Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
92,000 people are happy and that's all that matters - for now.....

One day someone will post on this thread that they are happy about something.
Here's one guy who's happy.
"I like Boris Johnson I always have. He's a different kind of a guy but they say I'm a different kind of a guy too. We get along well I think we will have a very good relationship" ----- Donald Trump
Trump: Johnson 'will do a great job as PM'

Image-1.png

"a lot less than the yearly handout you get from the Taxpayer", she replied
Don't all MPs get a yearly handout from the Taxpayer? This will include the MP for Maidenhead since 1997..... so it's not really like she'd raise the issue ;)

I tend not to wade in to politics, being of colonial decent and living here at her Majesty's pleasure (not incarcerated but on a visa), however Boris appears to me to be a rather poor prime minister, perhaps time will tell and the chap will grow in to the role? I have no faith in the outcome of a general election, as no other candidate appears to have the gravitas or conviction to truly be deserving of the role, as it pertains to interpreting the will of the people and moderating that with the needs of the nation, for the greater good.

I tend not to wade in to politics, being of colonial decent and living here at her Majesty's pleasure (not incarcerated but on a visa), however Boris appears to me to be a rather poor prime minister, perhaps time will tell and the chap will grow in to the role? I have no faith in the outcome of a general election, as no other candidate appears to have the gravitas or conviction to truly be deserving of the role, as it pertains to interpreting the will of the people and moderating that with the needs of the nation, for the greater good.
I think the question is who would be best suited for the job at No 10?

Perhaps it's sad to admit, but I don't think there's a better candidate than Boris at the moment. Not within the Tory party, and certainly not among other party leaders.

So Boris it is....

Time will tell, if he is given enough, to see if he is up to the job.
His claim of leaving the EU without a deal on 31st Oct are no more than empty words. The rest of the party won't allow it.
Meanwhile, comrade Corbyn skulks in the background waiting to further his ambitions by putting a spoke into anything that the electorate voted for, or is good for our country.

So the Tories won't do as their leader directs again (thankfully), so there is no point in a Tory leader.
Parliament won't do as their electorate directs, so there is no point in Parliament.

The whole establishment is out dated.
The whole is in dire need of overhaul, and possibly beyond repair.
That applies to the politics and the Palace.

Will we actually be any worse off when Trump transforms it to a Hotel, after all as a golf course too many balls would end up in't river. So that'll be Hyde Park.
MP's become Minion of President.
PM is already the Presidents Monkey.

I think the question is who would be best suited for the job at No 10?

Perhaps it's sad to admit, but I don't think there's a better candidate than Boris at the moment. Not within the Tory party, and certainly not among other party leaders.

So Boris it is....
A view I cannot disagree with. Nevertheless, a sad commentary on the state of politics, when the decision amounts to the lesser of several incompetent evils.

I cannot satisfactorily identify a single politician, regardless of my own bias and affiliation and with an open mind, whom I feel could steer the country. Not a single one. All I see is a collection of self serving individuals who pay lip service but fail to truly understand the role to which they have been elected and ultimately the cause which they should serve.

Don't all MPs get a yearly handout from the Taxpayer?
yes but Mays was a LOT less annually than ERs, and for around 50 years less
This will include the MP for Maidenhead since 1997..... so it's not really like she'd raise the issue ;)
Whereas ER is likely to raise the issue of Mays pension ??

It was a satirical response to a piece of satire.

Last edited:
So the Tories won't do as their leader directs again (thankfully), so there is no point in a Tory leader.
Parliament won't do as their electorate directs, so there is no point in Parliament.

The whole establishment is out dated.
The whole is in dire need of overhaul, and possibly beyond repair.
That applies to the politics and the Palace.

With that 'it's broken' refrain appearing so often, I've been asking for some time what the proposed alternative is.

Will we actually be any worse off when Trump transforms it to a Hotel, after all as a golf course too many balls would end up in't river. So that'll be Hyde Park.
MP's become Minion of President.
PM is already the Presidents Monkey.

At last! - I get an answer!

Boris gave a good speech today, I thought. Not divisive, yet not compromising on core values in order to lure voters from the other side. In short, he said all the right things.

(Obviously, this does not mean he will DO all the right things...)

Corbyn, in contrast, said all the wrong things. He tried to scare the public by suggesting that the Torys will reinstate the death penalty, and will sell the NHS to the Americans. Then he engaged in ad-hominem, attacking Boris' credibility. And finally, he said his party will campaign for Remain in a second referendum.

Die-hard Torys and die-hard Labour supporters will be unphased by these speeches and continue to vote like their fathers did, and their fathers before them... but for the undecided, if they were listening, I think that Boris appeared today as a much better proposition than Corbyn.

Still, there's some time to go before the next GE and anything can happen between now and then.

I think if the Brexit horizon wasn't looming so close, BoJo would call an immediate election. Mt guess is he would win a LOT of seats, given how shockingly poor the labour party currently is, which would make things a lot easier, nor having to pander to the extreme wings of the "family".

I would be amazed if the Tories weren't discussing the advantage of their capitalising on the free publicity that the leadership campaigns has given them.

Aside from over talking each other during a televised debate, broadly their campaings looked respectful, not all though granted.

Labour are still in self destruct re semetism and the statements of how they can attempt to right this perceived wrong.
While they intelligently allow Abbott to stay discreet these days, I perceive that many if not most of the electorate don't hold Corbyn or McDonnell in high regard, or even credible.
Corbyn has finally taken a side on Brexit, but I don't feel that will recover the lost support due to his vagueness, to put it politely. And many Labour voters do want out.

May screwed up when she invisaged increasing the Tory majority at the last GE, I'm not so sure the same would apply this time, if there were to be one called by BJ.

Would the distraction of a GE make any difference to the Brexit non negotiations anyway? I realise that MP's would have to prioritise their own campaigning, but will the eu actually consider acceptable UK proposals.
The Civil Service will be responsible for responding to department instructions, so how much do the MP's need to be in attendance, not that that would be the foremost thought of the Tories anyway.

If timed strategically how much time would Parliament have to try and reverse a no deal Brexit?

I suspect he will just want to get stuck into his 31/10 Brexit commitment;
but with that said, if the back bench start making that impossible by various means, as has been intimated, he may be forced into an election and with a plausible excuse.

Labour are still in self destruct re semetism and the statements of how they can attempt to right this perceived wrong.

I'm not at all sure just how much wrong there is.

I've heard far more allegations of anti-Semitism than I've seen evidence and many of those allegations relate to card-carrying members rather than elected politicians or party officials.

And whilst the party has inflicted much damage on itself by allowing senior officials to meddle in anti-Semitism investigations, there is insufficient coverage of the role of Israel and the pro-Israeli lobby in stoking up these problems as they try to create an atmosphere whereby any future Labour government would find it very difficult to criticise them without being howled down with further dubious claims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom