2004 Formal GTG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kinky

MB Enthusiast
Car
All sorts of odds n sods
Dear Admins, Moderators and the rest of us, oh and Fuzzer too.

I'm really throwing this open to the floor as an idea/question ....

I know we had 2 successful GTG's in 2003 at Jimmys and Maffs.

What's happening for 2004?

What are the possibilities of having a single national event, somewhere centrally, so the southern softies and northern/Scottish hardmen (and Pammy) can easily get there, then a nice country drive/timed/fun/competiton run somewhere, ending up at some hotel or something, and then spend the evening at a black tie event/dinner, and stay over at the hotel, and so on and so on ....

I'm not thinking a huge lavish extravagant mega-buck event - but basically a weekend to remember.

K

P.S. I expect this to get moved to the Events section, but I'm hoping to solicit more feedback/answers here.

P.P.S - Apologies if I'm stepping on someones toes - ie - the MB Club Social Events organizer (is there one?) or perhaps pre-empting something which is already in planning.

P.P.P.S - Is Jimmys too far south for the Northernfolk?

Last edited:
Kinky - where is Jimmy's and Maff's? could let you know if either are a goer for us.Sounds promising though as an idea:)

Kinky said:
- the MB Club Social Events organizer (is there one?)

With Grand Ideas like this you will soon be elected !!!! :)

Sounds good, sounds like ... BTaP :D

I'd possibly be up for it, but it would clearly not be cheap. I don't know that we have enough active members to make it worthwhile ... worth asking though :)

I don't feel that jimmy's was too far to go and for a weekend I would certainly drive that far (and further).

Crikey Kinky, you got loads of time on your hands, what with the stickers and now this :p

pammy said:
Kinky - where is Jimmy's and Maff's? could let you know if either are a goer for us.Sounds promising though as an idea:)

pammy - jimmy's was in Kettering, Northants, Maff's was Taplow, Maidenhead - so not too far from you then ;)

That's right, Maff's is just south of manchester ;)

But in all seriousness though, it's just an idea like as Flyer says like BPaP (Black Ties & Pies).

But it would have to be North of Manchester or thereabouts to make it viable for everyone, and be a truly national event.

And with the idea being we have a GTG, a fun run (in the cars) and dinner, beers & stay-over then it would make it worthwhile for everyone to come together, as opposed to just sitting in a car park somewhere, compare engines and alloys and exactly who has the shiniest silver (;)) - you know what I mean.

I would think next summer would give us all enough time to plan it all, save for it, etc, etc.

I agree it may not be a cheap event, hence the timing to get the best deal possible, with best alternatives, and ensure that we get enough people to attend to make it worthwhile.

It's only an idea which I would certainly sign up to, but as stated previously, I don't want to take anything away from previous events or those who have organised them.

Ultimately I'm just asking if anything would be done?

As for having time on my hands - that's what 2 weeks holiday does for you (inbetween setting up Thomas the tank engines track, watching Brum on DVD, and everything that Kinky Junior wants to do).

My whole work ethos for next year is changing dramatically, which will give me more time to do all the things that I want to do.

K

Don't worry about stepping on anybody's toes - ALL the GTGs have been arranged because somebody said "I know, I'll organise one".

AFAIK jimmy organised the one in Kettering because he had the premises; Maff ditto. The Northern one came about because Ian enjoyed the summer one at Maff's and so he organised one. I have 'sort of' organised one at Castle Combe. None of us sits at the higher table, as Graham has said recently "... run by enthusiasts for enthusaists".

If you have the time and inclination, do it. I would imagine we're all here to help where we can; it just takes one person with a spark to move it along - you are that spark mate :cool:

Cheers
Andrew

(Watch me get corrected now :p )

I think I'll sit and wait for a reponse from on high.

Flyer, As you say, Graham said We are "run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts", but it's one thing sorting out a few stickers, it's quite another to organise a formal national event - which (I would imagine) is THE MB Club event of the year - therefore would/should be run by the boys upstairs - as opposed to some jumped-up southern softie who has nothing better to do.

I'd be quite happy to help pull this together, but it's a club event and therefore should be a team effort.

K

Kinky said:
Dear Admins, Moderators and the rest of us, oh and Fuzzer too.

P.P.P.S - Is Jimmys too far south for the Northernfolk?

Im glad you included me in your opening speech :) very kind of you lol

Jimmys is ok kokie. Maffs was alright too but was basically two days travel for me and my folks to go.

With a group booking surely we should get a good deal on somewhere.

This looks nice :)
Click meh

Funny you should choose Mottram Hall - that's one of the places I was originally thinking about along with Carden Park.

And before you all get heart attacks over possible prices ....

I'm was thinking I'd probably get a mega deal thru work (nearly always do).

K

Excellent idea. ;)

I am up for hosting another GTG and was going to put the suggestion forward in the new year for some time late spring/early summer, but you beat me to it.

Kettering is fairly central with easy access off the A14 from the M6/M1 and A1, I have a feeling if you try for further north than Brum, numbers will be less. Mottram Hall is a lovely place and I have relatives nearby so that is good for me too.

If you want me to host the event at Kettering that is fine with me, my only trouble is getting the time to organise this type of thing, we would need a committee to take charge of different aspects, I could not take the task on single handed.

The offer is there but please dont feel you have to, we could always have another event at Kettering later in the year.

Jimmy,

To be quite frank - I don't want to go to your place.

I'll end up spending £4,000 on bits and pieces on the car, which I really really want but have no absolute no need for :D :D :D

Then Mrs Kinky will kill me for spending all our 'bathroom' fund, divorce me, then I'll be out on my ear, living in my car, parked up at the car park at work.

I suppose the positive side of it is that I'd have all the goodies I could possibly want for the car.

What the Hell - Jimmy - I'll be there in the morning .... purely for 'recce' purposes only ;)

K

Kinky said:
Jimmy,

I'll end up spending £4,000 on bits and pieces on the car, which I really really want but have no absolute no need for :D :D :D

What the Hell - Jimmy - I'll be there in the morning .... purely for 'recce' purposes only ;)

K

£4,000!!! I'll be open Christmas day waiting then, you'd best dress up as Santa if you are gonna spend that much. :D

A "Meet in the Middle" sounds good ! As far as how far north or south of the "middle" that might be is neither here nor there, .... (following the zillion miles incurred during the Germany trip !)

S.

Nice one Sym - we got a cracking name - "Meet in the Middle".

so that's it - cool.

Ah minor detail - gotta sort it now :(

Admins/Mods/Rockers/boyz upstairs - any guidance/approval ... ?

K

Please - not Mottram Hall. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it was kack. The food was dire - rooms OK - but very dissappointing. Had to get mortal to get through :D - boy that was a hangover and a half:(

I know a fabby hotel near Chipping - The Gibbon Bridge - it is stunning and the food is superb. A really lovely spot with amazing rooms:bannana: .

Somewhere in the middle sounds good, a nice country hotel with character and personality? Just a suggestion, this one looks OK

http://www.regalhotels.co.uk/hotel.asp?hotelID=70

pammy said:
I know a fabby hotel ..... A really lovely spot with amazing rooms:bannana: .

Somewhere in the middle sounds good, a nice country hotel with character and personality?
And there was me thinking you were offering us your place :(

K

Ideally we are looking for somewhere in the NW or NE . This is equidistant.

Anyone got ideas ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom