Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've recently had the "fix" done on my 2014 Skoda Superb. I was very wary, having heard the stories of fixed engines being noisier, less economical, requiring more revs to move off, etc.

I'm actually delighted. The differences are very slight, but in the right direction: definitely smoother, quieter, and more responsive. Where "putting your foot down" at 60 on the motorway in sixth gear used to produce absolutely no response (so change down, silly boy!), it now produces noticeable acceleration.

Yet to see what happens with the EGR ...

Mercedes?

Combination of fines, relying almost entirely on diesel car sales in Europe, and the looming PCP crisis?

The motor trade at all levels could be in for a difficult future.

Punters refusing to part with elderly diesels because the part ex values have plummeted leading to fewer new car sales.

Forecourts stacked out with unsellable used diesels.

Finance companies losing millions on GFV promises when the finance ends and punters walk away.

Debtors getting uneasy over their PCP deals and turfing cars back early.

Overall, it might be surprising how quickly this fiasco comes to a head.

Debtors getting uneasy over their PCP deals and turfing cars back early.

Overall, it might be surprising how quickly this fiasco comes to a head.

Problem extends to the German manufacturers who seem to have been dumping cars through the use of cheepo PCP deals in an effort to keep their factories busy.

Net result is that 90% of these supposed luxury cars are leased/hired/contract rented, if that "sales" model goes pear shaped how do they keep going?

If low and medium income people have got used to having a brand new Mercedes-Benz for £200 a month, what happens when the deals vanish and they have to actual buy one?

2 hopes, Bob Hope and no hope...

Is there a list of years and models which will be affected by this recall? I've tried Google but can't find anything....

https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/eng...sions-fix-three-million-mercedes-diesels.html

and
provides customers with the option to have new software for cars running with the OM 607 turbocharged 1.5-litre four-cylinder diesel engine, which is used in Mercedes A-Class, B-Class, CLA and GLA models, to lower their output of nitrogen oxide.

Altho its based on an Renault engine design it would interesting to know exactly what part Mercedes originally took in the engine ECU mapping as installed in their own cars? Was it a direct lift/supply from Renault or was it Mercedes own map.

from this article
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/daimler-change-software-three-million-diesel-cars-europe

Last edited:
Altho its based on an Renault engine design

Sorry, I plainly don't know anything about this subject at all, but Renault?! :eek:

Why on earth did Mercedes, creator of unarguably the best diesel engines of the past 45 years, stick a clattery little lump from one of Europe's finest purveyors of unreliable rotboxes into one of their cars?

Why on earth did Mercedes, creator of unarguably the best diesel engines of the past 45 years, stick a clattery little lump from one of Europe's finest purveyors of unreliable rotboxes into one of their cars?

Because Renault and Peugeot both make very good diesel engines, and have managed to build cars and vans, which unlike Mercedes don't rust.

Mercedes are hardly known for their reliability or rust resistance...

Because Renault and Peugeot both make very good diesel engines, and have managed to build cars and vans, which unlike Mercedes don't rust.

Mercedes are hardly known for their reliability or rust resistance...

Can't argue with older Peugeots (I loved my 306 cab, but our 3008 is quite unpleasant) but I've never seen a Renault diesel over 5 years old (they still exist, they're just hidden in black clouds of particulates). The diesel Clio I owned before I gave up on the marque for good after 4 cars had catastrophic electrical or rust problems was wheezy, clattery, underpowered and incredibly smoky. I scrapped it at 55k because the EPAS and diesel injection pumps were done for by that time and I couldn't face another 40k of grueling misery driving the nasty little heap until it rusted away.

But even with Peugeot, just look at e.g. the OM606 vs it's contemporary the Peugeot 2.0HDi and there is no comparison in terms of power, smoothness or longevity. Or the taxi-driver's favorite, the OM602, which could happily go on for over 600k with just regular servicing.

Also aren't Renault diesels one of the worst offenders for real world vs lab NOx emissions?

Do you think it will affect the new 1950cc Diesel engine as well? This should already be much cleaner than the old 2150 engine.

Not that any of this affects me, I wonder can you instruct them to not carry out the software update?

VW requested our permission before they would carry out the work on our Golf.

Don't know if MB will take same approach.

"Interesting" news for European owners of recent Mercedes diesel cars!

VW requested our permission before they would carry out the work on our Golf.

Don't know if MB will take same approach.

Cannot see how Mercedes can force you to have the work done, they don't own my car and I purchased it as is and am quite happy.

My car runs really well I will need a fair bit of convincing before allowing any work I'm not authorising.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If low and medium income people have got used to having a brand new Mercedes-Benz for £200 a month, what happens when the deals vanish and they have to actual buy one?

Don't know about the £200 a month Merc but MB want £6000 deposit plus £369 a month for a c220 AMG which works out at about £20,000 over three years with a final purchase value of £13500. I wonder how many people think that's a good deal.:eek:

Don't know about the £200 a month Merc but MB want £6000 deposit plus £369 a month for a c220 AMG which works out at about £20,000 over three years with a final purchase value of £13500. I wonder how many people think that's a good deal.:eek:

Yeah totally agree we had a display model 7 series BMW in for repair and they wanted something like 9 grand deposit £800 a month for 5 years and final payment of 25 grand ish if I remember right, so yeah that's a good cheap deal aswell lol.

Cannot see how Mercedes can force you to have the work done, they don't own my car and I purchased it as is and am quite happy.

My car runs really well I will need a fair bit of convincing before allowing any work I'm not authorising.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,
Whilst you own the car - you don't actually own the rights to the software in the ECUs (only the ability to use the software that is provided in them).
It's a real grey area - but I am with you and would resist an update if the dealer tried to push me.
When I ran cars with modified ECUs in the UK - I always told the dealer to call me before they did an update to the ECUs.
I understand that it will be more difficult to avoid updates on MB than some other brands - because I believe the dealer hooks up the car to the diagnostic system which is networked to MB main system.
Main system then scans the car and downloads new software to any ECU that requires it. This would obviously include new engine ECU software for emissions.
Cheers
Steve

if you look at the numbers there, your right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom