• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The UK Politics & Brexit Thread

This is just the cyclical nature of two party politics.

Tories get in, do well for a while, then they don't, so Labour gets in.
Labour get in, do well for a while then they don't, Tories get in.

Listen to the resigning speeches of all the previous PMs, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and now May. They all basically sound the same.

What if the Tory party can't decide on a leader and there is no majority voted in? Could they then ask Theresa May for an extension o_O

They could do a referendum among the party members...........

Reactions: 219
I say bring back good old David “Call me Dave” Cameron; who could forget this prophetic beauty he posted on Twitter in the run up to the 2015 election:

“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband”

The new PM wont be in place until the end of July leaving just 13 weeks to come to an agreement within Parliament and then go to Brussels to renegotiate a deal that they have already said is not renegotiable. Macron has already said he wont agree to another A50 extension so we're going out with no deal on 31st October.

This is just the cyclical nature of two party politics.

Tories get in, do well for a while, then they don't, so Labour gets in.
Labour get in, do well for a while then they don't, Tories get in.

Listen to the resigning speeches of all the previous PMs, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron and now May. They all basically sound the same.

Tories get in, starve the country to the bone and Labour then get in to repair the damage.
Labour get in and are subsequently thrown out for spending the money that the Tories didn't.

No one would run anything (business, household, car) on such a basis. An identifiable cycle that can be broken when the populace realise that electing the Tories costs them more in the long run. (Which is not an automatic endorsement of Labour - other parties exist).

The new PM wont be in place until the end of July leaving just 13 weeks to come to an agreement within Parliament and then go to Brussels to renegotiate a deal that they have already said is not renegotiable. Macron has already said he wont agree to another A50 extension so we're going out with no deal on 31st October.

I don't see any prospect of a deal being reached at least not one that involves actually leaving the EU. That leaves no deal but the problem for the new leader is how to achieve a no deal exit without putting it to a vote in parliament. A vote will kill anything.

Hmm.

Tories get in, starve the country to the bone trying to recoup all the money Labour have squandered, all the while not being affected by austerity, unlike the rest of us.
Labour get in and borrow even more in a vain attempt to rouse the economy putting us back where we started. Borrowing to save never works.
Tories take my money and give it to the rich.
Labour take my money and give it to the poor.

Either way I'm shafted.

I don't see any prospect of a deal being reached at least not one that involves actually leaving the EU. That leaves no deal but the problem for the new leader is how to achieve a no deal exit without putting it to a vote in parliament. A vote will kill anything.

I suspect the strategy will be to call a GE and change the parliamentary arithmetic. If so, BJ will probably become leader as the view in the Tory party is that he is the best bet against Corbyn. Coincidentally, BJ is the one most likely to call a GE. Time will tell, but as you allude, the options otherwise are somewhat limited.

I almost felt sorry for her watching her breakdown at the end of her speech.............almost!

Hmm.

Tories get in, starve the country to the bone trying to recoup all the money Labour have squandered, all the while not being affected by austerity, unlike the rest of us.
Labour get in and borrow even more in a vain attempt to rouse the economy putting us back where we started. Borrowing to save never works.
Tories take my money and give it to the rich.
Labour take my money and give it to the poor.

Either way I'm shafted.

Apart from the morality of the above, while the Tories are dishing out to the rich neglect of the poorest leads to an even greater cost. Windrush and Grenfell are two very obvious examples.

I suspect the strategy will be to call a GE and change the parliamentary arithmetic.

Presumably depends on the anticipated parliamentary arithmetic.

Public are volatile at the moment. Either main party cuold be ahead right now and have its anticipated majority collapse.

Presumably depends on the anticipated parliamentary arithmetic.

Public are volatile at the moment. Either main party cuold be ahead right now and have its anticipated majority collapse.

My current take (though given the volatility that could change) on where we're heading is BJ or the likes (the next PM in other words) praying that the Brexit Party have stormed the EU elections which will be taken as the cue to run a GE on a no-deal Brexit ticket. The call from the public for remain leaning MPs to be ousted will be enacted and Westminster is filled with a no-deal leaving majority.

On thing I am certain of is that after Tusk's warning of 'don't waste time' any further concessions or re-negotiations from the EU are dead in the water. The options are narrowing.

Unless of course the Lib Dems and SNP take Brussels in which case if there's knock at your door, don't answer. Leave Boris to work out 'what next' on his own. Sunday is the day of reckoning I guess.

Tories get in,try to fix the state the country is left in after Labour almost bankrupt us.
Labour get in after making false promises that can't be paid for and are subsequently thrown out for borrowing, then spending money uncontrollably and almost bankrupting us again.

FTFY

Labour did not break Lehman Brothers or cause the financial crash of 2008. The policies more aligned with a party of continued deregulation did that. We are inches away from a PM who's idea of Brexit is a 'bonfire of regulations'.

I'm interested though, to know what you think the UK would look like if Labour hadn't bailed out the banking sector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom