• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

2003/4/5 Mondeos 2.0/2.2 TDCi run Delphi ECU's and Delphi Injectors and they have a known injector "issue". You'd have thought MB would make sure it didn't happen to themselves.......

Got an email from customer services saying blah blah blah, hig standards, blah blah, working on a solution, blah blah, basically saying nuthin, apart from there will be no compensastion offered. Also got a call from the service manager at the dealer, saying, nothing happening, no news, no idea when it will be fixed, also the email from customer services said that the email was the "final" communication from them, gonna explore with the contract hire company the possibilty of rejecting the vehicle.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but you have no contract with Merc so chatting with them via Email is all a bit moot and I see no reason why they would compensate you (rather than the owner of the car).

Your recourse is via the hire company as they are in breach of contract (i.e. you haven't got the car you are paying for and nobody is communicating a plan or a target date for when you will...).

The hire company will happily let this tootle along as their car is not depreciating by racking up miles, not getting nearer to needing a service or consuming brakes/tyres etc so they are increasing the likelihood of making more profit on the contract the longer the car sits still.

I guess they will need a little push.....at the very least you should be in an equivalent or better car.

the injectors were produced by delphi on all new diesel engines. Delphi went into administration so to cut costs scrapped there quality check measures unknown to mercedes. there are going on cars as little as a 100m after pdi's. the voltage is too high for the injectors and is causing the piezo crystal inside them to break up under pressure. there is a recall for the engine to lower the voltage but this has limited or no effect. mercedes are working on it at the minute. if a car fails there a measures to replace all four injectors. normally only one will fail but they run in banks so two will go down. u shouldnt be put off its just teething issues from mercedes trying to sort out someone else's problem.

Sorry to sound a bit harsh but you have no contract with Merc so chatting with them via Email is all a bit moot and I see no reason why they would compensate you (rather than the owner of the car).

What you wrote is completely true but how totally ridiculous that MB should treat a "user-chooser" company car driver, who is potentially going to taking a new car very 2-3 years, and will be regaling colleagues with his experience, like that.

It's so absurd that I find it hard to believe that someone at MB hasn't messed up here big time.

MB have a Corporate department for dealing with company car drivers. You can access them directly, but have to be "introduced" first by either your fleet manager or the leasing company. They offer a wholly different level of service than is given to private customers.

2003/4/5 Mondeos 2.0/2.2 TDCi run Delphi ECU's and Delphi Injectors and they have a known injector "issue". You'd have thought MB would make sure it didn't happen to themselves.......

Too true,a friend of mine has a 2003 Mondeo 2.0 Tdi and he's got through 2 injectors in the past 12 months. Did Ford acknowledge a problem with injectors, if so he may have a claim?

Too true,a friend of mine has a 2003 Mondeo 2.0 Tdi and he's got through 2 injectors in the past 12 months. Did Ford acknowledge a problem with injectors, if so he may have a claim?

I Part-Ex'd a 54 plate ST TDCi for my current C250. I owned the ST from new, and had 4 injectors replaced within the 1st 18 months of ownership. They needed replacing immediately after having the car serviced, as plumes of white smoke piled out of the exhaust when on idle. Whatever Ford were doing at service, (updating the ECU) was causing he problem. One engineer went as far to suggest that I put superglue into the ODB port to stop Ford from updating the software :D

What you wrote is completely true but how totally ridiculous that MB should treat a "user-chooser" company car driver, who is potentially going to taking a new car very 2-3 years, and will be regaling colleagues with his experience, like that.

It's so absurd that I find it hard to believe that someone at MB hasn't messed up here big time.

MB have a Corporate department for dealing with company car drivers. You can access them directly, but have to be "introduced" first by either your fleet manager or the leasing company. They offer a wholly different level of service than is given to private customers.

Yes. He received the standard Email designed to put off most claimants - their use of the word "final" etc sounds like the end so many would leave it at that.

I had a similar one to begin with for my faulty 7G gearbox. Persisted and had it inspected and then swapped...

My point was he needed the owner (hire co) in the loop as its their vehicle and ultimately up to them to manage his problems.

I just got off the phone from a merc service manager, who claims to have fixed my issues with the 350 (see post "just driven 350 coupe")

Anyway, we got talking about the 250, he says mark 5 injectors are on their way on tuesday, and that Delphi, and I quote, "had changed the glue used in manufacture from that used on the pre production prototypes" and that had caused the problem. :doh:

Just called my MB dealer, to enquire about the injectors and see what their take on it was. "Oh, there's a a couple of recalls for your car Mr Jenkins". I've only had it 7 weeks !!!
Anyway - booked in on Monday for some ECU changes (something to do with fuel, will enquire more on Monday and advise unless anyone already knows what this is about). They will also confirm if my injectors are likely to fail and see if head office will approve the repair before the failure. I can understand them not wanting to repair something that is not broken, but from a customer service / safety point of view they really have little choice.

Will update on Monday.

I would agree, except that you only have one side of the story...

I'm an MB Corporate user through a lease company. I have no right to go to MB as that should all be through the lease company / lease management - the same applies to dealers (if the lease company is paying for the servcing, etc). Perhaps the response from MB is a little hard, but 1) is this from corporate, and 2) it's probably the first step in the response process on this issue.

I have found MB corporate to be very good - I received money back direct from them on my previous car when COMAND did not have TMC as advertised in their UK brochure. But in order to do so, I had to go through the lease company who have the contract with MB. Imagine hiring a car from Hertz and then contacting the OEM with issues - it's the same situation contractually.

You should ask the lease company to tell you what their policy is on rejecting a vehicle - it will be laid out in the contract but may well be different to the policy applied to a general direct client.

As an aside, do not assume that the lease company has to put you in a replacement vehicle - it depend on the contract. For example, we do not get equivalent replacement vehicles from the lease company. Rather the company pays to hire a Group B/C from Hertz as it's cheaper across the fleet than the replacement option on the lease contract. We're also not allowed to have courtesy cars (like we have done in the past) - the company insurance only covers vehicles directly hired by the company.

Imagine hiring a car from Hertz and then contacting the OEM with issues - it's the same situation contractually.

Again true contractually but imagine someone hiring a Mercedes and having some issue with the car, and then, for whatever misguided reason, they speak to MB UK about it and get told to sod off. Marvellous (not) and a marketing disaster.

I suppose we have to be aware that not all Blue Eff. engines will be affected so let's hope you're OK. Considering the fact that we know MB will eventually sort this out I'd love to hear what you think of the car once you get it.

Well picked the car up yesterday and so far so good. Travelled 200 miles back home to London, unfortunately that's when the only trouble I had began, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the car.

The bloody Blackwall tunnel was shut and it took me 3 hours to travel just 900 yards! I have Distronic plus fitted and it was BRILLIANT stop/start every few yards what a pain but this gadget helped keep me calm. Thanks for a great piece of kit. Will update on engine and stuff once I've had it a bit longer, but so far it's been fine.

Got my c220 back this afternoon with a replacement injector kit fitted - service manager has kept me updated all along and delivered on his assurances. Very happy with the outcome.

You lucky bar stool. I hope this means things are beginning to move in the UK.

Of interest, how long was your car off the road before it was fixed?

just seen a branf new 59 plate e220cdi on the back of a low loader on its way to MB of Chichester. I bet anything it is an injector problem

I bought my 350 from there on thurs, Iasked the dealer about 220 probs, he denied that he had ever had any problems !!

Great, our 59 Mercedes E220CDI had the lovely limp mode yesterday and got taken to the MB dealership. They should compensate by exchanging it with an extra two cylinders ;).

We got a luxurious Vauxhall Astra too as the rent car company didn't have any Mercedes left. They did say they're looking though :wallbash:.

I wonder if Mercedes will go back home - Bosch.

I am an owner of a C250 CDI (bought October 2009) which fortunately has NOT broken down yet.

Received an official letter ("Service Measure No P143") from MBUK today informing me of the software/injector issue and inviting me to call my dealer to get it fixed. :thumb:

I am quite impressed with how proactively MB is handling this. They are certaintly not trying to "duck" the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom