• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The UK Politics & Brexit Thread

It's so bad I actually felt sorry for Starmer with his rain coat on. Imagine sitting through 4 hours of that. The only thing of any merit was the mechanical horse galloping along the Seine.

Macon claimed it would be better than London 2012. In your dreams - out of touch with this as with everything else.
What’s the score with the EU flag etc??

If anyone is really into their sports it’s worth having a look at Nigel Wray memorabilia on Google.
Apart from being the ex owner of Saracens he’s an avid collector of sports memorabilia owning a torch from every games from 1896.

Superb finish by Celine Dion, with that classic French anthem "Hymn to love" from Edith Piaf. (Worth a watch)

But a ceremony designed for the international TV audience. with barely anyone performing live.

A soggy dispiriting evening for anyone stood on the river bank, watching fragments passing briefly, in the pouring rain. Let alone the poor athletes, waving at non-existent riverside crowds. Lets hope no Olympic ambitions were destroyed by this soggy evening out.

But the organisers knew all that when they planned it.

Last edited:
I am the only one that appreciates the irony of the French Olympics Ceremony involving foreigners in boats?!🤔🙄
Yeh,
but if it's possible to politely suggest, it is better than neighbours in tanks.

Security for Keir Starmer at the Olympics is provided by the US Secret Service, who learnt their lesson from recent events ("How he could not see his target??")

Screenshot-20240727-111144-Chrome.jpg

I missed Celine Dion and expect she was always going to be a highlight. But really even without the rain, they had no chance of topping the 2012 ceremony directed by Danny Boyle. He was offered a Knight hood afterwords but turned it down because he's not in favour of the monarchy which makes the truly inspired stunt with the Queen all the more surprising. No one could top that and in any case I doubt Macron has the dead pan acting skills to even try.

And today's "No Sheet, Sherlock" award goes to Rachel Reeves, for binning her Infrastructure manifesto commitments because she didn't realise that there isn't any free money around. (Let alone chaps to do the work)

I'm still wondering where we're getting the builders from to build 300,000 new homes every year for five years?

Anyone got a few thousand brickies playing cards in the cafe at the end of your road? How many tradesmen does it actually take to build, fit out and decorate 300,000 homes a year? Anyone care to hazard a number?

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.23.04.png

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.23.24.png

Screenshot 2024-07-27 at 12.23.42.png

Last edited:
And today's "No Sheet, Sherlock" award goes to Rachel Reeves, for binning her Infrastructure manifesto commitments because she didn't realise that there isn't any free money around.
Opposition promises collide with delivery reality. What a shock!

I wonder how long it will be before Beaker's "green energy" wings are clipped?

Opposition promises collide with delivery reality. What a shock!
I wonder how long it will be before Beaker's "green energy" wings are clipped?
Or perhaps this ex-junior regional commercial bank analyst doesn't know that "Economics is the study of scarcity and its implications for the use of resources, production of goods and services, growth of production and welfare over time, and a variety of other complex issues that concern society."

Last edited:
To be fair to the Labour, they weren't actually elected on the back of their 'fantasy football" elections manifesto, instead they were elected because the Tories went into self-destruction mode.
True. The Fantasy Football manifesto lost Corbyn and Watson the 2019 election.

2024 was the Tories own work.

At least Labour have a massive majority to let them get some stuff done at last.

And the support of the EU and international business community and business media.

Throwing away the two or four billion quid tunnel to avoid Stonehenge would surely be a win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom