Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Scirocco convertible MK1 in met green last night.

We have a camp site near us 1660404890019.png very popular with VW crowd, usually the campers but this week end its Scirocco`s & i`d never seen a convertible mk1. Possibly Crayford??? Or Vdubs own?

Scirocco convertible MK1 in met green last night.

We have a camp site near us View attachment 130911 very popular with VW crowd, usually the campers but this week end its Scirocco`s & i`d never seen a convertible mk1. Possibly Crayford??? Or Vdubs own?
Great spot and a lovely looking car. I wonder what it’s like with the roof up though.

Close, but no cigar!
Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire! c.903 made - lower bonnet line, suicide doors and external hinges removed, 4 litre producing 165 bhp. Produced 1958 - 60. At £2646, just one down from a Bentley S1.

Bugger - the expensive one! I very nearly bought a 346 from a chap going back to the UK. He wanted €8k but it wasn't worth that, needing some bodywork, interior and at least one oil leak. I offered €5k but he refused. I was told he later sold it to a French chap for €5k. The car appears occasionally at the monthly Bergerac Classic Car Show but he hasn't done the manky bodywork, interior nor the oil leaks. C'est la vie.

I dream of a Star Sapphire but they're too rare and expensive now.

Talbot Alpine in cream & rust ...yuk. but at least some one is keeping it going

A rare, interesting, and well-used motor car with a very long name...

View attachment 130902

Outside M&S Galashiels.
Notable for its SPHINX bonnet emblem signifying "silence"
Armstrong_Siddeley_motif_-_Flickr_-_exfordy_%281%29.jpg

like Rolls Royce they also made jet engines.
600px-ASSapphire.JPG

Last edited:
Didn't get a piccy unfortunately but the son in law of one of my folks neighbours has a rather lovely Austin 7 Ulster (an original one, not a replica). Looks a bit like this (this one is a replica though)

1660667727838.png

He's only in his 30's but i can see the attraction of having something like the Ulster over say some modern hot hatch thing. The piccy above makes it look bigger than it is actually.

Notable for its SPHINX bonnet emblem signifying "silence"
Armstrong_Siddeley_motif_-_Flickr_-_exfordy_%281%29.jpg
As in "no matter how many times I turn this starting handle, it still won't fire?"

Here's a comparo to the Bentley

How the other half lived: Bentley MkVI vs Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 346 | Classic & Sports Car

My memory of it is as a company owner's car, or the sort of thing that that surgeon played by James Robertson-Justice in "Doctor in the House" would have driven. The sort of chap who earns his own living but wants something different to a jaguar MkVIII

52C31504-3A08-46FD-9E34-5DE09EB256D6.png

Last edited:
I’ve this and similar floating about on Facebook recently.
Same here. I quite like it apart from the wheels. Minilights might look better. My dad had an 1800 - i think they used a detuned MG engine? My Dad's replaced his Radford Mini Cooper S with a Works spec engine when i came along. Im not sure he's totally forgiven me to be honest!

Is that an Andy Saunders creation?
No idea, sorry. I do however know that the current owner is having issues with getting the hydraulic suspension to work properly, the car now weighing rather more than it originally did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom