Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't know about the £200 a month Merc but MB want £6000 deposit plus £369 a month for a c220 AMG which works out at about £20,000 over three years with a final purchase value of £13500. I wonder how many people think that's a good deal.:eek:

A lot of people ! Eighty or ninety percent of sales are on PCP ! A lot of money to basically rent a car.
Buy a prestigious car on PCP, a Gucci bag and a Rolex on interest free , book a spa break on your credit card and then post it on Facebook to show everyone how well you're doing. :bannana:
Oh and when you can't afford it anymore complain to the press that it was all miss sold to you by the nasty salesman:wallbash:

Can't make us do it though.

yeah well I'd wanna know the impact on the car's performance before an update.

it's bad enough I don't get 65mpg because of "lab testing" instead of real world testing that the public has been trying out for, for a very long time... i'm happy with my mpg at the moment even if it's not the advertised result but I don't want it to drop more than what i have...

I did read that, however the official Mercedes press release states about expanding the operation. Does not say to other parts of Europe only, or other engines. All the info on the web is very unclear about the matter thus far.

Don't know about the £200 a month Merc but MB want £6000 deposit plus £369 a month for a c220 AMG which works out at about £20,000 over three years with a final purchase value of £13500. I wonder how many people think that's a good deal.:eek:

What percentage of the population are gullible *****?

E220d SE with toys...7500 deposit with £269 a mnth and 15500 GFV is mine....so similar to urs...

The VW fix had another mention on BBC Watchdog tonight

Emissions Recall

Hi all.
i also have a VW that was recalled for the same reason last year. and i have spent 11 months trying to get the recall reversed, but it looks like it is a road to knowhere. problems i have suffered. increased engine noise, lower MPG, Power loss, and HIGHER EMISSIONS both CO2 and Nox.

as this is not a compulsary safety related recall, i would advise AGAINST getting it done based on the mess VW made of their recall. not sure how accurate it is but i have heard that some VW dealers have suspended the recall.

the Benz i have is not affected by this (too old) and petrol engine, just want to help those who are affected have the benefit of my bad experience.

Talked to Merc UK on re-call my 2017 E Class is in it!! I believe all Euro6 models are part of recall.

Call 00800 1 777 7777 and give car registration number to check status. Dealers doesn't have correct information yet.

Talked to Merc UK on re-call my 2017 E Class is in it!! I believe all Euro6 models are part of recall.

I thought it was only the 4 cylinder diesels, are they also including V6 euro 6 engines as well?

It looks to me that MercA has uncovered more relevant information in his Post above than the European Media as a whole! :mad:

Right back at the beginning of this thread someone posted a Bloomberg link that contained this quotation:

"The company will extend an ongoing upgrade of about 250,000 compact cars and vans to nearly every modern Mercedes diesel on the road"

So it was never going to be just the Renault sourced engines.

I had an Audi A5 2.0 TDI 59 plate cone before changing to the E250 CDI Coupe.
The Audi had the fix for the emissions applied and I used it for about 6 months before selling and I did not notice any difference at all, so I guess is varies, however I have in brief look on this thread only seen VW owners complaining about the fix!

Right back at the beginning of this thread someone posted a Bloomberg link that contained this quotation:

"The company will extend an ongoing upgrade of about 250,000 compact cars and vans to nearly every modern Mercedes diesel on the road"

So it was never going to be just the Renault sourced engines.

Sounds like a sensible risk mitigation move on their behalf, but the Renault/Dacia engines are going to be the worst affected by the looks of it since they're up to 5x over the NOx limit. I'd guess the other engines will just get their fuel:air mixture tweaked a bit since they're not the ones ringing big alarm bells.

Well, this thread has certainly been an eye opener to me... Yuk!

I had an Audi A5 2.0 TDI 59 plate cone before changing to the E250 CDI Coupe.
The Audi had the fix for the emissions applied and I used it for about 6 months before selling and I did not notice any difference at all, so I guess is varies, however I have in brief look on this thread only seen VW owners complaining about the fix!
My guess, like others have already said , on the VAG problems following the "software change" will depend on the operational state of the various engine peripherals associated with minimising emissions such as the EGR valve. These have a habit of crudding up [ you might to if asked to regulate raw exhaust gas flow back to the engine inlet :eek: ] If any new software " exercises" :fail said EGR more it may fail or throw an engine code leading to the car frequently going into limp home mode. Not all VAG engines were "software only" upgrades some actually had to have certain components changed-- I seem to remember the smaller capacity 3/4 cylinder diesels requiring new injectors- this was discussed during the VAG thread on here but I have forgotten the precise details now .

Hopefully any MB software upgrade won't throw up similar electro mechanical deficiencies :crazy: lurking in their diesel engine peripherals. IIRC the MB Exhaust gas recirculation system is a fairly complex unit involving a heat exchanger etc .:dk:

You can lease one cheaper than that on 24mths. It works out cheaper than the deprecation but only only if you do under 10k a year

Call 00800 1 777 7777 and give car registration number to check status. Dealers doesn't have correct information yet.

Just spoken to Mercedes on the above number but they couldn't confirm if my car would be included (14 plate e250) he went onto say all euro5 and euro6 cars are being looked at?
I explained my car goes for its service in two weeks and I don't want it to be done because of the issues VW had plus my car will be out of warranty at end of year. He said Mercedes position is it won't effect economy performance or relability!
I'll just have to ensure the garage doesnt auto install. He did say he doesn't think the garages will be in a position to carry out the work just yet

My guess, like others have already said , on the VAG problems following the "software change" will depend on the operational state of the various engine peripherals associated with minimising emissions such as the EGR valve. These have a habit of crudding up [ you might to if asked to regulate raw exhaust gas flow back to the engine inlet :eek: ] If any new software " exercises" :fail said EGR more it may fail or throw an engine code leading to the car frequently going into limp home mode. Not all VAG engines were "software only" upgrades some actually had to have certain components changed-- I seem to remember the smaller capacity 3/4 cylinder diesels requiring new injectors- this was discussed during the VAG thread on here but I have forgotten the precise details now .

Hopefully any MB software upgrade won't throw up similar electro mechanical deficiencies :crazy: lurking in their diesel engine peripherals. IIRC the MB Exhaust gas recirculation system is a fairly complex unit involving a heat exchanger etc .:dk:

Our Golf (2.0L TDI) was software only. The 1.6L engine needed new injectors as well. I'm not entirely sure why. Might be a change to the injector holes (geometry, size, spray pattern), but as it didn't affect ours, I didn't dig into the injector differences.

The EGR system on the Golf also uses a heat exchanger and therefore uses cooled EGR as does MB. The valves get clogged up by diesel particulate build up.

The overall problem is that making a strong performing, fuel efficient, low particulate Diesel (and gasoline) engine results in higher combustion temperature which increases engine-out NOx. Without a de-NOx catalyst, this just goes straight out of the tailpipe.

The only way to manage the engine-out NOx is to reduce combustion temperature. Recirculating some of the exhaust gas into the intake air helps to do this, but there are penalties for performance, fuel efficiency and particulates.

It's all a bit of a bugger really! :wallbash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom