• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Blue Efficiency injector recall?

I was wondering whether I should ask for some kind of guarantee what do you think I should ask for?

The car has a guarantee already.

The fact that you're travelling 150 miles doesn't make any difference - even if the dealership was a mile away sales and service have absolutely nothing to do with each other, once you take a car the salesman will probably refuse to speak to if you have a problem and refer you to service.

As I said earlier I am due to collect my E 250 this coming week. I am now wondering exactly what to do when I go to collect the car. The dealer is more than 150 miles from where I live so I can't just pop in there to see them. I have been in constant touch concerning the delays and to be honest they haven't informed me about this issue, I guess they are concerned that perhaps I might cancel the order. The car does have some extras fitted which I ordered back in September and I paid a £500 deposit however I was wondering whether I should ask for some kind of guarantee what do you think I should ask for?
Possibly a 350cdi as they are not affected. :)

It is clearly a serious issue whether to accept a four pot now or wait till this problem is sorted.

Possibly a 350cdi as they are not affected. :)

It is clearly a serious issue whether to accept a four pot now or wait till this problem is sorted.

The car I have ordered (and seems now to have been delivered) has extras such as DAB Radio, Memory seats, through seats etc. I doubt that they will have a 350 with the items I want installed. The extra cost of insurance road tax and fuel costs don't look as appealing against the 250, but then again it doesn't have a dodgy engine. I just wonder whether I can refuse the car, and if so would I lose my deposit. The dealer has already "assured" me in writing that the car has been fitted with the latest replacement injectors but I am still very concerned about the possibility of failure, despite the assurances. I currently have a 4 year old Honda owned from new and it has been absolutely 100% perfect, apart from replacing the wiper blades :D ! Somewhat naively I expected the same quality from what many would consider a top marque company..... to date I am very disillusioned not only with this issue but the sloppy way the dealer has kept me (un)informed on the matter.

fuel injector problems c220 cdi sport

Hi people..... just signed up to this site as i have had problems with my c220 cdi sport blue effiency that was bought from new on sept 1st 09

Apologies if im repeating anything previously posted but ive noticed there seems to be alot of anxious people on here regarding these types of cars who have either got one or ordered one. Im no master of engineering but i can let you know what ive been told first hand buy my merc dealer who sold me the car.

My cars fuel injector(s) has broken 3 times in the last month ..the first 2 times it was 'fixed' and tested by main dealer under warranty and was told everything was ok...the 3rd time this saturday, I thought enough was enough and called the dealer to reject the car. the director there then admited the extent of the problem and said that 3 cdi blue efficiency's had already been taken in the sevice dept. that morning. They have no way of knowing if the injectors are faulty or there is a design fault within the engine that is acually causing the injectors to fail.

theyve now put on hold any new diesel blue efficiency deliverys until it it sorted out.

Ive called Mercedes customer service to reject the car as well this morning , a senior director is now looking into the case. i have asked for a deal on either a new (non c class or non affected ) car, or a full refund.

ill let you know how the outcome asap and welcome any posts from people with the same problem.....

Hi people..... just signed up to this site as i have had problems with my c220 cdi sport blue effiency that was bought from new on sept 1st 09

Apologies if im repeating anything previously posted but ive noticed there seems to be alot of anxious people on here regarding these types of cars who have either got one or ordered one. Im no master of engineering but i can let you know what ive been told first hand buy my merc dealer who sold me the car.

My cars fuel injector(s) has broken 3 times in the last month ..the first 2 times it was 'fixed' and tested by main dealer under warranty and was told everything was ok...the 3rd time this saturday, I thought enough was enough and called the dealer to reject the car. the director there then admited the extent of the problem and said that 3 cdi blue efficiency's had already been taken in the sevice dept. that morning. They have no way of knowing if the injectors are faulty or there is a design fault within the engine that is acually causing the injectors to fail.

theyve now put on hold any new diesel blue efficiency deliverys until it it sorted out.

Ive called Mercedes customer service to reject the car as well this morning , a senior director is now looking into the case. i have asked for a deal on either a new (non c class or non affected ) car, or a full refund.

ill let you know how the outcome asap and welcome any posts from people with the same problem.....

That's terrible - hope you stick at it with the rejection of the car as they haven't a leg to stand on!
Can I trouble you to put where you are based ,the dates mileage etc, on "the diesel injector - owners and cars" thread as we're trying to build up a picture. Also a brief description of the actual incidents would be helpful as all those currently unaffected want to know what to expect!

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
I put a deposit on a new E220CDI on 4th Dec, totally unaware of this problem. It is due to be delivered to me this month. As of Friday the car was at the factory with a build date of 2nd Dec.
After reading about this issue, I called the dealer who sold me the car this morning. He said there had been a problem, but now as part of the PDI, if they find affected injectors on the (older) cars they replace them there and then, but as my car has only just been built then it wouldn't have the problem anyway and I shoudn't worry. As far as he was concerned they're happily selling cars and there are no delays.
Reading this thread I feel I might have been fobbed off. I don't know what to do now. I don't really want a 350CDI as it's more expensive to buy/run/tax which was the appeal of this Blueefficiency engine in the first place...

Hi everyone.
I put a deposit on a new E220CDI on 4th Dec, totally unaware of this problem. It is due to be delivered to me this month. As of Friday the car was at the factory with a build date of 2nd Dec.
After reading about this issue, I called the dealer who sold me the car this morning. He said there had been a problem, but now as part of the PDI, if they find affected injectors on the (older) cars they replace them there and then, but as my car has only just been built then it wouldn't have the problem anyway and I shoudn't worry. As far as he was concerned they're happily selling cars and there are no delays.
Reading this thread I feel I might have been fobbed off. I don't know what to do now. I don't really want a 350CDI as it's more expensive to buy/run/tax which was the appeal of this Blueefficiency engine in the first place...

You may well have been fobbed off, technically, but my view is that not all cars are failing and the injectors you will have fitted would be the same as ones being fitted to problem cars that breakdown now.
I totally agree with your concern, that's why I've put off my delivery until next March. New reg and hopefully problem sorted. My local dealer also denies all knowledge of an issue with injectors. I KNOW FOR A FACT that they have 9 cars impounded currently!

Hi everyone.

Totally agree with Merc owner that it doesn't appear to be the case that there was one faulty batch of injectors and that any new replacements are immune from defects

hot off the press !!!!

ok after rejecting my c 220 cdi bl-eff this morn (details a few posts back)

mecedes have come back to me already...and to be fair hats off to them for such a speedy response......

they have said there are a few options although i must add that figures have not been discussed at this point....

1.they reckon (!) there is a fix in the pipeline and i can wait for it to be fixed and will be compensated (?)... ive said no to this ....

2. they buy the car back off me (as i said dont know if its what i paid for it yet or....????)

3. they offer me the 350 cdi (difference to be agreed i suppose) which apparently has no probs ... only prob is there are NO 350 's which match my spec in the country... and mine hasnt got rocket launchers on the side for your guide, just regular extras ..command etc.... plus if i would have wanted a 350 i would of bought it in the first place..

but the most important thing i think for all you guys waiting for your cars is that that have catergorically said they WILL NOT replace my 220 cdi with ANOTHER 220 cdi... theyve stopped releasing both the C class saloon and estate and E class saloon from the production line untill its sorted ....makes me think this really is a massive problem .....

again ill let you know what transpires...

good luck...

For the moment I'm going to sit tight and see what happens. I can't imagine they'd knowingly sell me a car with a serious problem. would they?
It seems there are two stories out there: 1) There was a problem in early cars and it's now fixed and everything's fine, 2) There's still a massive problem and production has been halted and no new cars are being delivered. Perhaps the reality is somewhere in between.

Meanwhile, What Car took delivery of their new E220 CDI at the weekend. No mention there of any problems :dk:
Our cars: E-Class joins the fleet - Car and Car-Buying News - What Car?

does anyone know what the procedure is to reject the vehicle ?

Leaving aside the legal position( and in your case I happen to think that you are entitled to reject the car as you have been without it for ages)
it is simply a case of advising them that that's what you are going to do
delivering it back to the forecourt and handing them the keys. That is a of course if you paid cash. If they fail to acknowledge the return of the car and give you back the money then you sue them.

However it would of course be better to agree the course of action with them unless they claim you do not have the right to reject it in which case you would beg to differ. The car lets face it is off the road and going nowhere so you say and you do not have to accept a loan car indefinitely.

the other choice of course is to accept another car but as you will see on here it is not easy if you don't want a bigger car or at an rate a bigger (or much smaller) engine

thanks for that, i should have mentioned that its a company car on a 2 yr contract hire, i guess that complicates things

thanks for that, i should have mentioned that its a company car on a 2 yr contract hire, i guess that complicates things

Does the contract price vary with mileage? In which case you'll be putting miles on their car and saving money! Seriously though, you should be driving the car you chose.

Who is the contract with - is it MB Finance, or some other leasing company?

What size of company are you working for?

Legally it's the leasing companies car and they are the supplier of the contract to you so (I think) you'd have to say they were in breach of contract. It's not as easy to solve these things for business as the laws are mainly designed around protecting private consumers.

We had trouble with Peugeot's HPi petrol engine (which they quickly dropped) a few years ago. I persisted with mine and only found out at the end of the contract that Peugeot had bought others back early off the leasing company we used.

Yes it does in respect of taking the car back yourself as (as noted above) the car belongs to the leasing company. However you are at present paying the monthly contract hire and you can't drive the car you are paying for! I suppose it depends on how long this goes on but certainly if I was your MD I would be raising the issue with the finance company and suggesting that they reject the car themselves as otherwise thye will be in breach of contract

I've just obtained the following info from a contact within MB.........

Delphi are now on version 5 of their injector. The problem has been identified as a rogue spark, caused by the ECU on startup, damaging the piezo stack. The new injectors, along with a software upgrade appear to be working on the German taxis currently under test.
Current supplies from Delphi are currently limited to around 1,000 new units per week but the plan is to get impounded cars back on the road first. Don't know when the factories started building engines with the new injectors but it appears there may well be a recall around the middle of next year for cars already on the road but showing no problems.

I've just obtained the following info from a contact within MB.........

Delphi are now on version 5 of their injector. The problem has been identified as a rogue spark, caused by the ECU on startup, damaging the piezo stack. The new injectors, along with a software upgrade appear to be working on the German taxis currently under test.
Current supplies from Delphi are currently limited to around 1,000 new units per week but the plan is to get impounded cars back on the road first. Don't know when the factories started building engines with the new injectors but it appears there may well be a recall around the middle of next year for cars already on the road but showing no problems.

Just spoken with my dealership and they have just told me exactly the same regarding version 5 injectors, those fitted to mine which I will collect tomorrow are v4. The v5's are not expected to be available until a few weeks and are likly to be fitted to the German market first as they are likely to be in short supply. I'm hoping that the ones fitted in my model don't become faulty but if they do I believe they will be replaced with the latest version if and when avavilable. Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom