2010 National GTG questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hmmmmmm who said this?

a mystery forum member :) said:
thanks to everyone, we had a fantastic time as did the 500SL.. the V8 got a good work out this weekend. I love that sound...

Portmerion was good and we could have spent the whole day there walking around the trails but we decided to head off to see other places.

Snowdon mountain railway is a must do.. the steam railway could do with a couple of supercharged V8's but the view once at the summit is breathtaking. Pictures just dont do it justice.

Do not take the main motorways or the A55.. the A5 and smaller roads around the mountains are stunning..

Yep thats true, wales is fantastic... but you arent getting the point.. great place for a weekend away not a GTG.. there is a distinct difference..

There will only be a handful that can spare an entire weekend.. you have centred this around these people... not the people who do actually just want to come along and meet up with others for the day, check out their cars and yes... "kick tyres"...

Most people's weekends are valuable... I know if i get a weekend away I want to spend it with my wife/family as these occasions are rare..

Sorry Andy, im not trying to pour water on the proceedings, just to make you guys see sense before its too late to change..

Last edited:
nearly every other car club manages a weekend for it's big annual event with several smaller meets through the year - that was the idea here so, we are not missing the point. We are trying to create something a bit different from our 'normal' gtgs of which there are many

You can't please all the people all the time and some can't be pleased at all, it's a fact of life.
Maybe we should drive round every members home town.:dk: That way, everyone would be able to join in.

It will take me 6 hrs to get to the gtg, but I don't intend on going motorway all the way.
M25, M1, M6, M54 then A5, A485 and A470. A nice leisurely drive up through the Berwyn mountains.

ok cool if you think so.

Just remember the biggest meets are always at an easy destination... Merc Club, biggest turnouts are the family days at brooklands.. the ones in scotland, wales, abroad etc only ever attract a few of the retired... and this is a club that has thousands more devoted members than ours.

You can't please all the people all the time and some can't be pleased at all, it's a fact of life.
Maybe we should drive round every members home town.:dk: That way, everyone would be able to join in.

Im simply trying help by pointing out that the choice of venue is illogical... if you guys think that north west wales will atract a good turnout then fine I must be a fool...

In all sincerity..Good Luck... I will genuinly try and make it but I really doubt i can spare that much time and others must be in the same camp.

Im simply trying help by pointing out that the choice of venue is illogical... if you guys think that north west wales will atract a good turnout then fine I must be a fool...

In all sincerity..Good Luck... I will genuinly try and make it but I really doubt i can spare that much time and others must be in the same camp.

Any location could be deemed as illogical.
We hold it at Brooklands, nobody from north of Birmingham would attend. We hold it in Glasgow, nobody from the SE would attend.
At least it's half way up the UK.

ok cool if you think so.

Just remember the biggest meets are always at an easy destination... Merc Club, biggest turnouts are the family days at brooklands.. the ones in scotland, wales, abroad etc only ever attract a few of the retired... and this is a club that has thousands more devoted members than ours.

Did you look at my table of times? By the same measure, you are 3 hrs 15 mins away. Ambleside is 3 hrs 10 mins.

How close to you would you like any proposed meet to be?

I never measure journeys by mileage - only by (gu)estimate of time.

Jay, we are talking about the end of next June, nearly eight months away.

Hopefully, that gives people enough time to sort out a weekend break.

If we had suggested it for next month then I would agree with you but at least everyone has plenty of notice

Jay, we are talking about the end of next June, nearly eight months away.

Hopefully, that gives people enough time to sort out a weekend break.

If we had suggested it for next month then I would agree with you but at least everyone has plenty of notice

Ok well ive said what I had to.. good luck to all involved..

Did you look at my table of times? By the same measure, you are 3 hrs 15 mins away. Ambleside is 3 hrs 10 mins.

I dont want to get into it but trust me the Michelin man is wrong.. some of the roads are very twisty.. get stuck behind a tractor or slow coach and you can be doing 40 for miles and miles... Lake district was just an example but having been there recently i know the roads are a lot more reliable... almost just of the M6.

Ive said what I have to say.. I feel that ive been here long enough that most members are friends and so I tend not to shy away and just stand by to watch when something isnt right...

It's going to take me about 4hrs to get there, that's fine by me! A nice early start, sunrise hopefully! If anyone fancys meeting up for a convoy there please either pm me or post it up here.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="Google Maps /><small><a href="Google Maps" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

My route, looks beautiful!!! I will be taking a couple of extra memory cards for the camera!!!! :thumb:

Seven and a half hours for us with the caravan. Overnight stop at Chester on the Fri methinks. Looking forward to it already. :D

Any venue chosen would have inevitably attracted critism as you cannot please all. There have been many suggestions, but for the criteria given it would seem these guys have done a good job.
Would anyone have been happier if the price was going to be £50 per member to accomodate the cost of the venue?
Looking at the travel times within England it would appear to represent a fairly even spread of journey length and a beautiful place to boot.
Obviously I would have prefered it to be in the North East(Has already started to put together my Bid for the 2016 <Olympics> Event) but to be honest I didnt see a rush of people coming forward to help arrange this event. If you had then you could have influenced the descision.
Lets get behind this and make it an event to remember for the right reasons:rock:

That's fine by me!! Unless we have a convoy in tow of course!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom