• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The UK Politics & Brexit Thread

There's a damning article about HS2 on the BBC website:

But what makes it more damning in my mind is the limited perspective:

HS2 promised gleaming new trains racing between English cities at even faster speeds.

And

“Unlike Spain or France or Germany, all the main cities of England are within 200 miles of all the others, apart from Newcastle,” he says.

No reference to Scotland in the article at all. Which I thought was a bit odd. To put this in context Scotland was let down by the West Coast Main Line improvements that were promised but never delivered 20 years ago. And with HS2 the emphasis was on saving minutes in the southern half of the UK and not really taking bigger chunks of time off the links to the north of the UK which often feel as if they are very very distant from the south.

And

No reference to Scotland in the article at all. Which I thought was a bit odd. To put this in context Scotland was let down by the West Coast Main Line improvements that were promised but never delivered 20 years ago. And with HS2 the emphasis was on saving minutes in the southern half of the UK and not really taking bigger chunks of time off the links to the north of the UK which often feel as if they are very very distant from the south.
It was a repeat of the Channel Tunnel con.

A grand visionary plan that made no commercial sense at all. Sold by corrupt Engineers and politicians using absolutely laughable forecasts of traffic levels.

It would have made far more sense to regionalise and incrementally upgrade the preferred methods of travel: road, rail and plane

Was it a stroke of genius?
Someone told me at a wedding we went to a couple of years ago that certain text pagers could be blown up. However, they'd need to be set up in a certain way, ie a special micro-processer

I guess the Hezbollah lot had been sold a job lot of Pagers.

IMO, it just shows no one respects weakness. EG, Hezbollah made a feeble attempt to respond to another of its leaders being taken out
on their own turf a couple of months ago.

I bet you the guys that signed the deal on the job lot Pagers are now in hiding

We often hear talk about "China..micro-chips could be switched off.." I took that with a pinch of salt until now.

Just a quick heads-up to those that may be interested re gifts given to MP's, Misters etc.
They/mp's have 30 days to dealre a gift. It has to bee OVER 500 quid, and if not, you
don't have to declare it

Why 500, why not any gift?

Just a quick heads-up to those that may be interested re gifts given to MP's, Misters etc.
They/mp's have 30 days to dealre a gift. It has to bee OVER 500 quid, and if not, you
don't have to declare it

Why 500, why not any gift?

Similar to businesses and expensing small items of equipment that don't have be treated as capital purchases or mileage rates that don't need to be declared - or duty free allowances - or informal business earnings allowance for tax.

There's a threshold below which nobody wants the hassle of the paperwork.

Similar to businesses and expensing small items of equipment that don't have be treated as capital purchases or mileage rates that don't need to be declared - or duty free allowances - or informal business earnings allowance for tax.

There's a threshold below which nobody wants the hassle of the paperwork.

Re "business," that is fair enough as it is private money. However, MP's are public servants. Public sector workers have to declare all gifts, again we see double standards in favour of our greedy politicians. I wrongly assumed the rules had been tighter up after the 'expenses' fraud.

And

There was a documentary on BBC1 yesterday.

It was a repeat of the Channel Tunnel con.

A grand visionary plan that made no commercial sense at all. Sold by corrupt Engineers and politicians using absolutely laughable forecasts of traffic levels.

It would have made far more sense to regionalise and incrementally upgrade the preferred methods of travel: road, rail and plane
The issue with upgrading road and rail is that it takes at least 3 times longer therefore costing more and the inconvenience to passengers is huge.

The issue with upgrading road and rail is that it takes at least 3 times longer therefore costing more and the inconvenience to passengers is huge.

Plus, the benefits will be reaped by the next government.....

Plus, the benefits will be reaped by the next government.....
And the one after that.

Also (as stated before) a new railway is a lot more than just track and getting somewhere a wee bit quicker than before.

Google the ‘comedian’ John Bishop and you’ll find out.

There was a documentary on BBC1 yesterday.

I read the article... how very informative - surprise surprise, governments are bad at delivering projects on time and on budget. Who knew.........?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom