• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

The UK Politics & Brexit Thread

Pinched from elsewhere:

“This morning, I found a great big black hole in my finances. So I've just given the cleaner, the cook and the butler 15% pay rises, ordered a new Range Rover, ripped out my perfectly good boiler and installed a heat pump, and turfed my Mum out on the street. Vote Labour!”

Pinched from elsewhere:

“This morning, I found a great big black hole in my finances. So I've just given the cleaner, the cook and the butler 15% pay rises, ordered a new Range Rover, ripped out my perfectly good boiler and installed a heat pump, and turfed my Mum out on the street. Vote Labour!”
Are you sure you are not Rachel Reeves? 🤔😂

Only an idiot would throw her hat into the ring to become an MP for the “employment package.” It’s a trade for vain windbags with a very remote chance of success.

Is it financially advantageous to live in two homes for most of the year? Hardly. Try living from a suitcase for a while, you’ll soon get the drift.
I did, I live in Peterborough and had a job in Bristol (Abbey Wood) for over 4 Years, travel down on Sunday Afternoon and travel back around Lunchtime on a Friday, I had to live in different Digs throughout the week at one time, so I never knew where I was actually staying that night until I turned up! :rolleyes::oops:

AND having to work with MoD Staff and Civil Servants! :doh:

I did, I live in Peterborough and had a job in Bristol (Abbey Wood) for over 4 Years, travel down on Sunday Afternoon and travel back around Lunchtime on a Friday, I had to live in different Digs throughout the week at one time, so I never knew where I was actually staying that night until I turned up! :rolleyes::oops:

AND having to work with MoD Staff and Civil Servants! :doh:

As did most of us. Did you make a fortune on the expenses while your wife and family grew ever more affectionate?

The 27 year old newly qualified accountants and solicitors I know, who all earn more than their MP, wouldn’t be so keen.

The 27 year old newly qualified accountants and solicitors I know, who all earn more than their MP, wouldn’t be so keen.

Accountants and solicitors earn their living to a great degree thanks to the multilayered and complex bureaucracy imposed by central and local government. This includes also tax advisors, conveyancing solicitors, managing agents, surveyors, etc. It's an amazing system that was built many years ago for the (almost) sole purpose of providing for the livelihood of middle-class professionals. In a way, it's a parallel system the civil service, just in the private sector.

Of course, these people do a good job of helping us mere mortals navigate through the complexity of government bureaucracy.

As did most of us. Did you make a fortune on the expenses while your wife and family grew ever more affectionate?

I never made a fortune and if you take mileage, wear and tear into consideration I was probably worse off! The Travelling on a Sunday was "Self Inflicted" I started work at 06:30, so if I travelled on a Monday Morning I would have to set off at 03:00, I changed to travelling a the Sunday as I was Knackered by midday on the Monday! The only problem with that arrangement was the fact that I had to Travel on a Bank Holiday! My Management never thought that was a Problem though! :doh::dk::rolleyes:

My first experience working away from home was just for a month. I was a newly qualified technician and transferred to GCHQ in Cheltenham from their Middlesex outpost. The standardised daily allowance was 2/6 less than the cheapest B&B in town! Frugal eating was necessary, making good use of the few pence profit I made on the mileage allowance.

This is what she wrote that got her in trouble:

70139321-0-image-a-45_1682242367609.jpg

Dear Diane,

No, the Jews were not required to sit at the back of the bus like black people in America were. No, the Jews were required to hope on a train instead.... who in your opinion got the better deal here, you ignorant person?

70139321-0-image-a-45_1682242367609.jpg

Dear Diane,

No, the Jews were not required to sit at the back of the bus like black people in America were. No, the Jews were required to hope on a train instead.... who in your opinion got the better deal here, you ignorant person?

Neatly forgetting of course that slavery was not always about white races oppressing and enslaving black Africans etc and of course not acknowledging that slavery was practiced across Africa by indigenous tribes who enslaved people from rival groups.

The Barbary slave traders captured over 1milliom Europeans and the Ottoman empire also captured and sold white people in to slavery and there are many more examples.

Abbot et al just like to make noise and push her own agenda without the intellectual rigour to present a properly argued view.

Last edited:
Abbott is, and always has been, a race baiter.

In other shock news, the sun will set tonight and rise again tomorrow morning.

Accountants and solicitors earn their living to a great degree thanks to the multilayered and complex bureaucracy imposed by central and local government. This includes also tax advisors, conveyancing solicitors, managing agents, surveyors, etc. It's an amazing system that was built many years ago for the (almost) sole purpose of providing for the livelihood of middle-class professionals. In a way, it's a parallel system the civil service, just in the private sector.

Of course, these people do a good job of helping us mere mortals navigate through the complexity of government bureaucracy.
Very good. Shall we talk about all the 27 year old salesmen, IT analysts, coders, plumbers, engineers, panel beaters.....and so on, who all earn far more than the typical idiot MP in her or his fifties?

The point remains, the unenviable job of being an MP isn't done for the money or the pension, it's paid peanuts in the hope of attracting arrogant, mouthy, chimpanzees, or people who want to lose a small fortune, having made, or inherited, a large one.

Very good. Shall we talk about all the 27 year old salesmen, IT analysts, coders, plumbers, engineers, panel beaters.....and so on, who all earn far more than the typical idiot MP in her or his fifties?

The point remains, the unenviable job of being an MP isn't done for the money or the pension, it's paid peanuts in the hope of attracting arrogant, mouthy, chimpanzees, or people who want to lose a small fortune, having made, or inherited, a large one.

"The basic annual salary of a Member of Parliament (MP) in the House of Commons is £91,346, plus expenses, from April 2024"

Neatly forgetting of course that slavery was not always about white races oppressing and enslaving black Africans etc and of course not acknowledging that slavery was practiced across Africa by indigenous tribes who enslaved people from rival groups.

The Barbary slave traders captured over 1milliom Europeans and the Ottoman empire also captured and sold white people in to slavery and there are many more examples.

Abbot et al just like to make noise and push her own agenda without the intellectual rigour to present a properly argued view.
In her brief defence.....(Enjoy this now, you won't find me saying this often)....she's a ruddy politician, so she's doing it to get votes.

To be honest, all politicians spout a lot of nonsense to get elected, supported, and get other stuff done. It's the essence of their trade.

If you want to get elected in Hackney, you have to say stuff that they want to hear. (Ditto Maidenhead, North Yorkshire, Scotland & Merseyside)

"The basic annual salary of a Member of Parliament (MP) in the House of Commons is £91,346, plus expenses, from April 2024"
Exactly, a good 27 old year earns more, and hasn't spent nigh on a decade trying to get elected at her own cost, with a tiny chance of success.

And they're not living in London and the Provinces at the same time, routinely working a six day week, nor on call all hours.

But, hey, throw your hat in the ring. The Tories are desperate for Councillors and wannabe MP's to lose the 2029 election. With five years to invest, it'll be a great apprenticeship. Odds of success? At least one percent, maybe more.

Last edited:
Abbott is, and always has been, a race baiter.

In other shock news, the sun will set tonight and rise again tomorrow morning.
Very much the archetypal one trick pony.
In her brief defence.....(Enjoy this now, you won't find me saying this often)....she's a ruddy politician, so she's doing it to get votes.

To be honest, all politicians spout a lot of nonsense to get elected, supported, and get other stuff done. It's the essence of their trade.

If you want to get elected in Hackney, you have to say stuff that they want to hear. (Ditto Maidenhead, North Yorkshire, Scotland & Merseyside)
In her case (and that of her ex bed fellow Corbyn) they are elected in spite of what they say.

Politicians often have to say whatever their voters want to hear, agreed. Does it means that Diane Abbott is appealing for the vote of Britain's antisemitics? Keeping in mind that she was talking about "the Jews", one of the most persecuted minorities in human history, without even attempting to whitewash it by mentioning 'Israel' or 'Zionism' as her ilk often do.

Exactly, a good 27 old year earns more, and hasn't spent nigh on a decade trying to get elected at her own cost, with a tiny chance of success.
I must live in totally different circles to you lot, I don't think I know a single 27 year old who earns even half of that!

And they're not living in London and the Provinces at the same time, routinely working a six day week, nor on call all hours.

But, hey, throw your hat in the ring. The Tories are desperate for Councillors and wannabe MP's to lose the 2029 election. With five years to invest, it'll be a great apprenticeship. Odds of success? At least one percent, maybe more.

"The top 5% earn £7,251 per month or more. That’s shockingly only £87,012 per year. Anyone making a six-figure salary is in the top 5%."

How many 27 years old are in the top 5%? MPs certainly are.

Very much the archetypal one trick pony.

In her case (and that of her ex bed fellow Corbyn) they are elected in spite of what they say.
Tis true, but her majority and her TV appearance fees are enormous

because of what she says.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom