• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The UK Politics & Brexit Thread

On the other hand, she is a woman and from an ethnic background, rising without trace through the UK Civil Service, and kept revenues static at John Lewis for four years on the trot.
Ticks all the DEI boxes and leaves no discernible trace of making any positive impact, so quite obviously a shoo-in :rolleyes:

We really are in a very bad place.

Why do I say "women?" Because men don't stay very long at all.

(If you want to go technical: median length of stay is eight months for women, three months for men)
Re women - I noted that years ago, over 40 years ago when I managed a sheltered property for a year or so.
Years afterwards I had a job that at times where I needed to go to sheltered homes and at times care homes, 98+
percent of the residents were female. However, that figure may have changed during the last 15/20 years or so as the criteria/age for shelter housing was lowered and at times, older ladies had their toy boy move in with them. All figures are anecdotal

I don't blame 'em.

Imagine, you spend your life going to work to escape being organised at home.
You go into one of these places to be surrounded by such organisers.

Mum's been in one of these places for nearly 8 years. We're up to £1,530 p.w. (not much change out of £80k p.a.). And the home owners complain they don't make much profit.
Exactly.

The good news is that most of us get bumped off before we need to be incarcerated.

Exactly.

The good news is that most of us get bumped off before we need to be incarcerated.
Mum left hospital and was put in a 'home'. Her room was a long way down a maze of corridors. She would see some one at meal times only. Clean, but dismally unfriendly in feel.

Prior to mum going where she is I did a tour of local (to her not us) establishments. Oldies crying for attention they wouldn't get as no one could hear. I had let myself in, couldn't see any attendants, so just walked around unchallenged. The places generally were w/o any warmth of humans caring.

Mum is in an ok place, not perfect but you gotta accept rules of others in a communal place.
Having keycode entry, and exit, to prevent prisoners escaping isn't good. Although I accept for some it is necessary.
The food has reduced in it's desirability over her tenure.
There used to be a couple of cats in the place, one of mums few pleasure. With excuses they're now not around.
Even in there I can hear other oldies wanting more attention than they get, but at least it will come.

Every time there is a covid or flu or summat case the place is locked down. Tbh most lockdowns are after the illness has got in there, horse has bolted. But that's procedure I'm told. Rather than drive 2 hours for nowt I now ring to see if I / we are allowed in.

So, at an age where a clip board warrior might asses me / us for our capability to self manage our lives I intend to remain below such school leavers, 6 week trained, authorised beyond capability, persons.
I would prefer to sit on a nice beach and let Neptune decide.

Mum left hospital and was put in a 'home'. Her room was a long way down a maze of corridors. She would see some one at meal times only. Clean, but dismally unfriendly in feel.

Prior to mum going where she is I did a tour of local (to her not us) establishments. Oldies crying for attention they wouldn't get as no one could hear. I had let myself in, couldn't see any attendants, so just walked around unchallenged. The places generally were w/o any warmth of humans caring.

Mum is in an ok place, not perfect but you gotta accept rules of others in a communal place.
Having keycode entry, and exit, to prevent prisoners escaping isn't good. Although I accept for some it is necessary.
The food has reduced in it's desirability over her tenure.
There used to be a couple of cats in the place, one of mums few pleasure. With excuses they're now not around.
Even in there I can hear other oldies wanting more attention than they get, but at least it will come.

Every time there is a covid or flu or summat case the place is locked down. Tbh most lockdowns are after the illness has got in there, horse has bolted. But that's procedure I'm told. Rather than drive 2 hours for nowt I now ring to see if I / we are allowed in.

So, at an age where a clip board warrior might asses me / us for our capability to self manage our lives I intend to remain below such school leavers, 6 week trained, authorised beyond capability, persons.
I would prefer to sit on a nice beach and let Neptune decide.
Yep, typical of most homes, methinks.

Some have more material comforts, but as we know, thicker carpets don't make for a happier life.

Don't suppose we can interest you in the 93 year old Rupert Murdoch solution to this problem?

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.17.02.png

So i just turned 66 last February, robbed of a year of pension. Now no fuel allowance for the first time, what next can i be punished for i wonder 🤔
Income tax, VAT, excise duty, road fund licence, pence per mile road charging, council tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax, windfall taxes on oil and therefore petrol, and Air Passenger duty on flying.

So i just turned 66 last February, robbed of a year of pension. Now no fuel allowance for the first time, what next can i be punished for i wonder 🤔

You are being punished for doing all those things that the government told you that you should do: study hard, work hard, and save for your retirement.

I bet that Margaret Thatcher's portrait was replaced with a poster displaying Labour's new motto:

7731024-P-T-Barnum-Quote-There-s-a-sucker-born-every-minute.jpg

Thanks Mike, so things are looking good at last 😱
Just do what we did in the 1970's and after 1997: reorganise your life accordingly.

But thank the lord that you're not repaying that £50,000 student loan.

If you haven't been earning enough to get repayments deducted from your salary,

10 years after graduation your balance outstanding on a student loan will be about £100,000.

Try paying that off between the age of 30 and 50

Seems like kicking-out the chap who had an unauthorised beer during COVID was a big mistake.....
No, the mistake was letting him stay

Image 1.jpg

Just do what we did in the 1970's and after 1997: reorganise your life accordingly.

But thank the lord that you're not repaying that £50,000 student loan.

If you haven't been earning enough to get repayments deducted from your salary,

10 years after graduation your balance outstanding on a student loan will be about £100,000.

Try paying that off between the age of 30 and 50
I had no idea about that. My oldest two went to university when there was no need for such massive loans, and my youngest still has a long way to go.

What I struggle to understand is why graduates such as those interviewed for this BBC piece aren't doing their utmost to pay off larger chunks of their high interest loans. Some are talking about earning over £50k pa but only paying off £200 a month of loans in excess of £50k.

I had no idea about that. My oldest two went to university when there was no need for such massive loans, and my youngest still has a long way to go.

What I struggle to understand is why graduates such as those interviewed for this BBC piece aren't doing their utmost to pay off larger chunks of their high interest loans. Some are talking about earning over £50k pa but only paying off £200 a month of loans in excess of £50k.

Conventional advice is to NOT pay off more than the required repayments, in the expectation that you won't actually ever repay the whole thing.

Repay nothing for 30 years - by not earning enough to trigger repayment - and the taxpayer will completely forgive the loan.

Seven years ago, Oxford female graduates were being told this very firmly as they were told, by their colleges, that they were statistically unlikely to earn enough money through the course of their careers to actually repay their whole £50k loan before they're fifty. (Gobsmacking, I know, but that is definitely what was being said)

But... if you do earn enough from to repay, it's still a complicated calculation as to whether it's better to repay the loan early, or invest at better than 10% after tax. The exact numbers have varied from year to year because of inflation and bank interest rates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom