• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

Me too. For anyone brought up in Coventry they were known as the ‘D Di van’ from D. Di Mascio, and a cornet was known as a ‘d di’
I’ve not heard of D.Di Mascio before this post. However, we lived in Coventry (Ernsford Grange) in the late 70s, our daughter being about 2 yrs old at the time. The ice cream van that (inconveniently) arrived just around her bed time didn’t have the usual tuneful (tuneless??) chime, but one that we assumed was broken, as it just had two bongs.

Said daughter christened this Deedee, and flatly refused to settle down until flippin Deedee had been and gone.

So did the ‘D Di Mascio’ van have this chime? It would explain a lot, and we could tell our daughter that she DIDN’T invent the name…

I don’t know, but almost certainly, as in the early seventies they were based just off the Foleshill road 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Looks like they did, as well as several in Coventry sorry the link leads to Facebook

I’ve not heard of D.Di Mascio before this post. However, we lived in Coventry (Ernsford Grange) in the late 70s, our daughter being about 2 yrs old at the time. The ice cream van that (inconveniently) arrived just around her bed time didn’t have the usual tuneful (tuneless??) chime, but one that we assumed was broken, as it just had two bongs.

Said daughter christened this Deedee, and flatly refused to settle down until flippin Deedee had been and gone.

So did the ‘D Di Mascio’ van have this chime? It would explain a lot, and we could tell our daughter that she DIDN’T invent the name…

Yes it did.
The ‘di’ wasn’t pronounced as per the Italian, but ‘dee die’, and the chime was two notes repeated, which we as kids thought was playing ‘dee die, dee die’
“Mum! Can we have a dee die”! Whatever the seller was!!

Anyone who remembers the Strada/Ritmo will also remember the advert 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(Barber of Seville?)

Anyone who remembers the Strada/Ritmo will also remember the advert 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(Barber of Seville?)

Fwiw I even remember the parodys of that advert.
Not the Nine o Clock News did their Hand built by Roberts ( aka Bob) and then there was the version where your same memorable advert was finished off showing some catastrophic crashes, and that had the title : " FIAT - Hand built by robots, driven by Italians "

Fwiw I even remember the parodys of that advert.
Not the Nine o Clock News did their Hand built by Roberts ( aka Bob) and then there was the version where your same memorable advert was finished off showing some catastrophic crashes, and that had the title : " FIAT - Hand built by robots, driven by Italians "
Great sketch.

Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom