buyer wants to pay cash (in notes) for car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
its a 24 hour asda - i have rang them and they say its ok to check the notes.

if he doesnt want to go to asda then alarm bells ring in my head. anyone with good cash wouldnt mind a check over.

splang said:
As a side thought - if it is a dodgy deal - be careful if he isnt on his own. He might try to pressure you into taking the unchecked notes....

I just been out to check we are all locked up and to let the dogs out. And it is pitch black down here in the lakes.

Who in there right mind would go to see a car for the first time in the dark?

i may offer to pay for his hotel room for tonight so we can do the deal tommorow morning

SilverSaloon said:
its a 24 hour asda - i have rang them and they say its ok to check the notes.

if he doesnt want to go to asda then alarm bells ring in my head. anyone with good cash wouldnt mind a check over.

Agreed - if he's as genuine and an enthusiast as he makes out, then having come so far, this should not be an issue for him.

If he won't have them checked out, then you know what to do !!

S.

When I was in the raf we where all made aware of SPATIAL DISORIENTATION confusion that kills. Don’t suffer from it now.

10:20 PM ...
Wasn't he meant to arrive at 10:00?

I must admit, I'm refreshing this page every 30seconds too see if anything new appears!

Michele

Spinal said:
10:20 PM ...
Wasn't he meant to arrive at 10:00?

I must admit, I'm refreshing this page every 30seconds too see if anything new appears!

Michele

lol. just spoken to him, he is about 30 mins away.

Don't do it, it smells fishy !!

Would hate to see anything happen to you or your car .......

tell him to come back tomorrow, the offer of sorting him out with a hotel room is a good one, a travel lodge is gonna cost you £50.

If someone wanted to buy a car they had never seen before, in the dark, with £16 grand in cash at 10 o'clock at night, this would set alarm bells ringing to say the least, i would be thinking 'drug money'.

Be very careful......

H

Fingers crossed here...

Do you have some friends over?
[EDIT] Some *big* friends
Michele

Last edited:
I was thinking drug money

I am only a few miles away in Dunfermline - can pop round if you need moral support ?

Let us know what happens ? Personally I would get him to stay in a hotel and do the deal tomorrow

zooman said:
I was thinking drug money

Exactly, no one in the real world has that sort of cash knocking around in the house unless they sell a lot of things that are only paid for in cash..... :rolleyes:

Now i'm not suggesting that some of us couldn't get hold of it with a few days/week's notice, but to rock up late at night with 16 grand..... Hmmmm..

Especially the sort of car you are selling, a Merc cabrio with nice big wheels and lots of goodies..... its the sort of car any discerning drug lord would like to be seen in ! ;)

Did he speak with a Spanish accent, and answer to the name Mr Escobar ?

Howard said:
Especially the sort of car you are selling, a Merc cabrio with nice big wheels and lots of goodies..... its the sort of car any discerning drug lord would like to be seen in ! ;)

Naaah, a Hummer would be prefferred, more boot space to get rid of... witnesses :cool:

I was thinking, my HSBS doesn't have teller on saturday's sunday or bank holidays. What is the max to take out of an ATM machine? Because otherwise it would mean he's had the money since... friday...

Last edited:
What if the car he is going to leave outside your house is a stolen car or a hire car hired in a fake name ......

I don't think he would be in any rush to come back for it ......

you would have handed over your docs. he would have given you 16k in dodgy notes or worse still locked you in the cupboard under the stairs, and your car is gone.....

wait till the morning, then there is more chance of a good outcome if he is dodgy.....

Just thought of something else... is it totally wise to advertise you're gonna have £16K in your house overnight? I realise you don't have your address here, but how hard can it be? Can I recommend you separate the money and ask your friends to keep some for you?

I'm absolutely intrigued by this thread. I can hardly wait for the outcome.

And what an untrusting bunch you all are but I can see exactly why. But if the notes are genuine do you really want to pry as to where they came from ?

I paid cash for my car after a 200 odd mile drive but it was 2 in the afternoon and not a bank holiday. Oh and the guy kept it for a week in case I wasn't satisfied and wanted my money back.

Spinal said:
Just thought of something else... is it totally wise to advertise you're gonna have £16K in your house overnight? I realise you don't have your address here, but how hard can it be? Can I recommend you separate the money and ask your friends to keep some for you?

See post number 20 mate ;)

kikkthecat said:
I'm absolutely intrigued by this thread. I can hardly wait for the outcome.

And what an untrusting bunch you all are but I can see exactly why. But if the notes are genuine do you really want to pry as to where they came from ?

I paid cash for my car after a 200 odd mile drive but it was 2 in the afternoon and not a bank holiday. Oh and the guy kept it for a week in case I wasn't satisfied and wanted my money back.

Theres just too many variables not in his favour Ray !

Bank Holiday
Late at night
Cash ..... from who knows where
Unknown number of people turning up
Car to be left..... wheres it from ....
No real way of checking cash
Large sum in house overnight
etc etc etc

Confucious he say 'cautious man sell car in daytime, he keep money, live to see another day......'

H

By now the buyer must have arrived.Time 10:53PM......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom