Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I should have stuck a qualifying link in to the recall

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...l-3-million-diesel-cars-on-emissions-concerns

I know this has been rumbling for a while.. mine is Euro 4 hence not in the frame thankfully.

Our Euro 5 Golf has cooled EGR and a particulate trap. Remapping the engine tuning and EGR to make less NOx and 'leaning' on the DPF to mop up the extra particulate and relying on the consumer to not get too annoyed by the reduced performance and fuel economy, is nominally a viable strategy.

Euro 4 and earlier diesels in the main will not have cooled EGR or particulate traps. Tuned to produce minimum particulates, pushes up NOx. Tuned to reduce NOx pushes up particulates. These pollutants just go straight out the tailpipe. Hence there isn't much that can be done from a remapping viewpoint, so no point in recalling them. I hate to say it but these older diesel cars will become regarded as gross polluters of NOx and/or particulates and are likely to be banned from major cities in the not so distant future.

Our Euro 5 Golf has cooled EGR and a particulate trap. Remapping the engine tuning and EGR to make less NOx and 'leaning' on the DPF to mop up the extra particulate and relying on the consumer to not get too annoyed by the reduced performance and fuel economy, is nominally a viable strategy.

Euro 4 and earlier diesels in the main will not have cooled EGR or particulate traps. Tuned to produce minimum particulates, pushes up NOx. Tuned to reduce NOx pushes up particulates. These pollutants just go straight out the tailpipe. Hence there isn't much that can be done from a remapping viewpoint, so no point in recalling them. I hate to say it but these older diesel cars will become regarded as gross polluters of NOx and/or particulates and are likely to be banned from major cities in the not so distant future.

Got the email from TFL today Euro 4 diesels and petrols to get doubled congestion charge from October.

Can't say I'm sorry about the diesels. I'm back cycling to work in the city and see so many diesels chucking out loads of soot.

Just not meant to be in the city.

My wife's VW Polo was recalled; 6weeks later we had a failed EGR. After a firm but polite conversation to the main dealer, then VW GB, the main dealer relented and agreed replacement EGR and all associated work to repair free of charge.

A quick trawl on the web will give you an idea of the problems encountered following the VW recall.

The EGR valve assembly failed on our Golf before we had the remap done. This is a common fault with this engine. Ours was replaced under the good will scheme.

There are a lot of so-called 'problems' that are apparently correlated with the remap. Not convinced myself.

Come on, no-one believed this was unique to VW, surely?

Depends what you by 'this'.

VW were found to be, and admitted, explicitly 'cycle beating'. This was specifically outlawed by the EPA in the early 90's (if I recall) in response to widespread practice by the OEMs.

Today, I'm sure other OEMs have found ways to get the best emissions results when tested, but have so far not been found to be in breach of the regulations. Probably a subtle difference, but an important one. That MB are clearly a bit nervous about this illustrates how fine the line is.

Software emissions fix for three million Mercedes diesels

On BBC news....

Three million Mercedes-Benz owners in Europe will be offered a software fix for their diesel cars.
Daimler, which owns the luxury car maker, has been under intense pressure from police and prosecutors.
Authorities are investigating the possible manipulation of diesel exhaust emissions in passenger cars.
A Daimler spokesman said the software fix, which will cost about 220m euros (£195m), was not linked to the police investigation.
He said the "voluntary service measure" was to cut nitrogen oxide pollution.
"The service actions involve no costs for the customers. The implementation of the measures will be starting in the next weeks," Daimler said.
The measures come after German MPs last week questioned Mercedes-Benz executives about emissions.
At the time the carmaker agreed with the transport ministry to undergo another round of emissions tests.
In May German police searched 11 offices of the carmaker as part of an investigation into possible fraudulent emissions data by employees.
A total of 23 prosecutors and 230 police officers took part in the search in the states of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Berlin, Lower Saxony and Saxony.

Will this recall affect me? I have an SLK 250Cdi with the OM651 engine
Also what adverse effects could this 'software update' have?

Yes - it's the OM607/Renault K9K engine....which doesn't surprise me as I recall there were questions levelled at Renault last year, over the emissions of this engine. It'll be interesting to see if Renault now get questioned again.

Will this recall affect me? I have an SLK 250Cdi with the OM651 engine
Also what adverse effects could this 'software update' have?

Looking at the VW 'fix' (note I put fix within inverted commas!), on a selfish-basis, I'd be very reluctant to go-ahead with any software updates. It all appears a bit of a fudge....

This is a 'voluntary' recall for the vehicles likely affected by the issue.

Even if my car was one of them it would not be going back to the dealer for a ECU re-flash which could have a detrimental effect on performance.

Mercedes aren't going to be spending 220m euros now unless they fear a bigger bill in the future.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...dia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_OM_607&prev=search

https://translate.google.com/transl...w.mbfaq.com/viewtopic.php?t=230516&edit-text=

OM6073_zps956d3788.jpg

OM6074_zps8ad323df.jpg

Last edited:

"One of the currently dirtiest diesel engines. It exceeds the NOx nitrogen limit (NOx) by 13 times. Dirty in Europe are the Fiat 500X and Renault Captur with 17- or 16-fold overshoot".

No wonder TFL is coming down hard on the Euro 4's. God knows what they are pumping out in London on the school run.......

Feeling a little nervous about this. Car will be out of warranty at the end of the year and will also be due a service which no doubt will include the software update. I'm wondering what will break....

Is there a list of years and models which will be affected by this recall? I've tried Google but can't find anything....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom