2010 National GTG questions and answers thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I guess it is time to make the effort to attend now that SOMETHING has been organised.

If you don't wish to come, fine. Nobody is required to attend. However a number of people have gone out of their way in their own time to work something out.

maybe we should appreciate that instead of offering opinions!

I would like to suggest if you have no further positive things to add, don't add anything then those of us who will be making the effort to make the event happen can get on with doing just do that.

I doubt negative contributions will help the forum, and a lack of negative comments on this thread won't bring down the rest of the forum either.

:thumb:

Im sorry to be the one to put a downer on it but someone has to be the one to tell it as it is.

Its going to be a small holiday for a few devoted members NOT a national club GTG.

Shame as I was looking forward to a day off work..

This is exactly the problem, by having the meet at least a days drive away for most people, how many people will show up?

Making it so remote will mean that few of us will be able to just have a day trip, and surely most members will want to be there for the Sunday?

Thanks for all the planning, but surely a rethink is in order?

Ok, if we said we'd hold it in Glasgow then Nick. Would you turn up then?
How can you say it is at least a days drive away for most people? We don't know any numbers as yet and a lot of people are closer than you or I.
As has been said many times, some people will have to travel a long distance to this event, some not so far.
Not everyone can be happy.
It will take me a long time to get there with the caravan, but I'm not complaining. I am actually quite looking forward to it already.

to be honest Nick, wherever we hold it we can't please everybody.

Anywhere we hold an event involves travelling for most of the members and it's always going to be too far for somebody

We are just making sure that this event will be worth attending

I don't think any of the comments regarding choice of location are regarding an individual's own journey time/distance to the event, it's more around the average journey time/distance for all members who would be interested in attending.

I suspect that the majority of attendees will be 3 hours plus, and I'm one of those. Had it been in the Midlands or closeby then the majority of users would be within 3 hours.

That won't make a difference to the core regular membership, but to make the event a true success in my eyes then it must have a broader appeal than that, which means closer to more people.

Of course what makes it a success may well be different for each of us - and possibly different to the view of the committee - and so we must consider that.

For me the number of attendees is critical, as that will influence the feel of the day, will influence appeitite of those who are unsure whether to attend or not, influence the attractiveness for sponsors, stall holders, etc, and ultimately the bang for the buck for each person that buys a ticket.

I really don't want to be negative - I'll be doing my very best to attend - but there is a risk that this will be a small event in a beautiful venue rather than a National Day. If that's the intention, then perfect. If it's not the attention, it may not be too late.

Beautiful venue, loads to do when you are there, club competitions, facilities to make a weekend of it are all good reasons for a lot of members attending with their families.

Beautiful venue, loads to do when you are there, club competitions, facilities to make a weekend of it are all good reasons for a lot of members attending with their families.

But it's the remotness that will scare off people with families, being so far from a motorway, mile after mile a road with kids is no fun...

But it's the remotness that will scare off people with families, being so far from a motorway, mile after mile a road with kids is no fun...

'It should be based on location, ie people will be more happy to travel to a great venue, than some boring venue that happens to be in the middle of the country and next to a motorway.'

These were your words Nick, post number 345 in the main thread:p

'It should be based on location, ie people will be more happy to travel to a great venue, than some boring venue that happens to be in the middle of the country and next to a motorway.'

These were your words Nick, post number 345 in the main thread:p

But a field in deepest darkest wales??

But a field in deepest darkest wales??

I thought the little ones might enjoy looking out the window at all the scenery you would see on the way?
There is so many different routes to get there, some very direct and some off the beaten path.
Have you got your journey time from a route planner?

I don't think any of the comments regarding choice of location are regarding an individual's own journey time/distance to the event, it's more around the average journey time/distance for all members who would be interested in attending.

I suspect that the majority of attendees will be 3 hours plus, and I'm one of those. Had it been in the Midlands or closeby then the majority of users would be within 3 hours.

That won't make a difference to the core regular membership, but to make the event a true success in my eyes then it must have a broader appeal than that, which means closer to more people.

Of course what makes it a success may well be different for each of us - and possibly different to the view of the committee - and so we must consider that.

For me the number of attendees is critical, as that will influence the feel of the day, will influence appeitite of those who are unsure whether to attend or not, influence the attractiveness for sponsors, stall holders, etc, and ultimately the bang for the buck for each person that buys a ticket.

I really don't want to be negative - I'll be doing my very best to attend - but there is a risk that this will be a small event in a beautiful venue rather than a National Day. If that's the intention, then perfect. If it's not the attention, it may not be too late.

That would be the diplomatic way to put it :thumb:

<sigh>

anyway, moving on.....

Where exactly is the venue? postcode please?

THREE HOURS, FIFTY EIGHT MINUTES, 214 MILES AND NO MOTORWAY FOR THE LAST 90 MILES

WHO HAD THAT IDEA THEN? EH?

Sounds great, where do I sign. See you there.

For those looking for somewhere interesting to spend Saturday night other than in a tent getting cold and wet, or in a caravan getting wet and suffering poisoning from the gas heater, it would appear that our beloved leaders have picked a location only about 10 miles from Portmeirion. Not a cheap place to stay but very, er, not wales.

I live in Wales and it's still 4 hours drive away.

Great!

4 hours of Summer driving and not one single, boring motorway - which is where I do around 50k miles a year.

Think about it, we're all members of a motoring forum. why the hell would you whine about having to drive your pride and joy???

I think that I'll bring the SLK, should be a blast on the types of road I'll be driving and the roof can be down all the way.

Sounds like there's going to be speeding tickets a-plenty ....

264 miles and 5 hr 10 minutes for me ....

That translates to about 4 1/2 hours as the route planner is always slow ;)

Doubt i'll be able to get the weekend off anyway , it's peak season ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom