro statusNot available
Real Driving Emissions (RDE)Not available
Export markerNo
Vehicle statusTaxed
Vehicle colourGREEN
Vehicle type approvalNot available
Wheelplan2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weightNot available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued22 October 2021

I do agree it looks stunning 😍 it was up for sale earlier this year for a staggering sum of £380,000🙂

Another stunner today . . . . .

{ IMG }

KR Matt :thumb:
Wow, is that road legal (I don't see a front number plate) yet it appears to be in a petrol forecourt

Wow, is that road legal (I don't see a front number plate) yet it appears to be in a petrol forecourt
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Saw this rather beautiful Riley pull up outside Ye Olde Swan at Radcot on Friday:

amHkMdK.jpeg

f0Djrt0.jpeg

xUiiOXx.jpeg

tuy8vGb.jpeg

Had a brief conversation with the owner who was obviously very proud of it and the fact that he'd bagged it in its current fully restored condition for £18k.

Saw this rather beautiful Riley pull up outside Ye Olde Swan at Radcot on Friday
Had a brief conversation with the owner who was obviously very proud of it and the fact that he'd bagged it in its current fully restored condition for £18k.
Last year I met the (very elderly) father of a very close childhood friend. I hadn't met my friend himself for over 60y, but had seen his father around 20y ago & recalled that at the time he had a couple of old Rileys to occupy his retirement with.
Last year when I met him, he could hardly even walk, poor old chap. Conversation (inevitably) got round to his old cars, and he mentioned that he had one left but that he was obviously unable to drive it now. He was rather disillusioned, because although it was immaculate "no one seems to want to buy it"...
Right part of the country, I wonder,,,, 🤔

Saw this rather beautiful Riley pull up outside Ye Olde Swan at Radcot on Friday:

amHkMdK.jpeg

f0Djrt0.jpeg

xUiiOXx.jpeg

tuy8vGb.jpeg

That is gorgeous!

Conversation (inevitably) got round to his old cars, and he mentioned that he had one left but that he was obviously unable to drive it now. He was rather disillusioned, because although it was immaculate "no one seems to want to buy it"...
Right part of the country, I wonder,,,, 🤔
I think the sad truth is that pretty much all pre-war and immediately post-war cars - with a narrow list of exceptions - just don't work well on modern roads. Many also require "unusual" (for today's drivers) driving techniques that hardly anyone now remembers, then add in that there's a tiny and shrinking pool of people who know how to maintain them properly and also where to find necessary spares and you have a perfect storm regarding values. The RMB in my photo's is one of the exceptions in that it was a beautifully proportioned car of that era that was also blessed with enough performance to make it usable today without commanding the telephone number prices of the exotica from the same sort of period.

A friend of mine has a 1925 Rolls-Royce 20hp Tourer and the reality of such cars is that their value has been and is dropping year on year because those who knew how to drive and maintain them have mostly shuffled off this mortal coil leaving a tiny (and still shrinking) market amongst a few eccentrics. How many people are there willing to spend hours greasing the chassis and running gear every 500 miles? Or deal with the almost inevitable cracked cylinder head? Or coax a recalcitrant auto-vac into delivering fuel reliably? Not many, I'd wager. I've driven it and it really does take some planning and concentration just to navigate our roads, let alone mix it with even light traffic. The engine may be a wonderfully smooth and tractable 6-pot, but the gearbox is heavy and cantankerous, the steering heavy and ponderous and cast iron brake shoes on cast iron drums do not good stopping power make.

Some things are better as memories.

Saw this on my travels to Somerset at the weekend. Spoke to the owner and he was the 4th owner, it had done 115k and was very tidy.

20240802_150839.jpg

Also today on the M4 (couldn't get a pic as driving) a lovely old 2 seater, think it said Sapphire, looked pretty cool

I think the sad truth is that pretty much all pre-war and immediately post-war cars - with a narrow list of exceptions - just don't work well on modern roads. Many also require "unusual" (for today's drivers) driving techniques that hardly anyone now remembers, then add in that there's a tiny and shrinking pool of people who know how to maintain them properly and also where to find necessary spares and you have a perfect storm regarding values.

Even immaculate cars of that period seem to go for peanuts (relatively speaking) now. Apart from the generally poor driving experience the demand for them has dropped off as people with a bit of spare money now who remember them as family cars in their youth have dwindled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom