[W204] Cleaning Residue from debadging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes I suppose you're right..so are you going to take the MB stars off the car and put Toyota ones on or just leave it bare?

Wow, just wow. Missing the point slightly.

I guess some people just like their cars to look exactly like everyone else's how they roll out of the factory, whilst others like to have theirs looking smoother and more individual. Each to their own, you pay for your car, insurance and tax so should do as you wish with it.

I de-badge my cars too and i am a complete petrol head.

I haven't done the C350 yet as not had the time to and only had the car 5 weeks, 3 of which were spent in Italy.

But if it was such a "bad" thing to do why do Mercedes, Audi and BMW offer it as an option when buying a new car :rolleyes:

Oh and i've detailed a Porsche 911 C4S that the owner wanted debadging.

Maurauth said:
No need to be a *****, I was just asking for advice on how to clean the residue. I've always debadged my cars as I dislike the chrome that they put all over the boot and sides of cars. I debadged all my old MX-5s which were top spec, top engine. Removing the badges is just first step before I remove the chrome trim and have it wrapped in black to smooth out the look.
I'm pleased you managed to remove the adhesive, the point of the original post.

Personally I love chrome, and highly polished paintwork, so debadging, dechroming and wrapping are all anathema to me, but as has been said before, hey, it's your car.

It's a good job for you that adhesives have improved, and cost cutting has increased, as back in the day, badges and chrome trimmings - and they were both metal - were secured by pins through holes in the bodywork with spring clips behind. While easier to remove, and I used to remove badges regularly to clean behind them (!!!), to remove them permanently would mean filling the holes and repainting........

Last edited:
I debadged my c230k but only because I swapped the boot lid for a not rusted one from a c180. I thought about leaving the 180 on there for a laugh but the c230 isn't quite quick enough for that to be truly ironic. If I'd had a c43 though... might have surprised a few people :D

Slightly more on topic, when I removed the badges (hairdryer and dental floss method) it peeled off all the damn lacquer and some of the paint and now there's a definite c180 outline where it was. Very upsetting as the boot lid was in perfect condition prior to that.

A lot easier to keep a car clean without badges in the way.

Especially the Bi-Turbo ones in the swages in the front wings. No polish residue or bits of microfibre hanging off it now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom