• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Have You Seen Any Interesting Cars On The Road Lately?

Again not strictly on the road but I visited Morgan Experience in Malvern and saw some very interesting cars of yesteryear plus a EV prototype car with three wheels.
I can’t believe that I still haven’t visited Morgan. I need to sort that out. Would you recommend it?

I saw quite a few interesting cars today although most weren’t strictly on the road, but they were very much being used. Some of the standouts have the DNA of our very own @Mactech in them.

The first being the Jaguar XJ220. The proportions are staggering, and give it incredible presence, especially when pressing on. It’s finally getting some of the credit it always deserved.

View attachment 158140

I didn’t count but there must have been around half as many Jaguar XJR-15 as there would have been on the very same grid back in 1991 and they are still seriously quick today.

View attachment 158141

Finally, I know very little about Le Mans cars but I think this is a TWR Jaguar XJR-12 LM and was possibly part of the line-up which were victorious in 1991, but I’m sure @Mactech will confirm.
The number 35 car is indeed the 1991 car which I engineered at Le Mans on a few days off from the day job of developing the XJ220. We didn't win that year but finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th behind the screaming Mazda driven by Johnny Herbert. He would later join me at Bentley when we had a 1st and 2nd in 2003.
I was invited to the gig, but was going to play no active role so stayed in Norfolk...
Glad you got to ride with a race driver in a really quick road car, those guys are good eh?
Now imagine riding in a Le Mans winning Jaguar with a Le Mans winning driver in about 50% quicker lap time....I was lucky enough to do that in period when Abbey was a flat out curve. With all the downforce it felt like if the car had come unstuck it would have landed in Northampton.....
way beyond deeply impressive;)

Last edited:
I didn’t count but there must have been around half as many Jaguar XJR-15 as there would have been on the very same grid back in 1991 and they are still seriously quick today.

View attachment 158141
A little known fact about the Jaguar XJR-15 is that it became the basis of Nissan's Le Mans racers of 1997/8!
It must be one of the only recorded instances of 'platform sharing' between Jaguar and Nissan.

IMG_1176.JPG
The XJR-15 was developed as a road going version of Jaguar's Gp C racers of the 80's with the carbon monocoque modified to suit the road legal vision requirements, but almost all the downforce taken away.
By the mid 90's the regulations at Le Mans demanded the any manufacturers entering car had to make road legal versions of the racing cars and hence the dominance of cars such as Mclaren F1 GTR. When Nissan decided they wanted to enter the race, TWR had a monocoque which fitted the bill and so the XJR-15 chassis was repurposed to shortcut the lead time and become their Le Mans car for '97 and 98....
Jaguar and a Nissan? You must be Juking!......but it is true.

Image.jpg

This trundled past my place yesterday.
Not the most exotic or evocative perhaps, but nice (for me) to see nonetheless.
Apparently it belongs to his Son in Law, who lives in London & has no where to park it down there.
So "good old Father in law" looks after it for him up here, and takes it out for the occasional run to ensure all is well. It's a hard life, isn't it ?

IMG_20240621_121311.jpg

This trundled past my place yesterday.
Not the most exotic or evocative perhaps, but nice (for me) to see nonetheless.
Apparently it belongs to his Son in Law, who lives in London & has no where to park it down there.
So "good old Father in law" looks after it for him up here, and takes it out for the occasional run to ensure all is well. It's a hard life, isn't it ?

View attachment 158238
Looks great, and those Rostyle wheels are lovely. Grille looks a bit non-standard though I think?

Looks great, and those Rostyle wheels are lovely. Grille looks a bit non-standard though I think?
1974 (suffix M reg) was the year the Midget suffered Americanism, and gained a higher stance, 1500 Spitfire engine, and huge rubber bumpers, which covered the grille. There are lots of rubber bumper cars that have been converted to chrome bumpers, some of which having a non-standard grille.
Could this be one, maybe?

EDIT - disregard the above!! A quick post-posting check with DVLA shows this reg to belong to a blue Midget, with a 1275cc engine, registered in April 74. So unless it’s also had an engine change, it should have chrome bumpers, and standard grille. But it looks to have quite a gap between the wheels and the body. So who knows?!

But whatever it is, I’d love to own it!!

Last edited:
Living where I do - not far from Bicester Heritage - I often see some pretty extraordinary cars driving around but on Friday morning I saw a first (for me): A DeLorean on the road, driving towards me as I headed off to the local supermarket. I've seen them in museums, but never actually on the road.

Sorry, no photo as I was driving :(

There is a guy who dailies one near me....its over a second slower to 60 than my 2.0 derv Alfa along with 40 less horsepower, way less torque and 5 mph less top end.....so I'm always flying by him.....just for the satisfaction! A sports car it is not...nor ever was. Cool though!

Amongst other interesting ones today was what I think was a C reg Ford Consul Classic convertible, as well as a lovely Triumph GT6 in McLaren Papya. No photos, I was driving! Add a couple of Jag Mk2's (short boot variety) and at least 1, maybe 2, Morgans and a Cobra replica! A bit of sun brings all sorts out, including my SLK with the roof down!

Saw this yesterday on the M1.

Lovely car in wonderful condition but I like them with the spare wheel mounted on the boot lid. Is it just the 3500S that has that??
IMG_2214.jpeg

but I like them with the spare wheel mounted on the boot lid. Is it just the 3500S that has that??
ISTR that it was an optional kit that was available to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid as a way of expanding the rather small boot space, rather than being specific to any particular version of the P6. It was most common on the V8's as they also had the battery in the boot making the luggage space even smaller.

My recollection could be incorrect though!

ISTR that it was an optional kit that was available to mount the spare wheel on the boot lid as a way of expanding the rather small boot space, rather than being specific to any particular version of the P6. It was most common on the V8's as they also had the battery in the boot making the luggage space even smaller.

My recollection could be incorrect though!
Your recollections are not incorrect!

Looks a right bodge!

Think I saw that in Preston this morning! Can't be many Stags around in that condition and that colour
Wow... They were never renowned for their endurance, but that's gone downhill very quickly mate..! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom