Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
TR7 convertible in Kensington today.
When I was working in S Italy, the owner of the hotel I was staying at was an ex professional rally driver who had competed all over Europe, with Opel from memory. He was obviously quite good as he had a huge wall full of trophies, literally hundreds of them. He had an old TR7 convertible and said it was the best car he had driven! I still don’t understand it!

Well I look one in bits (a re-hab stalled) if I go into my back storage shed where failed projects go to fester & maybe die by crusher!!
Its called recycling in these modern times .

So the vehicle in question is a 1947 Riley,. and in its heyday it scudded about in Boston Mass according to parts/receipts I found during tear down for re-hab.
Probably looked like this at one time :-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not that we do too many rehab's but with business slow during the 2007 recession, I reluctantly agreed with green money bearing Benjamin Franklin's fizog on it. (silver crossed my palm)
With the proviso in writing (a contract) , that when the cash deposit ran it out was time for a new advance !
So with $15,000 it was of to the races with a estimated project of $30,000 to $40,000 to bring it to Concourse d' Elegance condition.
Down to the chassis, the body was removed after being mounted in a customer storage repair buck to revent distortion of a rusted coachwork sub carcass.

The chassis was total reworked and stove enamelled with Brazilian hardwood body sole bars instead the worm eaten ash that was there before .
So with the body now having been blasted with foundry slag media for patchwork welding, yours truly here held out his hand for more "Benjies or Jacksons or even a huge pile o Washingtons " for the next advance.
Customer came by and looked, surveyed, promising another 5000 in "green money"!
After 30 days no cheque ,so I phone call his oil /gas brokerage business, receptionist says he's not available! Struth!!
Given another 28 days its a registered letter to his house no response!
About 6 months no contact so on spec I actully go to his house and banged on the door of the mansion in upscale Cherry Creek . His missus answers the door but knows NOTHING, . And doesn't knows anything about a Mrs Riley!! :eek:Conclusion ! Woman is off her trolley. :eek:
So the project moves to the back of the storage building, and gathers dust to this very day ,12 years has now passed!
Then at Christmas past his old partner walses into the shop ,& my question "WTF is Martino" ???
Oh he died suddenly in the toilet at work and his corporation was sold ! Didn't anyone tell you?
NO!

So what to do with a stalled project ?

Do I fettle it at great cost , better still advertize for a collector/rehaber to use for a project, or rework it into a modern day version of a Morgan style runabout ? Maybe V8 engine, auto transmission or simply plonk a Mazda Miata running gear under it & be done . Hell's Fire!:eek:
Tuercas Viejas

I love bikes like that but they sadly don’t cut it round my way in the drizzle and gloom.

I reckon I could just get away with it in Greece.......
You want Rat Rods ?
Here's Rods !
TV

Well I look one in bits (a re-hab stalled) if I go into my back storage shed where failed projects go to fester & maybe die by crusher!!
Its called recycling in these modern times.

So the vehicle in question is a 1947 Riley,. and in its heyday it scudded about in Boston Mass according to parts/receipts I found during tear down for re-hab.
Probably looked like this at one time :-

Not that we do too many rehab's but with business slow during the 2007 recession, I reluctantly agreed with green money bearing Benjamin Franklin's fizog on it. (silver crossed my palm)
With the proviso in writing (a contract) , that when the cash deposit ran it out was time for a new advance !
So with $15,000 it was of to the races with a estimated project of $30,000 to $40,000 to bring it to Concourse d' Elegance condition.
Down to the chassis, the body was removed after being mounted in a customer storage repair buck to revent distortion of a rusted coachwork sub carcass.

The chassis was total reworked and stove enamelled with Brazilian hardwood body sole bars instead the worm eaten ash that was there before .
So with the body now having been blasted with foundry slag media for patchwork welding, yours truly here held out his hand for more "Benjies or Jacksons or even a huge pile o Washingtons " for the next advance.
Customer came by and looked, surveyed, promising another 5000 in "green money"!
After 30 days no cheque ,so I phone call his oil /gas brokerage business, receptionist says he's not available! Struth!!
Given another 28 days its a registered letter to his house no response!
About 6 months no contact so on spec I actully go to his house and banged on the door of the mansion in upscale Cherry Creek . His missus answers the door but knows NOTHING, . And doesn't knows anything about a Mrs Riley!! :eek:Conclusion ! Woman is off her trolley. :eek:
So the project moves to the back of the storage building, and gathers dust to this very day ,12 years has now passed!
Then at Christmas past his old partner walses into the shop ,& my question "WTF is Martino" ???
Oh he died suddenly in the toilet at work and his corporation was sold ! Didn't anyone tell you?
NO!
Tuercas Viejas

That looks like the same model that is next door but one.
Definitely going to be a project for someone! :)

Attachments

• 0DAD3DB3-96DC-4187-8734-E58D86242A99.jpeg
    0DAD3DB3-96DC-4187-8734-E58D86242A99.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 12
My dad took this on last year(he's 76)

Attachments

• IMG-20210224-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210224-WA0000.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 13
What a fabulous car, I had no idea BMW made luxury cars in that era.
Same here.

I saw when I came out of the station this morning. There was somebody in the drivers seat so I didn’t want to hover about looking like a knob so I had a sly glance at the back end which just had the BMW rounded and a large V with an 8 sitting inside it.
AskMid and the DVLA don’t state the model so a quick Google and hey presto!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom