• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

I am an owner of a C250 CDI (bought October 2009) which fortunately has NOT broken down yet.

Received an official letter ("Service Measure No P143") from MBUK today informing me of the software/injector issue and inviting me to call my dealer to get it fixed. :thumb:

I am quite impressed with how proactively MB is handling this. They are certaintly not trying to "duck" the issue.

I got that letter too - but mine doesn't mention injectors, but rather a problem with the fuel pump.

I got that letter too - but mine doesn't mention injectors, but rather a problem with the fuel pump.

The actual wording is "a software error in the control unit of the fuel pump, in rare cases, the engine diagnosis warning lamp may also be activated".

I just assumed it was all part of the injector issue.

:dk:

Apparently the whole issue is caused by the ECU sending too many volts to the injectors so the update rectifies that.

Apparently the whole issue is caused by the ECU sending too many volts to the injectors so the update rectifies that.

This is what I learned from my friend at MB. The piezo stacks receive frequent high voltage spikes during startup. So it really looks like it's all coming together.

This is what I learned from my friend at MB. The piezo stacks receive frequent high voltage spikes during startup. So it really looks like it's all coming together.

So - will they change the injectors to the V5 injectors or just do the software upgrade?

The actual wording is "a software error in the control unit of the fuel pump, in rare cases, the engine diagnosis warning lamp may also be activated".

I just assumed it was all part of the injector issue.

Based on comments made in this thread MB have a huge backlog of injectors - even if they do a recall at some point, and I think that's extremely unlikely, they will wait until they're back in full production, all the broken down cars are fixed and there is substantial stock of injectors to meet demand. That's months away.

A global recall for something like this just ain't going to happen. They *might* be changed when the car goes in for service but I doubt that even that would be done as a matter of routine.

I've just obtained the following info from a contact within MB.........

Delphi are now on version 5 of their injector. The problem has been identified as a rogue spark, caused by the ECU on startup, damaging the piezo stack. The new injectors, along with a software upgrade appear to be working on the German taxis currently under test.
Current supplies from Delphi are currently limited to around 1,000 new units per week but the plan is to get impounded cars back on the road first. Don't know when the factories started building engines with the new injectors but it appears there may well be a recall around the middle of next year for cars already on the road but showing no problems.

Any recall is likely to be second or third quarter of 2010

Not true in my view.

The whole issue is caused by poor product management and lax product test procedures.

Not true in my view.

The whole issue is caused by poor product management and lax product test procedures.

They tested the cars pre production (e220cdi and e250cdi) as german taxis. They were an*l enough to work out the seats needed more padding after lots and lots (million miles worth of testing or something). I dont see how they missed the injector problem.

Its so easily fixed, just buy a V6 diesel. Such a good engine, cannot believe how good until you try one.

They tested the cars pre production (e220cdi and e250cdi) as german taxis. They were an*l enough to work out the seats needed more padding after lots and lots (million miles worth of testing or something). I dont see how they missed the injector problem.

Its so easily fixed, just buy a V6 diesel. Such a good engine, cannot believe how good until you try one.

Ha ! Ha! not such a good suggestion for those of us who have just bought c250s or 220s.
But I have to say I am very happy with the 250 cdi engine. There are all sorts of ways to drive the car ie C auto only, sport auto. manual with or without Sport, and for good measure in auto moving the gear stick. If you give it a go it's really really quick and can get to highly illegal speeds( in England but not here on the German autobahn) in a few seconds. At 160 kph in Sport it's on a hairtrigger throttle (exactly 3000rpm) and simply leaps forward with a brush of the throttle. Even fast journeys can return around 38/39 mpg and that's in a car that's only done 2500 km. Around town it's quiet and economical but always able to pick up speed so quickly. All in all a great achievement so let's hope they sort out the teething troubles as they really have developed an amazing engine.

My C250 has been in for the P143 service. Service Manager told me what I already knew, but told me without prompting. Not sure if I'm pleased with the honesty or concerned with the complacency.

Service Manager said the P143 is only a short term remedy, best that MB could come up with on cars yet to fail until they can replace the injectors, which is likely to be the new year (I would've been highly surprised if was going to be 2009!!). In all, the update took about 45 minutes. Can't tell any difference in the way the car drives, sounds, or feels, so the change is pretty invisible to the consumer.

Further advised that they will replace the injectors on the car once. If it happens again they keep the car (not sure if that means I get to drive a Smart Car, or they do a swap, or they keep it until they can fix it once and for all).

Fingers crossed eh? Should I be "crossing my fingers" driving around in a 35k car ?!?!?

is anyone actually getting their cars back yet ? thats 7 weeks yesterday mine has been off the road.

Lucky you, I've got an Astra to enjoy while my brand new E-class is still trying to get authorisation from Mercedes to have the injector(s) replaced.

Lucky you, I've got an Astra to enjoy while my brand new E-class is still trying to get authorisation from Mercedes to have the injector(s) replaced.

Can't quite believe that...you should state quite firmly that their options are either:

a) like for like replacement until the software and injectors are fitted
or
b) you exercise your right to reject the car under the SOGA - as it can't get you fulfill the basic requirement to get you from a->b and they can't fix it......

Why would you/should you settle for an Astra?

I agree.....very surprised at the Astra!?

When my 250 broke down a second time I asked enterprise if they could get me a 5 series BMW for dealer embarrassment when I went to collect my car and drop the rental off with them but they said it would be impossible and probably jeopardise their relationship with Mercedes!
He said they are very adamant at supplying a Mercedes of similar model.
Surely enterprise cant have run out of loan Mercedes??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom