• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

I think the sad truth is that pretty much all pre-war and immediately post-war cars - with a narrow list of exceptions - just don't work well on modern roads. Many also require "unusual" (for today's drivers) driving techniques that hardly anyone now remembers, then add in that there's a tiny and shrinking pool of people who know how to maintain them properly and also where to find necessary spares and you have a perfect storm regarding values. The RMB in my photo's is one of the exceptions in that it was a beautifully proportioned car of that era that was also blessed with enough performance to make it usable today without commanding the telephone number prices of the exotica from the same sort of period.

A friend of mine has a 1925 Rolls-Royce 20hp Tourer and the reality of such cars is that their value has been and is dropping year on year because those who knew how to drive and maintain them have mostly shuffled off this mortal coil leaving a tiny (and still shrinking) market amongst a few eccentrics. How many people are there willing to spend hours greasing the chassis and running gear every 500 miles? Or deal with the almost inevitable cracked cylinder head? Or coax a recalcitrant auto-vac into delivering fuel reliably? Not many, I'd wager. I've driven it and it really does take some planning and concentration just to navigate our roads, let alone mix it with even light traffic. The engine may be a wonderfully smooth and tractable 6-pot, but the gearbox is heavy and cantankerous, the steering heavy and ponderous and cast iron brake shoes on cast iron drums do not good stopping power make.

Some things are better as memories.

Have seen a couple of Bangers & Cash episodes where Derek M. has said the market for prewar cars in the UK is dropping off in proportion to those knowledgeable about them also "dropping off" and the youngsters now wanting "Youngtimers" such as 1980 & '90s Fords/VW/BMW/Audi/Subaru etc.

I've been on a steep learning curve since acquiring my 1922 Citroen B2 and 1926 Chevrolet Superior Series V Touring ... both with no power steering, solid and wooden wheels respectively, no sychro gearboxes, no wipers, magneto start, 6V electrics and poor lighting, rear brakes only (handbrake on rear, too). It's "fun" finding bits ... bodywork almost impossible but greasy bits available if you search hard and long enough, or cobble something together with the help of a retired garagiste and another engineer friend who used to make and sell ford race engines i.e Burton & Cosworth back in the day. Every day is still a school day and makes retirement just that bit more interesting.

The upside is the interest shown at the car shows. Lots of other oldies there - mostly French of course - and several owned by youngsters (20/30s) who inherited from their grand/parents and who are keen to keep them going. Such a vibrant community and perhaps more so than the UK, but I have no knowledge of that scene any more.

Another friend has a 1938 Bentley and 1959 Jaguar XK150, both in superb order and a French friend has over 20 Rolls & Bentleys from the late 1920s to present day, including a couple of Corniches and his pride and joy is a 1936 20/25 Tourer. He is President of the France Rolls Royce and Bentley Club with his own Museum and - more importantly - all the gear for maintaining his cars. Just a lucky coincidence he is so close.

Also recently bought a 1985 Citroen 2CV6 Special which needs bodywork including new floor panels but every part is readily available and there are clubs galore with loads of advice. You can take the whole car apart with a socket set, hammer, pliers and screwdrivers ... O.K need a hub puller for axles/brakes, but every garage has one. Aforementioned friend has built 3 from scratch to concours standard, but I'll be happy with new floor panels, a chassis clean/Dinitrol and a new paint job.

Still, keeps me off the streets and, as Mrs Swotty says, away from conspiracy theories ... or, as I now refer to them, prophecies. 😁

Have seen a couple of Bangers & Cash episodes where Derek M. has said the market for prewar cars in the UK is dropping off in proportion to those knowledgeable about them also "dropping off" and the youngsters now wanting "Youngtimers" such as 1980 & '90s Fords/VW/BMW/Audi/Subaru etc.

I find the Youtube videos they do of the cars coming up for sale strangely addictive :D

E.g.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Visited the monthly car meet at The Deering Arms, Pluckley Station today (2nd Sunday each month), so many lovely cars, far too many to photograph, lots of MB's of various vintages - different varieties of SL including a very nice 190, SLK, a GTC AMG with a V8 Biturbo sign on the side, plus loads of other interesting stuff - a good variety of MG's, a number of Stags, different varieties of Jaguar from XK's (don't know whether they were 120,140 or 150's), E type drop top and hard top, XK8 4L, Mk2 3.8's, 2 Lambos, 1 McLaren, loaads of others.
We arrived at 11.30 and parking was already prety full, by the time we left 1 hour later it had overflowed, so get there early!!

Visited the monthly car meet at The Deering Arms, Pluckley Station today (2nd Sunday each month), so many lovely cars, far too many to photograph, lots of MB's of various vintages - different varieties of SL including a very nice 190, SLK, a GTC AMG with a V8 Biturbo sign on the side, plus loads of other interesting stuff - a good variety of MG's, a number of Stags, different varieties of Jaguar from XK's (don't know whether they were 120,140 or 150's), E type drop top and hard top, XK8 4L, Mk2 3.8's, 2 Lambos, 1 McLaren, loaads of others.
We arrived at 11.30 and parking was already prety full, by the time we left 1 hour later it had overflowed, so get there early!!
Sounds like a nice event 👍🏻

It was BD! We've not been for a few years, last time was in our 968 cab, we stopped going because it was a bit snobby and stuck up, but today was OK so we'll probably go again later this year, got another big one end of the month at Headcorn Airfield which should be good.

Very nearly bought the house on the corner - first left towards the centre/Black Horse but eventually bought in Canterbury. Had many a lovely pint and meal at the Deering Arms ... with its special windows, I recall?

Have only eaten there once, lovely meal as I remember but the wine list was "extensive" and pricey - which I believe it was known for. However, the long time owner put it on the market a while back having decided to retire, and I don't know if it has changed hands - decided to not have a pint or two there and go instead to our favourite, the Bowl Inn just off the top of Charing Hill (turn left into Bowl lane, 1 mile later you're there).!

Have only eaten there once, lovely meal as I remember but the wine list was "extensive" and pricey - which I believe it was known for. However, the long time owner put it on the market a while back having decided to retire, and I don't know if it has changed hands - decided to not have a pint or two there and go instead to our favourite, the Bowl Inn just off the top of Charing Hill (turn left into Bowl lane, 1 mile later you're there).!

Know the Bowl Inn well. used to go there for lunch once a week and pleased to hear it's still going, as I retired 20 years ago!

When I used to live in Kingwood near Leeds Castle, my local was the Pepperbox Inn at Ulcombe, when Geoff & Sarah ran it. Called in last year and, although the beer was still great, it has become very expensive foody. The Duck Inn at Pett Bottom was another favourite, along with the Black Robin at Kingston, not forgetting The Compasses at Crundale, with their pies, after moving to Canterbury.

There are/were some lovely pubs in the Kent countryside. English pubs are apparently what French expats miss most about England. I concur entirely.

Know The Pepperbox, found that recently on one of our Sunday jaunts, liked it for a drink. As for Compasses, went there once about 2 years ago and it was awful, but that landlord has now left and the couple that ran Timber Batts near Hastingleigh took it on, it's now Timber Batts at The Compasses. If it's anything like the one we knew, quirky does not quite cover the decor!! Haven't been there since they took it on.

This part of the world has some lovely pubs - including The 6 Bells in Woodchurch - which happens to be a 300 yard walk from our front door!!

Saw this beauty yesterday (the car, not the bored dog inside!) & had a quick chat with the very nice owner, for sale apparently @ £80k. It was immaculate.

View attachment 159491
KR Matt :thumb:
But was it one of the very many remanufactured SL’s coming out of East Europe? (It has only ever had one MoT according to DVLA)

This one is actually off-the-road.... buy still:

Screenshot-20240812-154732-Gallery.jpg

Know The Pepperbox, found that recently on one of our Sunday jaunts, liked it for a drink. As for Compasses, went there once about 2 years ago and it was awful, but that landlord has now left and the couple that ran Timber Batts near Hastingleigh took it on, it's now Timber Batts at The Compasses. If it's anything like the one we knew, quirky does not quite cover the decor!! Haven't been there since they took it on.

This part of the world has some lovely pubs - including The 6 Bells in Woodchurch - which happens to be a 300 yard walk from our front door!!
Haven't been in the 6 Bells for almost 20 years. Looked at a house in Woodchurch, too ... Blacksmith's Forge or Rectory - sorry, confusing with another place on the North Downs and can't remember! Thanks for the update on the Compasses.

Might visit Woodchurch next time we're over - Mrs Swotty's brother and s-i-l lives in Tenterden and we mix stays between them and friends in High Halden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom