• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The Football Thread

Put on the telly this morning to see what's going on in the world. New Prime Minister, nope, Nato summit, nope, War in Ukraine, nope, Israel conflict, nope, Biden's latest gaffe, nope. It's all about England winning the Euros, ffs. Last week, hanging from a lamp post was too good for them, today they can walk on water.
We were only put out, because no one had explained the rules to us, ie, select players who could actually have basic ball skills & we never knew that you had to put the ball into that structure with a net.
Anyway, telly off & away to sit in a darkened room until tomorrow.
Good luck:mad:, didn't actually say that did I.:doh: Might as well slash my wrists now:(
Are you ok?

Put on the telly this morning to see what's going on in the world. New Prime Minister, nope, Nato summit, nope, War in Ukraine, nope, Israel conflict, nope, Biden's latest gaffe, nope. It's all about England winning the Euros, ffs. Last week, hanging from a lamp post was too good for them, today they can walk on water.
We were only put out, because no one had explained the rules to us, ie, select players who could actually have basic ball skills & we never knew that you had to put the ball into that structure with a net.
Anyway, telly off & away to sit in a darkened room until tomorrow.
Good luck:mad:, didn't actually say that did I.:doh: Might as well slash my wrists now:(
Better if you unplug your TV for a few days now

Good game this evening.

We watched it in a bar by the sea that was full of Oranges. The vibe was great and the Ouzo was flowing.
40° at 11pm was getting a bit too much to take though.

Well. Before the tournament I’d have taken a 2nd place to Spain 2-1.

Great effort by all. Most successful England manager. Give him another shot I say. 👍

Queue all the doom n gloom typical Brit mentality. 🙄
Agree, Ant. We tried, we had some luck at times, over the tournament. But just not quite good enough, tonight. But as you say, losing 2-1 to Spain in the Final, is no disgrace at all. 🙂👍

Great effort by all. Most successful England manager. Give him another shot I say. 👍
Apart from Sir Alf who actually won a tournament!

So you’d be happy with more of the same turgid negative football? A bunch of players with little or no cohesion or plan (cannot call them a team)? The persistent selection of players out of form, out of position or both?

So you’d be happy with more of the same turgid negative football? A bunch of players with little or no cohesion or plan (cannot call them a team)? The persistent selection of players out of form, out of position or both?
Yep utterly useless.

How can you call it negative football when they’ve literally made the final twice in a row? 😮

I rest my case. 🙄😤

How can you call it negative football when they’ve literally made the final twice in a row? 😮
Quite... he's done better and won more games than anyone since 66. The other response is just typical of the negative attitude Brits like to exhibit... about pretty much anything. Second in a tournament where the winners were the best team by far.....I'll take that. Just be thankful you are not supporting Italy too, like me! How he plays the team comes second to the results surely?

How can I? Simple. The vast majority of football played under Southgate has been negative and safety-first.

England had a lower xG than Croatia in the tournament and their main player is 38.

I found the first three games almost unwatchable. In one case I skipped the last 10 minutes in order to put the bins out, I was that bored. In another I volunteered to go and get some frozen prawns. Anything but watch another 30 mins of football with zero shots on target.

They did show some signs of life against Switzerland and I enjoyed the Netherlands game but, overall, I found it a tough watch. Having said that, France were equally bereft of creativity.

Oh well, the club season starts up again soon and I can't wait to get to the first few home games. QPR have a young, progressive Spanish coach and he's abandoned his predecessor's safety-first approach and got them playing with speed, width and intent. Not exactly total football but HUGELY better to watch and, also, much more successful than the relegation-bound dross we had to endure earlier in the season.

Reactions: JHS
Quite... he's done better and won more games than anyone since 66. The other response is just typical of the negative attitude Brits like to exhibit... about pretty much anything. Second in a tournament where the winners were the best team by far.....I'll take that. Just be thankful you are not supporting Italy too, like me! How he plays the team comes second to the results surely?
One could equally say that the acceptance of second place is typical of the attitude that Brits like to exhibit

Second is a good effort in a multi team event.....not so good if your sport is boxing though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom